different account, same story

Veronika2
Level 3
Emsworth, United Kingdom

different account, same story

Hi All

I had an enquiry a month or so ago from a newly regiestered person. My policy is only accept fully verified bookings and prefer people who have reviews. 

This person wasnt verified yet, but despite that she seemed very keen and we exchanged messages and I preapproved her. Then she kept saying she was having problems with the verification and could she book outside airbnb. I said no, only through airbnb. Then they didnt complete the verification in time and went silent. 

a few weeks later she messaged again, requesting different dates. I declined it, as I felt uncomfortable and also I wasnt sure I wont need the place during some of her dates. 

now I just got an enquiry from a different, again newly registered account with no full verification, but with a similar story (needs the place for therapy for her child, mother might be joining them, need about a month). I looked it up, there is a child therapy centre near us so that is true. So now I have a suspicion, that this is the same person as before or the same story at least.

If I turn her down again, would I get penalised by airbnb? also is there a way for airbnb to check if it's a scam account? or genuine? 

and would I keep getting messages from different accounts? has anyone had anything similar?

Thanks

Veronika 

2 Replies 2
Scott80
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

If you require verification and they have not done it there is no penilty in turning them down. Just write to them that they are welcome to book after they are verified. Also there is no way for AirBnB (or anyone else for that matter) to determine with certainty if an account is a scam account or genuine. The most stringent requirements is to require verification and no negitive reviews from prior hosts. 

Veronika2
Level 3
Emsworth, United Kingdom

Thanks. I am just not sure about hosting even if they get verified. I know I can turn down requests for 'I am uncomfortable with this guests' - but if I do, what is the best to say that is polite but they dont come back again? 

I just found the similarities suspicious. Would be good to know if anyone had a similar experience.