different amounts for monthly electric bills

Answered!

different amounts for monthly electric bills

TWO QUESTIONS ACTUALLY

YES I have a person who wishes to rent my ski condo for the whole winter, for the SIX months that constitute the ski season
I agree I have reactivated the condo concerned and I will ask the person to request it to rent it

BUT for the price I would need the scale you want to use to bid !!
in other words I need to make her an offer and need the form you use for that

The guest who wants to rent the condo for the winter season will also have to pay the electric bills as extra. The amounts are different each month and they can go from under 100 $ to over 250$ a month.....

IS IT POSSIBLE to set a large security deposit and at the end of the season take the amount from that security deposit.

I have been renting in the past on my own or through an agency and this is the way I would like to do it IF this is possible on airbnb..............

I.e. i would like to set a security deposit of 1000$ lets say take the electric bills from that at the end of the rental????

I am going to send this also to the 'community' to see what they come up with.....

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Merrily2 I totally agree with @Lorna170 Do not rent long-term with Airbnb - If you do you will have zero protection if something goes wrong.

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Merrily2   AirBnB does not collect a security deposit, and does not give you any information about the guest that would allow you to collect for damages.  Do Not rent your condo for 6 months using AirBnB.  You should get a local realtor to draw a contract and get a security deposit and the first months rent and make provisions for the guest to pay the utility bills.  AirBnB does not guarantee payment after the first month.  

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Merrily2 I totally agree with @Lorna170 Do not rent long-term with Airbnb - If you do you will have zero protection if something goes wrong.

Again I could not use an airbnb contact to go to an agent?? I wouldnt think it would be alloed

If you take this step, use a lease with a termination date. Spell out the terms. Also - we build the price of utilities into the price. Just build the average into the price and pay the bill to make sure the utilities don't get turned off (that happened to us when I was a long term landlord and the tenant didn't pay his bills).

OK sounds like a good way to do it.  DO you rent for the long lease THROUGH Airbnb? I want to continue with them for this 

@Merrily2  No. This is exactly what other hosts are telling you not to do.

Ok yes I do understand not to go through airbnb for long-term lease.

Of course I would like this person to lease my condo but how in good conscience do I contact a person I have "met" through airbnb and hook up to a local real estate person.

Merrily

@Merrily2   You could rent to this person for the first month through AirBnB.  That is what AirBnB will guarantee.  After that, you could have the guest sign a regular lease/contract for the remaining months, and AirBnB is not longer involved -- even for insurance.

I obviously cannot rent to this person through Airbnb not even for a short period of time

But since the contact was made through airbnb

Can i give her another option to rent the condo -- by sending her to an agency.

I will also ask this same question to Airbnb support. 

IMPORTANT I MUST ADD THE PROPERTY IS AT A SKI AREA IN VERMONT................. 

Monaco is just my personal address not the address of the condo.

@Merrily2  NO, you DO NOT not want to ask support. They will kick you off Airbnb if you try to rent privately to a guest by talking about that to the guest through Airbnb messaging. 

Rent to her for 2 or 3 weeks through Airbnb. Once her booking is confirmed, you will have her phone number, then you can make private arrangements with her for the remainder of the 6 months.

Hi thanks for the idea I did send the message to Airbnb support but on the same thread that they had insinuated that it was alright to get in touch with her.

I have had no private discussions with her without mentioning airbnb 

I m just going to say no – she was nice but I’m sure it will rent on it’s own -- it always has in the past it was only on Airbnb to try  for short term rentals for the summer.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Merrily2

Curious as to the arrangement you came to eventually? Did it work out? 

Hi Mary 996 Trouble with  message through Airbnb  –

I already wrote this but it didn’t send.

I am leaving the situation it as is – The way things are going AGAIN this year you never know what is going to happen as far as change goes. Even with a high electric bill what I am getting from her on the rental which is not quite  2 months (seasonal is 6 months) I am not going to lose. I have till 7 feb and things are going pretty well now!! Since Nov 1 when it would have been off the market I have made up the difference and lots of time till 7th Feb when she gets here.  Sorry it took so long to answer.