dilemma on how to proceed about damage caused by guest

dilemma on how to proceed about damage caused by guest

hi, I wrote here yesterday about an expensive oven's timer that was broken by guests. I

I'm not sure how to proceed from here.

basiclly I'm sure they didn't mean to break it, and they were nice people overall, but at the same time, the timer was pushed really forcefully the wrong direction, until it broke. this is a universal home appliance, i think it's safe to say most people from modern countries know how to operete an oven. plus, if it didn't work they could've asked me about it. I was in the house the whole time they were here.

is it agreeable to hold them acountable for the damage? plus, I still haven't called a technition so I don't know 100% what the cost would be (allthough I can estimate).

would apreciate you advice, thank you!

5 Replies 5
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

FIrst you need to report the damage within 48 hours to Airbnb - if you didnt then you cant claim on the deposit. You have already stated that you don't know which guest did the damage so it's going to be impossible to claim unless a guest owns up to it.

@Gerry-And-Rashid0

I also said I did find who the guest was. but it seems since it's been 48 hours then its too late.

Peter0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Yeela0 a number of us helped you out by responding the first time you put the question.  I am not going to reply again but suggest that you take the advice which we offered to you there rather than asking all over again.  

@Peter0

hi Peter, this a totaly different question. as I stated I found out who the guest was. no one replied in the original msg, partly because I've just learned you need to tag people in this forum to get their attention.

all the best

Peter0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Yeela0 You should still go ahead and approach the guest even though it is more than 48 hours.  If they caused you damage, they have a legal and moral obligation to put you right.  Most guests are honest and if they realise that they have taken your things they are likely to return or pay you.  If it matters to you then I suggest you just calmly message them through Airbnb perhaps adding "would you like me to request this amount through the resolution center?"

Good luck.  You can let me know how it goes by using @Peter