dishonest couple brought kids and grandma, how do I review?

dishonest couple brought kids and grandma, how do I review?

Hi fellow hosts, please help, what would you suggest?  Last weekend I had a couple booked.  I dont think they expected me to be there to greet them.  "Mum" pulled up with three kids in the car but was quick to reassure me that Dad and grandma were close behind and Grandma would take the kids to stay with her .  This sounded plausible enough, I welcomed them and then went to the movies, and turned my phone on silent.  At about 9.30 pm I checked my phone and had a message from the Mum saying the kids were in love with the place and wanted to stay, how much would it cost?

I was very unhappy about the three kids staying as my maximum accomodation is four people but I felt bad turning them away as it was quite late, so I sent a message which said  "I do not accept booking of five people, but as I have only just received your message and it is quite late th children may stay.  please use the spare mattress and linen and do not let any of them sleep on the couches or use the cushions as pillows".  She assured me she would and she payed the extra.   THe following morning I popped in with extra bread, milk and eggs for the extra guests and found Granma there too!   Did you stay last nigh too? I asked her. "No no I drove home last night and came back this morning."  (She lived about 50km away over the othe side of the city.)  The next morning the six of them were still there.  I passed by early and saw Grandma packing up her car.  THe cushions had been taken upstairs and clearly used as bedding.  At least some of them must have slept on the couches as I could not accomodate six in beds.   I am not concerned with the extra money from Granma, I just feel taken for a fool and abused and feel that these cheats and liars should be exposed.  what would other hosts advise?   I have never left a bad review but feel that other hosts should be warned. Thanks. 

7 Replies 7
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Wow, @Linda142  Your listing is beautiful!  Writing a negative review is difficult for hosts with big hearts, but as part of the host community, I appreciate the honest review.  According to your observations, the guest was not respectful of your house rules.  Additionally, their explanation of the inclusion of the kids does not ring true as you mention, so communication is poor.  Please don't sugar coat your review.  

THanks so much Linda for taking the time to reply.  You are right of course, and I just needed some encouragement to be brave and write a bad review.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Linda142

You tell the truth and warn other Host about their activities,

Something like this:

“They were a lovely couple that booked, I managed to fit the kids and grandma in as well even though none of these additional guests were on the original booking what a hoot, I think Grandma decided to stay because my house was so comfortable and she didn’t want to make the drive to her own house 50km away, by all means accept these good and Honest people as guest if you like surprises”

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow.

Thanks Cormac, I love the sarcastic tone and think I will follow this example!  Linda

You can't warn other hosts since you didn't leave and honest review. The likelyhood you will ever see these people again is probably minimal. Be honest in the future. It's only fair to other hosts that might end up hosting these dishonest people in the future.

Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

Hi @Linda142 it's so awful when guests take advantage of a hosts good nature.   They absolutely intended to scam you, there was no way that it all went down as described by the guests.

If you can't bring yourself to leave an actual negative review, at least give them a 'thumbs down' so that they can't use IB with hosts that have that requirement.

Thanks Maria, I didn,t realise you could just leave a thumbs down without writing a review.  Good to know. Cheers Linda