dishonest hosts who advertise wifi that is unusable

Julian1134
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

dishonest hosts who advertise wifi that is unusable

i need wifi for my job. i need wifi to stream content. I NEED WIFI!.

whenever i stay in airbnb places that advertise wifi, the wifi is unusable. airbnb's response? "move to another place". 

hosts are contractually obliged (according to what airbnb have told me) to ensure that if they advertise wifi then it must work uninterrupted. i just stayed in a place that had the worst wifi i've ever encountered. it was unusable. the last place i stayed in was also advertising wifi which again was unusable. 

i've already told airbnb to get hosts to run a speed test on their wifi, screenshot the result and then post the screenshot on their listing. this allows guests to make an informed decision as to whether the wifi is going to be suitable for their needs. the last host i complained about said, "this is a holiday house and you shouldn't be working". yes really. 

it's like arriving at a listing to discover the bed has no mattress. 

**[Inappropriate content removed - Community Center Guidelines]

97 Replies 97

@Helen350 

Empirical evidence has the upper hand here if you read the posts.

You do know the moral of the  "Chicken Licken" story don't you?

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

@Julian1134  Julian, you come on here and the first thing you say is "its hosts are mostly dishonest (usually middle-aged home-owners who were born pre-internet and don't know how it works and still think wifi is some weird luxury item that we use to send emails and nothing else". You've obviously had a crappy experience with a hosts wifi but to claim  hosts are mostly dishonest (how on earth can you even start to prove that???)  is below the belt, and I highly doubt you'd get any sympathy here with that self centred attitude. 

Going on to your uninterrupted and no buffering internet requirement NO ONE (no matter what Airbnb says) can can say that 100% for sure they can give you that.  For example, every now and again my internet drops momentarily or we have a power cut, that is out of my control.  Also, and you should know this being so savvy, you say " i've already told airbnb to get hosts to run a speed test on their wifi, screenshot the result and then post the screenshot on their listing",  internet speeds fluctuate depending on what time of day it is due to the demands of the network, especially recently due to many people working from home, so the reading they give will not be the same all of the time.

Also you haven't clearly explained what your issue was. You complain that the last 2 hosts did not give you the wifi speed/service you expected. What happened exactly? And what kind of speed do you require for your work Julian? 

You come on here and moan all you want but many hosts on this forum have experienced guests like yourself and the way you've introduced yourself leaves little sympathy. 

@Robbie54 

robbie, I started a thread and made a suggestion about how to improve the airbnb experience for everyone. do you think airbnb is perfect? if that's the case then I thank you for your snarky comments and sorry to have caused you to explode. 

if I tell you that in the overwhelming majority of cases my experience of airbnb wifi has been left wanting then you are the one being arrogant in asserting that I am misrepresenting myself. but worse than that, you commit an obvious straw man fallacy. at no point did I suggest or claim that fluctuations in signal were part of my complaint. did I? so in that respect you've already proved yourself to be manipulative and dishonest. congrats for that.

there are dishonest people in the world. agreed? there are dishonest people who host on airbnb. agreed?

good....we're making progress and I am giving you an online tutorial in epistemology gratis. consider yourself lucky.

there are hosts who deliberately pay the least amount possible in order to offer wifi as an amenity. I know this because I have ex-friends who do just that. their motive? profit. do you think they are alone?

I was due to stay in a place in malaga (cancelled because of covid). the host has a photo of the wifi speed on his listing. check it out - 'my cozy nook', fuengirola. 

I wonder whether you (and others here) would be so free and easy with their insults if they were face to face with the person they are insulting. I insulted no individual. I ascribed the 'dishonesty' label to a sub-set of a group of users whom I assume to be decent and trading responsibly and fairly.

you have no interest in engaging in discussion - you just want to rant and be nasty. job done.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Julian1134 

- I see NO nastiness, no snarkiness, no ranting, & no arrogance from @Robbie54 here.... And no explosion either!

He sounds like the voice of reason to me.

It's a convention here on the CC that we are polite & respectful of each other even when we disagree......

I think Robbie has stuck to the rules.....

Robbie54
Level 10

@Julian1134 you came on here not to suggest on how to improve wifi expectations, you came on here ranting about most hosts being dishonest, and you know it. Yes, you are correct there are dishonest people who host on Airbnb, however you clearly said "most" hosts are dishonest, or have you conveniently forgotten that? 

And your last comment is laughable, very hypocritical and ironic, it beggars belief that you actually wrote it. Rant and be nasty?? Check out your first message Julian and you'll see rant and nasty written all over it. 

@Robbie54 

"Yes, you are correct there are dishonest people who host on Airbnb, however you clearly said "most" hosts are dishonest, or have you conveniently forgotten that?"

no Robbie. I stand by what I said and I will happily re-iterate for you again here. in my experience the majority of hosts I have stayed with have been dishonest about their wifi capability.

and here's an example for you:

here's an example for you.  check out the following listing which I rented for two months.

the host told me the wifi was 'fine'. it wasn't. wifi speed isn't measured in fine-ness....it's measured in mbps. the host told me it was the best she could get at the property. this wasn't true. how do I know? because I called a local ISP and asked them if they could install super fast wifi to the property. and you know what? they said they could. and they did.....because I arranged and installed it for the host (Pilar). and she thanked me for it. she now has continuous wifi and everyone can read my review and they will know what wifi to expect if they stay in this place.

here's an example for you. 

check out the following listing which I rented for two months.

the host told me the wifi was 'fine'. it wasn't. wifi speed isn't measured in fine-ness....it's measured in mbps. the host told me it was the best she could get at the property. this wasn't true. how do I know? because I called a local ISP and asked them if they could install super fast wifi to the property. and you know what? they could. and they did.....because I arranged and installed it for the host

**[Personal information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

. and she thanked me for it. 

you have done nothing but insult and you're doing it now. I have no idea why. I haven't ranted at all. am I ranting now? I simply stated my experience and I have backed it up with hard evidence. 

Robbie54
Level 10

I have not insulted you anywhere @Julian1134 , please point out where I have. The fact that you included a post about my children says everything I need to know about you. Truly despicable. 

@Robbie54 

"I have not insulted you anywhere @Julian1134 , please point out where I have."

and then you proceeded to call me 'truly despicable.' 

I mean seriously.....'truly despicable'? 

here are other insulting things you said,

'self centred', 'laughable', very hypocritical.'

you also behaved sarcastically throughout. 

"....and you should know this being so savvy,"

"it beggars belief that you actually wrote it."

your insults are way over to one side of extreme. I think fred west was truly despicable, and Pol Pot, and stalin and hitler......but Julian sims? really? truly despicable? for asking if that's how you engage with your kids? 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Some people may be better suited to a hotel environment. 

Robbie54
Level 10

Hotel wifi is the worst, hands down. 

@Robbie54 

now I'm beginning to understand you more. what an utterly stupid blanket assertion. your evidence?

Robbie54
Level 10

@Julian1134 if you think hotel wifi is acceptable (I'm assuming your comment points to that) book a hotel room in the future, I think it might be best.

@Robbie54 

thanks Robbie 

you said, "hotel wifi is the worst, hands down". and I asked you for evidence. you have none. it's a blanket statement that goes for nothing. 

trying to engage with you is like playing chess with a pigeon.....the pigeon knocks all the pieces over, sh**s on the board, then flies back to its flock in triumph.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Julian1134 

Visit us in the Lake District. I can't think of a better place to work remotely 😀

We had the foresight to fit 1GB Optical about 2 years ago, we get 1GB at the termination (986) at the router, if your equipment could handle that(!), and each WIFI disc measures between 250-450mbs. (We have a redundant second 1GB too, just in case data consumption necessarily increases in the future).

Out of interest, we don't normally publicise this on our listing as the last thing we want is some guest staying with the intention of running some torrent through the connection, but generally, we can cope with having 8 guests connected, 4 additional online working from home, 6 other devices and TV streaming. This all seems to work fine. Often, a fast connection anywhere is a great benefit and could actually be a great benefit and opportunity for those who have it in advertising their listings. I would agree that as a marketing tool, listing WIFI speeds could be a great advantage.

Many hosts don't have this capability, as networks don't provide the infrastructure to support it, and I would agree that WIFI can be a real PIA if it doesn't work as expected.

We have had guests enquire prior to booking about the WIFI in order to support conference calls, and the same information as above was provided. I'd guess, that even if it was in the House Information, I'd still get the same enquiries since nobody seems to read the information anyway, and often guests do tend to seek confirmation of it all as well.

Robbie54
Level 10

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0  How is your home connected to fibre? Does it go straight to your house from the exchange or the BT cabinet?