do i need to provide breakfast

Jan13
Level 3
Baylys Beach, New Zealand

do i need to provide breakfast

I am planning a holiday and wanting to stay at Airbnb places.

I am a host myself and this is a new adventure for me, being a guest.

I have just looked at a place however, breakfast is NOT provided. Nothing provided so I cna make my own. 

I thought bnb meant bed and breakfast.

How come a host can be on this site and not provide breakfast? That's the point of staying at a bnb surely.

Interested in Airbnb thoughts. 

189 Replies 189

@Burak31  Dude.  You must be loads of fun at parties.

@Burak31  WOW!!  How judgmental!!  Not all hosts are conveniently located near or on the premises as their rentals.  Are you calling me lazy and hateful of the human race because I don’t get out of bed in the morning, drive 50 minutes to our cottage to provide breakfast for our guests, drive 50 minutes back home, then get ready for work in time for me to catch the 7:20 a.m. train to Boston?  We provide K-Cups, Tea Bags, snacks, bottled water for our guests.  But according to you, I am lazy and hateful of the human race.  @Sarah977 said it perfectly.  It is the name of the company.  Period.  

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Oh my goodness, what an absolutely wonderful accommodation you offer, Jan, straight out of Paradise on the ocean!

In your case, living in a small village or just outside of it, I clearly understand your offering breakfast. Brilliant touch.

My translation of bnb for myself in urban setting is bed-no-breakfast. (most hosts here in the city of Amsterdam don't offer breakfast, but usually give access to the kitchen.)

That's the nice thing about Airbnb - you can choose what you offer or don't, just make it clear in the listing.

When I travel I actually prefer to go to a coffee shop or diner for breakfast, instead of running the risk of generic breakfast food.

My apartment set-up and working day doesn't allow catering to serve breakfast. However, I have a mini-fridgeand water kettle/tea selection/nespresso maker/koffie capsules  (and glasses, cups, bowls, plates, some simple cutlery) in the guest room.

I'm sure it's also a decision dependent  on how far away the listing is from a decent breakfast. My neighborhood happily  has a number of places you can go to.

Airbnb doesn't just mean traditional Bed&Breakfast, it is actually a much broader concept. 

When I travel, food is a big part of my experience - I always go for local food. If there is no east breakfast place around the place I am staying, I just grab some simple food(fruit, dessert, snack, etc) the day before and just keep myself not hungry - and wait for a big lunch.

@Jan13  If you want to find a place serving breakfast, you can click on the amenity section, and click 'apply filter'.

All of my listings are located in the very 'trendy' area of one of the biggest cities in the world, basically everything is here. 

For food, the most trendy restaurant street is right next to my place, most are awesome(unless they are great and popular, they cannot survive this street)  so my guests can find anything from simple to 20 course, cheap to posh, local to fusion, 24/7.

Also a lot of my guests are on the younger side - they go out at night, come home late, wake up late, most skip breakfast anyway.

It is way better for both my guests and me to not include the breakfast and give cheaper rate. 

If they want to cook themselve (usually longer term guests), they can most certainly do so - I provide kitchen and cooking tools, there is a traditional market, as well as 5 supermarkets in 5 min walking distance.

Since I provide the entire apartment to my guests with their own kitchen, does me stocking the kitchen with eggs, cereal, tec, coffee, etc. mean Breakfast is included?

I don't have the capability of making the breakfast for the guests, but have provided the guests with utencils, stove etc. to make it on their own.

Does that qualify providing breakfast? Or does it mean that I will need to prepare and serve the breakfast mean I provide breakfast to the guests?

@Rishi4, sounds to me like you are supplying breakfast. You don't have to cook it. That would be supplying a personal chef.

: ) regards, Christine.

In New York City, you can't walk half a block without finding a place to have a great breakfast.  Some people actually come to NY looking to have a NY breakfast, even.  I did a search for NY, NY, neighborhood-Manhattan, no dates chosen, with all the amenities I provide and breakfast checked and there was only one.  Without breakfast, there were five, including mine.  My hours are inevitably way different from my guests', I work at night, so I'm not awake at the proverbial breakfast time.  I have found that maybe only 10 percent of folks want to eat breakfast in.  For those folks, they are welcome to use the kitchen.  I'm not a coffee or tea drinker, so I'm not facile with all that stuff, but I probably should figure out how to make the coffee maker start at some early hour in the a.m., and put the teas and cups and whatnot out.   

Reno, thank you for the tip about searching your own rental area using the breakfast amenity.  Never thought to do that!  Found that there are no listings in my area with same price range for whole house providing breakfast.  Good information to know!

Michael-and-Kirstin0
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

I'm a little perplexed about this too.

We manage 4 venues and are adding more.

For the past 2 years I've always seleted the "Breakfast (provided)" option under Amenities and then laid on:

Coffee/Tea/Milk/sugar/2 cereals/fruit juice and yogurt

That, to me, is breakfast.

Never in over 100 groups have I had a single misunderstanding on this.

But this weekend I have a group of 5 in a 2 bedroom apartment, living there on our steeply cut winter rates, having a total fit that they thought they were getting cold meats and cheeses too.

Where they got that idea I don't know.

They're advising that I'm falsely advertising and that I don't offer breakfast - and basically want half their money back.

Well... If I were to lay on pork, it would offend Jews and Moslems.

If I lay on beef, then Hindus would be offended.

I'm sure somebody out there is offended by eggs and other forms of chicken.

Someone else is wheat or lactose intolerant.

Where does one draw the line with what is and isn't breakfast?

We thousht we were being the good guys.

If the specific type of breakfast was important to them, they should have asked. Perhaps you would have even found a way to politely provide something they found acceptable. On Airbnb, listing breakfast as an amenity does not require any specific foods and the foods you provide are standard continental breakfast fare. I would politely suggest they shove it. 

I don't say I do breakfast, but there's coffee (machine), teas, milk, juice, biscuits, and fruit.  That way, no one is disappointed.  I don't do cereals because different people want different things and then what isn't eaten is thrown out...and I hate waste.  I have full kitchens, so everyone can do their own cooking. 

In my accommodation I provide welcome home made biscuits, tea and coffee home made jams and dried fruit. Fresh fruit from our trees in season. We are 16 km from a shop and my guests love the hospitality, this is what we are renowned for. Some Asians do not eat everything and bring their own, they still love to photograph themselves with the fruit trees.

This sounds divine! 🙂 

@Michael-and-Kirstin0, Call it a continental breakfast to cover yourself if you're just doing the yogurt/muffins/cereal/fruit menu.

@Michael-and-Kirstin0, it's a cultural thing.

Cold cuts and cheeses are normal for some communities for breakfast, for others it's noodles, etc

Just adjust your online description and details to give a basic idea of what you provide so it's available at the pre-planning stage. It becomes your go to back-up when issues of distress arise.

They were probably upset because they were hungry. That makes little kids cranky, lol.

It doesn't cost much for a host to supply a range of breakfast items, but for guests to pay at a cafe for breakfast each day, is expensive if travellers were not factoring this into their budget.

I got my first complaint about not supplying an item that a recent guest thought would be standard........ It's awkward. but....it will happen from time to time.

As for guests taking responsibility for letting you know if there is something in particular they want, that's not going to happen for the things they are expecting 'cause they think that you will already have it.

Best regards,

Christine