do i need to provide breakfast

Jan13
Level 3
Baylys Beach, New Zealand

do i need to provide breakfast

I am planning a holiday and wanting to stay at Airbnb places.

I am a host myself and this is a new adventure for me, being a guest.

I have just looked at a place however, breakfast is NOT provided. Nothing provided so I cna make my own. 

I thought bnb meant bed and breakfast.

How come a host can be on this site and not provide breakfast? That's the point of staying at a bnb surely.

Interested in Airbnb thoughts. 

189 Replies 189
Roger11
Level 2
Houston, TX

Hey there,

I wanted to know if providing 5 different types of Kellogs (with of course milk and coffee and Juice, bread, butter and marmelade) would be considered like a breakfast ?

Thank you for your answers !

I do something simiiar. Just make it clear in the listing that it is a simple cold breakfast.

Great ideas, folks!

Thankyou!

Susan589
Level 1
Tampa, FL

I am travelling as a guest for the first time and was VERY dissapointed that NOTHING was provided for breakfast.  Not even tea/coffee!

Punam0
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Susan589

Hi Susan, you can't assume breakfast will be provided everywhere you go.  it's important that guests read everything and understand what is available to them before they book with Airbnb.  This is a big problem for hosts when guests don't read everything. I have been hosting for 2 years now and like to make sure that all guests read EVERYTHING before they arrive. I also work full time so dont have time for guests in the morning. Every host runs their Airbnb differently and that's what's so great about it.  Also, I have a lot of guests who have stayed from all over the world. It is hard to accomodate food preferences for all cultures. I have used Airbnb as a guest myslef all over the world and there has only been a couple places which has provided breakfast.  

Anyway, as you are a host yourself, I am sure you know how to use the filter when searching for accomodation next time. I hope you didn't write a bad review because of it. 

Was the bnb at a very low price or priced moderately? Mine is priced low ($30 a night) but I do give my guests unlimited Keurig use with tea/coffee , as well as bottled water and snacks in the room. I'm walking distance to lots of restaurants so getting breakfast is quick and easy for them.  I don't advertise the snacks and water because I want that to be a pleasant surprise....

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Susan589

Every airbnb is different, so you cannot assume that anything at all is provided.  I just stayed in an airbnb (room with private bathroom) and was pleasantly surprised that there was a small fridge, a microwave and coffee & tea making facilities in the room.  

For many, hosting is not a full time occupation and host will not be there in the morning to cater breakfast for their guests.  If you want breakfast, you need to use the booking filter to find those who do offer this amenity. Or pay a little more and stay at a traditional B&B that is licenced to do breakfast.

If you rent an entire house/apartment it is more like a holiday rental, there will be cooking facilities and you are supposed to make your own breakfast.  

Ayesha-and-Tom0
Level 1
Malton, United Kingdom

I always state we offer a 'light-help yourself breakfast' which includes toast, cereal, porridge etc. I think as hosts we have enough to manage without catering for every persons dietery needs. Just make sure it's clear it's a light breakfast and guests can help themselves if they need.

I have three new guests everyday, every week, the idea of making them breakfast each morning would send me crazy!

Carolyn122
Level 3
Albuquerque, NM

I work mornings and am usually at work before our average guest wakes up. This means no making breakfast for me. We do leave Keurig machine with an assortment of teas and coffees then we have a snack box we leave filled for the guests. It has a "breakfast mix" of nuts and espresso beans, three different kinds of granola bars (one organic, one vegan, one regular. Cookies, chips and popcorn.   Except for a few weeks a year we are not a travel desitination so we mostly have people stopping for a night driving elsewhere. They really seem to enjoy grabbing a granola bar with a cup of coffee and hitting the road. So far we have not been asked for anything additional and no one has complained. We do have a fuly stocked kitchen pots pans and utensil wise but putting fruits and breads in the apartment turned into us throwing out a lot of food so we stopped. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Certainly for my listings there is a box to check if you supply Breakfast so it should be clear to somebody booking if Breakfast is supplied.

For me it is a price issue, I could do it but would add $20 a night ish to the room rate, most people that book through AirBnb seem to prefer the cheaper rate.

David
Sandra734
Level 1
Brittas Bay, Ireland

Hi Jan,

We are located in a reasonably remote area (7km from nearest local shop) so I came up with a solution which seems to work well with guests.  I have a separate fridge which I keep stocked with basics (bread/croissants, milk, OJ, cheese, meat, yogurt, butter, jam) and cereal, tea & coffee is provided also and this is self-service for guests.  Additionally, I offer to provide a traditional Irish cooked breakfast (made with our own eggs etc.) for an extra charge if guests request on arrival.  This is obviously useful for our location and absolutely not necessary in urban locations.

Enjoy being a guest, I am sure you will pick up a few tips along the way.

Sandra

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

In your case. It is understandable about the air bnb wording. However, you as a host have choices. If you are ever IN Brooklyn NYC  and want to experience the city that never sleeps. You are more than welcome to come to my air bnb for an experience and food will be provided. 

HeatherAndJohn0
Level 2
Kingston, Canada

My husband and I are Superhosts. A full hot breakfast is a very important part of our Airbnb service. I think that hosts really miss out when they don't offer this. People seek us out because of the reviews of our breakfasts. It also gives us and our guests a time to get to know each other. We make recommendations of things to see in our beautiful town Kingston Ontario. And we can also recommend restaurants for them to have lunch and dinner. We are flexible as to when the guest wants to have breakfast. We really cater to their wishes so it is a very customized experience. In our minds, breakfast is an integral part of the experience of Airbnb. And it is something we look for when we travel too. At a time when Airbnb is encouraging people to provide "experiences" for their guests, it seems that this heightens that aspect. A nice breakfast does not have to be expensive. Our guests love to come back when they are in town. It certainly works for us. And we can charge more than the average price too. 

@HeatherAndJohn0

I used to do Breakfast and may do it in the future, a proper breakfast.

I supply cereal etc now.

It has been some time but I was then charging about $20 a room per night for this, how much extra do you charge?

Just wonder how much business I would lose vs gain, most people seem not that bothered and prefer the cheaper price.

David

We include breakfast in our rate. During the summer we start at $80 for the first person and then $15 for each additional person plus $15 for cleaning. We can take up to 4 people in the party. In the off season we start at $70. Guests often mention the breakfast in our reviews. And we have breakfast in the heading of our listing.