do i need to provide breakfast

Jan13
Level 3
Baylys Beach, New Zealand

do i need to provide breakfast

I am planning a holiday and wanting to stay at Airbnb places.

I am a host myself and this is a new adventure for me, being a guest.

I have just looked at a place however, breakfast is NOT provided. Nothing provided so I cna make my own. 

I thought bnb meant bed and breakfast.

How come a host can be on this site and not provide breakfast? That's the point of staying at a bnb surely.

Interested in Airbnb thoughts. 

189 Replies 189
Evelyn0
Level 10
Arkport, NY

With airbnb it's up to the host what they decide to provide. Some provide breakfast, some cook it, some is self serve. It depends on the host. 

The best learning experience for a host is to be a guest at an airbnb. 

Punam0
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

I also do not provide breakfast, but, do provide tea, coffee and milk.  But that's why I keep my prices lower. Most places I have stayed at as a guest have not provided breakfast.  I could provide some simple bread and cereals....but I have found from  previous guests, that they are fussy!  I find that guests from Europe tend not to like the bread here in New Zealand (and I am not going the extra mile to bake my own bread) and guests from asia like to have noodles for breakfast! Then there are other things to consider...allergies, vegan diets etc. So to keep it simple, I don't provide food. It's a lot easier as I work full time and wouldnt have the time to tend to everyones different needs. 

If you have the time to provide breakfast, and you have costed that into your daily rate, AND enjoy it...then continue doing what you are doing! You have a lot of great reviews.

Can i bring my own food and cook my own Breakfast. 

If your Host allows Kitchen access, yes.

David

@Bob159

That all depends on the host and the property.  Ask the host and read the house rules carefully.  Every airbnb host is different.

Sorry, but I vehemently disagree. If you are a host on Airbnb, you are misrepresenting your service if you don’t serve breakfast. The 2nd “b” stands for breakfast. Period. Communicate with guests prior to their arrival and have SOME form of preferred breakfast available. It doesn’t have to be a monumental event, but something must represent the “breakfast” part of hosting. 

Punam0
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Yvette109 Do you provide an Airbed? like the name 'AIR' bnb suggests?

@Yvette109   There are no requirements for hosts to provide breakfast, in spite of how you personally interpret the name of the company.

If you wish to provide breakfast for your guests, that's really nice and I'm sure they appreciate it, but telling other hosts that they are "misrepresenting your service" is way off the mark. 

In case you didn't notice, Breakfast is an amenity that Airbnb hosts have the option of checking or not.

Do you really think all those management companies that now have entire apartment or house listings, with self-check-in and no human contact, send someone around to make breakfast for the guests?

Please reread my comment. Making breakfast is not the expectation; however providing food for breakfast meets the 2nd b in Airbnb. Otherwise, by law it is misrepresenting as a host now only offers an Airb. BTW,  this is currently a litigated issue in the courts. It’s more than a listing in the amenities-it’s in the name of the business.

COMMUNICATE with guests, and particularly don’t list breakfast if it’s not an option.

Punam0
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Yvette109 please re-read my comments. I don't have to tell people up front that breakfast is not available as I already dont have it as available in my amenities.  I also dont communicate that the beds are not airbeds...do you expect air-beds everywhere you stay?

So Punam, you offer an Airb. I’ll make note of that. 

Punam0
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

nope. not even Airb.  just 'b'  haaaahaaaaaa.

You can't take the name Airbnb literally is the point I am trying to make. 

I'm new to Airbnb as a host and just stumbled across this site.  I my town, if you are an Airbnb and serve anything other than prepacked donughts you are required to subject your establishment to obtaining a restaurant license and 3-4 per year health inspections as well as obtaining your certificate to handle food.  Basically just like any other restaurant in town.  

Robert1436
Level 1
Tydd Saint Giles, United Kingdom

I am so pleased to read your comments as I totally agree with you.

I am from the U.K. and travelling around western Australia using Airbnb while we wait for the container ship carrying our off roader to arrive at Fremantle 

So far we have found that there is a wide variation as to what host say in the description they offer, not only with regards to breakfast,  but with misleading general information and pictures.

Due to this deception it unlikey  that I would use Airbnb in the future and certainly not before checking with the host and getting written confirmation as to what I am actually paying for. 

‘’Needless to say in the U.K. hosts would find themselves in civil courts for misrepresentation