do i need to provide breakfast

Jan13
Level 3
Baylys Beach, New Zealand

do i need to provide breakfast

I am planning a holiday and wanting to stay at Airbnb places.

I am a host myself and this is a new adventure for me, being a guest.

I have just looked at a place however, breakfast is NOT provided. Nothing provided so I cna make my own. 

I thought bnb meant bed and breakfast.

How come a host can be on this site and not provide breakfast? That's the point of staying at a bnb surely.

Interested in Airbnb thoughts. 

189 Replies 189

If you want to enter litigation over breakfast, Robert, kindly afford me the courtesy of never darkening this English woman's door.

Respectfully,

Mandi

Just as it is not illegal or wrong for The Dollar Store to charge more than a dollar for some items, even though it’s called The Dollar Store, not The Dollar Plus Store, it is not wrong or illegal for Airbnb hosts to not offer breakfast. This is why Airbnb provides a button for ‘breakfast’ as an available amenity  that hosts can turn on or off. If the breakfast amenity button is clicked off it means the host doesn’t provide breakfast. 

@Yvette109“By law??”  Really??  I would be grateful for that particular citation.  Which law is this, please?

Donald137
Level 1
Scotland, United Kingdom

What about leaving out the beds and just providing the breakfasts !

I think you missed the point. If a bed exists, it meets the requirement of the first b even if poorly. If communicated that the bed is an air mattress, then a guest knows what is offered. However, if no breakfast, the 2nd b is not met. So it’s just an Airb. 

@Yvette109   Then you should be taking the company to task for their name, not vehemently chastising hosts for choosing to provide breakfast or not. And calling us "mediocre at best". How many hosts have you stayed with who you see on this forum, that you should feel justified in characterizing us so?

I could open a business called "Stunningly Beautiful Woman Gardening Services" but I don't think anyone would be successful suing me because they didn't agree that I was stunningly beautiful.

I'm sure there are some listings that have amenities checked that are not actually provided, but I'd be surprised if they were the norm, rather than the exception.

Duly noted, Sarah in Sayulita, Mexico. You host an AirB. As I am a travel blogger, I’d be glad to share this with my subscribers. This is very helpful info for travelers. Best of luck to you. 

@Yvette109  So if every Airbnb listing only ever provided air mattresses on the floor, how would you feel about that?

I host a private room/ bedroom with full kitchen use in my home. I happen to use the Airbnb platform. I didn't make up their rules or their name.

And will you also share with your subscribers all the glowing comments my guests have made about my listing and my hosting, or are you just out to warn people about hosts who don't make them breakfast? I don't even make myself breakfast.

Punam0
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

true @Sarah977.  @Yvette109, if you complain about Airbnb's not providing breakfast, you also need to complain about Airbnbs not providing Airbeds. Otherwise it's double standards. 

I think that the confusion arises from the fact that the term 'B&B' has been around for decades and decribes an establishment that offers a bed and breakfast the following morning.  One could assume that an Airbnb offers something similar, otherwise it is a bit of a misnomer.   I also think that Yvette109 should call out the company for devising what can be interpreted as a misleading name, not the individual hosts that use the Airbnb platform.

@Punam0 

Do you check:

1. Wit;  in your Hosting amenities list?

@Punam0 wrote:

true @Sarah977.  @Yvette109, if you complain about Airbnb's not providing breakfast, you also need to complain about Airbnbs not providing Airbeds.

Otherwise it's double standards. < See what I mean? that's definitely witty>

Regards, 

Christine from Wombats at Glenbrook

@Yvette109  I think it's pretty strange that a travel blogger wouldn't understand that there are many places where offering breakfast is neither needed nor wanted. 

My guests are not at all interested in sitting around the house having breakfast when they come here. Maybe a quick coffee or tea and then they want to go into town where the action is and have breakfast at one of the approximately 250 places to eat here, then hit the beach. if I made sure to stock breakfast makings for my guests it would end up going in the compost bin.

And you might as well put all of Sayulita on the list of "Airbs" for your demanding readers, because of the 300 or more listings here, I'd say maybe 1% might offer breakfast. 

"Air" refers to the internet booking approach, not the bed.  And "B & B" means bed and breakfast.   If a host is not providing breakfast, it should be made very clear.  

Actually, "air" refers to the actual "airbed" the founders of this company offered when they first opened up shop.   The first airbnb ever was an air mattress in a San Francisco apartment. 

Perhaps there needs to be two categories of accomodations for each host. Airbnb and Airbnob. We just completed a stay with no breakfast and the coffee pot was broken. When we left we went to a breakfast restaurant 4 miles away and ordered coffee. Before we could order our breakfast, the waitress came to us to say the grill was not working and they could not serve anything hot. We left after gulping our coffee and by then is was time to consider lunch. Not a great start to our day... I agree with your post.