do i need to provide breakfast

Jan13
Level 3
Baylys Beach, New Zealand

do i need to provide breakfast

I am planning a holiday and wanting to stay at Airbnb places.

I am a host myself and this is a new adventure for me, being a guest.

I have just looked at a place however, breakfast is NOT provided. Nothing provided so I cna make my own. 

I thought bnb meant bed and breakfast.

How come a host can be on this site and not provide breakfast? That's the point of staying at a bnb surely.

Interested in Airbnb thoughts. 

189 Replies 189

lol, this guy is blaming his airbnb for something that happened at a nearby restaurant... lol

And the first part stands for Air bed so you better put your guests on an air bed instead of a real mattress, by that logic!

@Kelly58, lol, well said!!! 

Sorry to burst your bubble @Yvette0  but in Kansas City, for example, local regulation says hosts can not provide food unless they are a registered bed and breakfast. Airbnb falls under a different category than traditional bnb’s. I’ve only had one host serve breakfast and she did it as a nice courtesy. No other host has done that or left food for me. I don’t expect it.

My neighbors arrange for food if requested but at an extra cost including travel time to get it.

Hosts are exposed to additional liability not covered by insurance if a guest has an allergic reaction or gets food poisoning. There is too much waste if we have to throw food out between guests to make sure it wasn’t tampered with.

So hold your “periods” since hosts are subject to local regulations not another hosts “opinions.”

Hi Christine,

I am experiencing the same issue here in Ontario, Canada. My home insurance company (and several others I checked with) are saying if I serve ANYTHING, even a muffin bought from a local bakery, I will be considered a commercial Bed and Breakfast establishment and will need commercial insurance. I only rent out 2 rooms from time to time, loved serving a continental breakfast and couldn't believe that this was unacceptable as part of my home insurance policy. Sadly, I will no longer be serving breakfast.

Same here in Hamilton On. And you know something?  That's fine with me. 

Same here in Canada Christine

Yvette109...i agree.   If you are claiming to be a Bed and Breakfast, you must go the extra mile to provide some sort of breakfast for the guest.  I have stayed at 5 different AIRBNB in the USA and none of them provided breafast..however, in ASIA, they have always provided something even if it was just eggs, rice, and coffee.  

Punam0
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Danny299 In the 5 Airbnbs you've stayed in, did you sleep on an Air bed - like the name suggests? 

Look forward to your response.

In the USA..I've only slept on an air mattress/airbed once. And Breakfast was provided.  However, when I was in Asia Breakfast was included and yes, you either slept on an air mattress or a futon.  Heck, I even keep an air mattress and a pump in my vehicle because in Hawaii they have BYOB (b=bed).  I just think Airbnb is kinda like flippin houses...they started out with good intensions but now its just grab the money and forget about the customer that gave it to you...

@Danny299  One of the things that appeals to hosts on Airbnb is that we can choose what accommodtion and amenities we provide. The important thing is that hosts are clear in their listing descriptions about exactly what that is, and that guests actually thoroughly read through the listing descriptions, amenities, and house rules to be clear on what they're booking and ask the host questions before committing to a booking if a guest finds it unclear.

Many young travelers don't require much in the way of accommodation- as long as the place is clean and the bed is comfortable and it's budget priced, they're happy. Other people want or need more than that to be comfortable and have a nice holiday. Many guests aren't the least interested in having breakfast provided- a cup of coffee or tea and they're out the door exploring. 

It's good that there's options, no?

Yes..indeed, it's good to have options.  I'm not a picky person at all.  I can sleep anywhere and can go days without eating...I don't eat breakfast at all..but my point is If I see a sign that says Waffle House, I expect to be able to go there and buy waffles.  If they don't sell waffles I can then exercise my many options and go elsewhere. The same thing goes for AIRBNB.  The beauty is that AIRBNBs are popping up everywhere so If they don't serve breakfast (as an example) I'll just choose another one in the same location.  In the end, Only the ones that are focusing on the customer will survive.  I have contacted a few host and asked them to prominently display if they include breakfast or not...and much to my surprise each one of them has the information in bold letters in the title so the guest doesn't have to search through 7 pages of rules just to find out that the "B" doesn't mean breakfast.  The internet is suppose to make things easier.  People have busy lives.  Not everyone is sitting at their computers all day reading AIRBNB rules.  some people are at the airport scrambling to find a place for the night etc.  I try to keep the customer in mind and see things from their side  or put myself in their position...

No customer, no host..no host no Airbnb.  Peace!

Another poster indicated that the'air' part of the name refers to the fact that it is booked via phone app or a website, not an air mattress.

Punam0
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

ummm...if you read how Airbnb was started up the cofounders gave people Air mattresses. 

@Yvette109By your definition, either I or my husband must drive 50 minutes one-way to our cottage every morning when we have guests to provide breakfast to them.  Does that seem reasonable to you?  Should we no longer list on Airbnb because of that second “b?”