double booking

Della69
Level 1
Oklahoma City, OK

double booking

I rented a place in lake chapala for a month.  I was supposed to arrive in mexico on july 8th.  A week before I was to fly out a relative who had recently visited tested positive for covid  so we had to be quarintined. I have many friends there in the Chapala area and it was a rental in a very nice neighborhood. The host refused to refund or credit so I asked if my friend who does not smoke , drink or have pets, could stay there since I had paid for a full month. He agreed.  Now he is saying that she has to leave 14 days early and he is renting it to someone who will pay him $140 more per month.  Basically he offered the place at a good discount and I took the offer, now  he says he is able to rent it to someone else during my paid time because he rented too cheap to me.   Since he agreed to allow my friend to stay in my stead and I am not receiving any refund or compensation, is this legal?  Can hosts just kick you out early because someone offered him more money ? that is double booking isn't it?

1 Reply 1
Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Della69 That is so wrong on so many levels. Please contact Airbnb ASAP and have them sort this out for you- apparently Twitter is best! I am so sorry and good luck!