emf safe air bnb homes

Answered!
Barbara808
Level 3
Asheville, NC

emf safe air bnb homes

Hello, I am sensitive to intense emf radiation sources (cell towers and 'smart' meters).  I attempt to narrow down areas that I will not stay in by consulting antennae search.com and check out how many cell tower/transmitting antennae are in an area I am planning to visit.  However, this has not been safe for me in several airbnb stays.  I would like to see a speciality 'handicap' section of air bnb listings or emf websites with their own listings. I am not as sensitive as many and have been able to handle cell phones and most wireless router and entertainment systems, but trying to sleep in the path of multiple high intensity antennae is not only painful, but harmful to my health (probably to your health too, but you just haven't been overexposed).

javalass

1 Best Answer

@Barbara808, while I am not personally a believer in the dangers of EMF, I am a strong believer in the right of a guest to choose a place to stay based on whatever preference they desire.

I am guessing that there is not yet an "EMF-safe" setting on listings because there are not many guests expressing a desire to select a listing based on the EMF exposure yet. You have made a good start here by raising the issue, as the first battle for these types of things is always awareness. Please do also let AirBnB know that you would like to see this type of information included in the listing descriptions.

I imagine you also know a number of like-minded people, so if you can encourage them to also express their preference, then it raises the chance that AirBnB will do something to address your needs. Let your prospective hosts know that you would enjoy seeing this type of information in their descriptions. The more people that express this need, the most hosts will become aware that there are guests who want to know this. All things like this eventually become part of the mainstream when enough people realize there is money to be made by catering to the group with the need.

View Best Answer in original post

37 Replies 37
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Barbara808 ,

I wondered: how can we as host know our listing is "emf save" ? If even you can't track done a safe place from the mentioned website, how can we ? You also mentioned "smart meters". Do you mean those meters for measuring the use of electricity and gas in homes, buildings etc. ?

These meters are rather common in my country and maybe are even obliged in future.

(allthough i refused them recently)

Best regards, Emiel

Hello Emiel, Thank you for your comments and question.  Yes, 'smart meters' are the 2 way rf transmitting meters that utility companies place on our homes.  Radiation from the one placed on my home of 20 years by the local power company, Duke Energy, triggered my condition of electro magnetic sensitivity (EMS).  I had no rights,  as a property owner in North Carolina to have this removed.  I had to sell my home and seek safe low emf areas to live.  There is no treatment, only avoidance of high levels of wireless radiation.  

In using the antenae search website, I can only approximate an area I am checking for number of cell towers prior to making an air bnb reservation; because you don't get the address until after you book.  While I tolerate low levels of wireless radiation, the home I could not stay in had 2 giant cell towers adjacent to it.  After I had to cancel, I found a air bnb room with a host whose home was away from this type of source.  Although I neither asked nor expected any special treatment, he showed me extra consideration by turning his wireless router off when he went to bed!

Thank you, Barbara

I had one Air Bnb host also turn off his router when he went to bed.  That was very considerate, especially since the router for the entire home was in the bedroom where I was staying.  It made a huge difference in the radiation level in the room.  

Thanks for the heads up about Asheville. I forget that having the option not to have a smart meter is something I need to make sure of before I move to any state. I only know it's optional in California. RIght now I have this EMF-free and fragrance-free listing in Lausanne, Switzerland, and true, no way to let people know except in the write-up. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/587482362879795280?preview_for_ml=true&source_impression_id=p3_16608269...

Jamie

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

The place for asking for new things from Airbnb is Host Voice, @Barbara808. Are you able to access that as a guest? I'm not sure, but if you want to try, it is in the dropdown under Discuss at the top of this page. Otherwise you could take your idea to AirbnbHelp on Twitter. 

But that one is tough. Good, but tough. You say even antennaesearch.com lets you down, so it would be hard for a host to determine whether hers is an EMF-free listing. Or is it hard? How far away do the towers have to be? My listing is remote and mostly off-grid, with no data or cell for some guests, depending on their provider. Here at the house I have weak wifi (mifi) but a fairly strong cell signal. How do I go about checking my EMF status? I see iTunes offers a free EMF detector app. Is that real? Do you know? I'm serious about this. I would happily say I am EMF-free - I would love to be a santuary for people who suffer as you do - but I don't want to misrepresent myself and make someone sicker. There are sure to be other hosts who feel the same way. 

Will you let us know? If it doesn't turn out to be something Airbnb wants to add in its search filters, it could be something we note in our descriptions, as long as we know what we're talking about. 

@Barbara808, while I am not personally a believer in the dangers of EMF, I am a strong believer in the right of a guest to choose a place to stay based on whatever preference they desire.

I am guessing that there is not yet an "EMF-safe" setting on listings because there are not many guests expressing a desire to select a listing based on the EMF exposure yet. You have made a good start here by raising the issue, as the first battle for these types of things is always awareness. Please do also let AirBnB know that you would like to see this type of information included in the listing descriptions.

I imagine you also know a number of like-minded people, so if you can encourage them to also express their preference, then it raises the chance that AirBnB will do something to address your needs. Let your prospective hosts know that you would enjoy seeing this type of information in their descriptions. The more people that express this need, the most hosts will become aware that there are guests who want to know this. All things like this eventually become part of the mainstream when enough people realize there is money to be made by catering to the group with the need.

@Matthew285 EMF sensitivity and damage is very real. I have a client who is an engineer for a large cell company and whose own company tried to erect a mini tower very near his house. He had to fight it in the town board system but educated them on the  real dangers of EMF and they denied the companies tower. 

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Matthew285 Host can also choose to create a “Faraday cage” in their listings. 

Host line the walls with a 47mm liner that helps minimize the bombardment of the rays. The rolls are sold in five yard sections and lay flat like wallpaper. Amazon sells them for like $89 each.

It does block the WiFi signal but I guess that’s just a casualty of the war. 

Im surprised the OP is even able to use a computer to post this message with such a serious condition.

My Uncle Cecil taught me all about it. Folks called him a ‘tin foil fool’ on account he lined the entire inside of his home in tin foil.

One Christmas I gave Uncle Cecil a restaurant size roll of tin ffoil and  to this day he Still calls me his “Favorite”. 

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

@Rene-and-Zac0 that is actually an elegant solution. Most urban locations are generally constantly bombarded with EMF, but a Faraday Cage would be quite effective in attenuating the electromagnetic waves.

Plus, putting up wallpaper like this would not overly affect the appearance of the rooms.

One would have to warn regular guests that their cell phones would get very poor reception in the special rooms, though.

It would probably keep out the teenagers.

I found your response interesting.  I surely don't expect to find Faraday cage air bnb listings. 

I tolerate lower levels of electro magnetic radiation and personally limit use of wireless computers and cell phones. 

Prior to the installation of a smart meter on my home of 20 years by Duke Energy, I did not in my wildest imagination think I could be so harmed and that a permanent condition would be created.  In North Carolina, I had no rights as a property owner to have this meter removed; the utility company had the right to do whatever they wished.   I had no choice but to sell my home and began the search for a safe low emf place to live.  There are states which offer protection to persons with EMS by allowing us the right to opt-out of smart meters on our homes.

For more information regarding this condition: 

#1: Jeromy Johnson at TEDxBerkeley.  #2: wearetheevidence.org

The development of this condition may be complex.  Dr. Martin Pall in Portland, Oregon has done extensive research in this field and believes that there may be a 'genetic predisposition' to developing this. This may be a single allele dominant gene which when switched on creates an 'L gated calcium channel defect'.  There is no treatment, only avoidance of the stimuli.  If this holds to be true and you have a relative who is affected, you may wish to stock up on foil if that works for you.

Hi, Barbara. Thank you for this post. So interesting. I did not know it was possible to do a search. I have noted an EMF sensitivity in myself, and have only spoken to one or two others who didn't laugh or give me a side-eye, but said they, too, had a sensitivity. Just wanted to affirm your post here, and thank you for the information.

Often people who have this condition can use computers with a wired ethernet connection, with a router that has no wifi capabilities.   That can make a big difference.  Another thing they sometimes need to do is to have a separate keyboard and mouse if they are using a laptop.  Especially the mouse pads can cause problems for them. And it's true that some of the more severe cases people have to limit their time online or eliminate it, sometimes temporarily, but usually the time needed away from tech is on a case by case basis.

Mary-and-Ben0
Level 7
Boulder, CO

I just gave this feedback to Airbnb, https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

"Airbnb is not matching us with the guests who are looking for what we offer. We've had to cancel 10 guests in a row because they did not read the description of the place and were not aware that we're offering premium lodging for chemically sensitive individuals, and they were not prepared to comply with our needs on their end (fragrance free etc.) On the flip, the guests who do (often direly) need us report they have not found us on airbnb, but through other, difficult-to-use-and-rely-on means, like word-of-mouth and Facebook groups. Up to 20 percent of travelers will choose a fragrance-free, eco- and chemically-conscious lodging as their first choice. This is a huge market segment. I am aware that many people have asked you to bring back your search terms feature as this was very helpful to people looking for chemically-sensitive and eco-conscious lodging. another option would be to add a check box for hosts , 'Chemically sensitive, eco-conscious' or the like which would allow the guest to only view properties that are suitable for them. "

Also, just FYI, we are preparing our home to be an EMF Sanctuary which will offer a low/safe EMF environment for the increasing numbers of us who are terribly EMF sensitive. Please let me know if you want to find out more information about our efforts in this regard. Love to all fellow lovers of Earth --

Hello Mary and Ben,

I am preparing a new studio rental in Sedona for EMFs and chemical sensitive people. How has it been going for you on Airbnb? I do not find the right section where to advertise.

Thank you