emf safe air bnb homes

Answered!
Barbara808
Level 3
Asheville, NC

emf safe air bnb homes

Hello, I am sensitive to intense emf radiation sources (cell towers and 'smart' meters).  I attempt to narrow down areas that I will not stay in by consulting antennae search.com and check out how many cell tower/transmitting antennae are in an area I am planning to visit.  However, this has not been safe for me in several airbnb stays.  I would like to see a speciality 'handicap' section of air bnb listings or emf websites with their own listings. I am not as sensitive as many and have been able to handle cell phones and most wireless router and entertainment systems, but trying to sleep in the path of multiple high intensity antennae is not only painful, but harmful to my health (probably to your health too, but you just haven't been overexposed).

javalass

1 Best Answer

@Barbara808, while I am not personally a believer in the dangers of EMF, I am a strong believer in the right of a guest to choose a place to stay based on whatever preference they desire.

I am guessing that there is not yet an "EMF-safe" setting on listings because there are not many guests expressing a desire to select a listing based on the EMF exposure yet. You have made a good start here by raising the issue, as the first battle for these types of things is always awareness. Please do also let AirBnB know that you would like to see this type of information included in the listing descriptions.

I imagine you also know a number of like-minded people, so if you can encourage them to also express their preference, then it raises the chance that AirBnB will do something to address your needs. Let your prospective hosts know that you would enjoy seeing this type of information in their descriptions. The more people that express this need, the most hosts will become aware that there are guests who want to know this. All things like this eventually become part of the mainstream when enough people realize there is money to be made by catering to the group with the need.

View Best Answer in original post

37 Replies 37
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@France-Marie0  Well, I don't believe Airbnb has recognized the need for such a filter yet, so you should probably add your voice to the guests and hosts who have been requesting it, by sending them feedback on the Airbnb site. In the meantime, about all you can do is list under Eco-friendly, as it is also that, which will attract aware guests and then further make it front and center in your listing that you are EMF-free.

I'm with you on the dryer sheets- I can't understand how anyone considers them to make laundry smell "fresh" or "clean". I'm not allergic to them, they just smell horrid to me, and if I found that bedding I was given smelled of them, I'd have to be one of those "annoying" guests who asked for sheets without them- I couldn't care less if the sheets are wrinkled, just not smelling like chemicals. In fact, if I wanted to book a place, I'd likely message the host first to ask if they could accommodate that preference.

Maybe you could also market your place by taking out classified advertising space in publications which are geared to people interested in natural remedies and health. Don't know of any to specifically mention, but you probably do. In other words, find some additional places to advertise, not solely on Airbnb. You could even start a website or blog (in your spare time, haha) where other hosts who are EMF-free could list their places and simply direct interested guests to the URL of their listing on Airbnb, or other booking sites.

Thank you Sarah for your suggestions, and I completely understand your comments. Interestingly, I have  requested scent-free laundry, which the host accommodated,  but  found that the bed had been occupied by someone wearing one of those cheap strong synthetic fragrances that make you fall over, and despite changing the linens, the mattress and the pillows were still awfully fragrant.

I am going to request from the guests to avoid strong fragrances so it will be safe for those with sensitivities/allergies. I think it is important to be really clear about what kind of clients we want to attract. I am thinking niche marketing. It is a luxury "clean" rental, and I am targeting quality, not quantity.

I was  definitely going to have my own website for the rental and connect with "health oriented' other sites. The URL link is a great suggestion.

Do you have anything like this set up yet? I am right now in an AirBNB and the host has a large router + modem right next to my pillow where my head goes. 

I am very sensitive so this is hell, lol. 

Looking for somewhere I can go without suffering!! 

**[E-mail address & phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

@Logan76 Have you asked the host if they can be moved? Can the bed be moved? Those seem like much simpler solutions than having to look for another place.

Hello! Have you find any place that's suitable? I'm looking to rent a free EMF AirBNB and would love to know your experience. 

Betsy206
Level 1
Chicago, IL

I am interested in places that have low EMF environments and may also be basically artificial fragrance free. 

Please add this as a search option and also as a category that owners can list their properties.  This would be a great niche for owners to develop their properties to fill.

Thank you

+1. There is a great need to have a category of "environmentally safer" homes on AirBnB that would include homes that are low-tox, low-EMF, or both. 

As someone else has already pointed out, "eco-friendly" does not mean the same thing at all. In fact, many "eco-friendly" properties with solar cells are very bad in terms of EMF, because they have high amounts of dirty electricity on the wires, from solar inverters. Often, "green properties" are exceptionally unsuitable for MCS people. They are packed with all the conventional toxic stuff- paint, carpet, furniture, cleaning products, etc. and on top of that have sealed envelopes so no outside air can come in, and you may not even be able to open windows.

Seriously AirBnB, if you can accommodate people who want a grand piano in their vacation rental, or want to stay on a houseboat, you can accommodate the many millions of travelers or potential travelers who just want air they can breathe, and/or not being inundated in EMFs.

Michael6935
Level 2
Howell Township, NJ

Hi there,

I am the administrator of "EMF-Free Housing Network" on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1125115091718081

We need your help finding "EMF-Free" housing options for people, where there is no Wifi, but there is ethernet connection, or hosts willing to turn off their router, to allow ethernet adapters

Something like this does the trick: https://www.amazon.com/Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter-Extender-TP-Link/dp/B084CZMYNM

Or a long ethernet cord

The group is "EMF-sensitive" and willing to pay for that option, to not have WiFi microwave radiation broadcasting

Is this possible as a filter, or a survey put out to hosts? I have dozens of people looking to be relocated

Thank you