fake identity

Answered!
Kris30
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

fake identity

i got a booking from some gentleman late evening who wanted the place right away for only himself & told me that his flight is delayed & his rep will pick up the keys .Subsequently i found that the person who booked the apartment never existed & someone used fake identity to make the booking as we found the sim card for the number he gave .They were doing drugs ,cigarettes,liquor & bringing girls as they left so many garments including filthy undergarments all over the place .On reporting to Airbnb they stopped my payment instead of taking any action and my place was left in bad condition.Next time i will be very careful before accepting any guest .

Airbnb should not encourage such activities as in our last strata meeting also many such newspaper cuttings were shown.

1 Best Answer

but its weird for airbnb to stop payment of host if he/she complains

View Best Answer in original post

20 Replies 20
Sue179
Level 2
Amberley, New Zealand

i am not sure about the couple arriving at my place today. if they are coming under fake IDs  i had an experience in the past where a local business man booked someone else under his name. airbnb NZ sorted that one out for me really well and considerately, and cancelled his booking. (thank you)  now i feel something similar may happen. the airbnb profile listed only one random name XXXX, but a couple was booking. there was supposed to be facebook verification, but with no first or last name i could not find anything. the couple have given me their names and ages, but say they are from Balclutha,  (NZ) but their profile only lists  a medical hospital in Brittish Columbia Canada.

How do i check they are genuine?

they appear to be first timers too.

i dont know if they are non-engkish speakers, and i'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, as their first few texts were quite rude, but later texts were ok.

thanks

R0
Level 3
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

I think all hosts should unite in protecting themselves.

Anyone with fake ID should not be allowed into your home and you should accept the payment and not refund as well cause that is made to airbnb via credit card in advance.

When a person books on fake ID he risks not being entertained.  It is the fault of the guest that he used a fake ID.

As far you are concerned you will only allow a person with the exact same name with photo ID to prove he is the very same person.

Let all hosts unite on this point.

I was able to prove that the person who checked in to my listing (Yeshui Zhang) was not the same person who booked the reservation, and that the person who showed up was a fake.  When I discovered this, I reported this to Airbnb customer service, they gave her a  refund and posted a negative review she wrote against me in the Review.  Airbnb Customer Service violated my cancelation policy, and penalized me by removing their confirmed reservatiojn from my records, and removed the payment from my account without my permission as if this fraudelent  person never checked in here, slandered me and my household and took my keys and personal property.

Stuart54
Level 1
Western Australia, Australia

what is camperdown on airbnb

Chris138
Level 2
Omaha, NE

I accepted a reservation from a guy, who, according t Aibnb booking site, had 1 review and had been verified.

Instead, a woman who was not a US citizen, Udocumented and Unverified through Airbnb checked in for his reservation. This con artist disturb ed other guests, then wrote a scathing reviewthe room she stayed in that was fraught with material mis statements,  very damaging to my Airbnb Reputation. She refused to return the keys to the room and the property. She demanded a refund on false pretenses, and Airbnb withdrew the deposit for the confirmed reservation out of my account. Airbnb deleted the account of that reservation from my profile, like she was never there, but let then invited her to post additional false information in her review. how can I make it known to the Airbnb Host community that this person is not for real, and protect other hosts from her dedeption? rbnb didnot back me up,  they confirmed she booked under false pretences that violatedtheir booking policies.

Michael1863
Level 2
Marina del Rey, CA

We received guest request from a person new to the Airbnb platform. Her profile posted her city of residence & a verified government issued idenfication. To get to know the guest better, we asked a few more question & her responses were well within our expectations. Before we moved forward with the transacation, we asked for the full names of everyone on the guest list. Upon approval of the request, the last name on her profile did not match the guest list. Since identity theft is rampant, we asked for a clarification regarding the last name she provided versus the last name on her Airbnb profile. She stated that she is using a pseudonym on her facebook account. Not knowing the most basic information about your guest, specifically, their real name, can be a potential security issue for hosts. We, therefore, asked Airbnb for some guidance. Airbnb support's response:  "Guest do not have to put their name. Our verification makes someone use an offical Government ID and a selfie to confirm everything, and then they set up their account." Ideally, we would have liked Airbnb to ask the guest to correct the name on her profile to reflect her verified government identification. Airbnb's subsequent response was as follows: "If you do not feel comfortable with your incoming guests, then you should cancel the reservation, there is nothing on my end that I can do as far as ID and names that are used." If this is Airbnb's policy, any person can pay for a reservation with their real name & check in a 3rd party under a pseudonym.