flat not ready & host ask to be warned long in advance about check-in time

Answered!
Mathieu117
Level 2
Paris, France

flat not ready & host ask to be warned long in advance about check-in time

Hello.

I was in the quick need of a flat today, so I booked one to enter the same day. The flat had an entrance time of 14h00, and I booked it around midday. Then I got a message from host, she told she could not get it ready because I did not tell her in advance enouhh, the flat would only ready around 19h30.

The ad has a this rule:

VERY IMPORTANT!
Please specify the time of your arrival.
If the arrival time is not indicated within 4 hours prior to arrival, the reservation is considered canceled by the guest.

That's a very strange custom check-in rule I've never seen in an airbnb before. Is it "legal" regarding Airbnb rules ?

1 Best Answer
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Mathieu117 That is personalized check in rule and she has every right to do so but she shouldn't have enabled same day bookings if she can't handle the cleaning and you should read the house rules before booking just to avoid misunderstandings like this.

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Mathieu117 That is personalized check in rule and she has every right to do so but she shouldn't have enabled same day bookings if she can't handle the cleaning and you should read the house rules before booking just to avoid misunderstandings like this.

Mathieu117
Level 2
Paris, France

Hm, she needs less than a day to get the flat ready, so I guess she's however kindof legit to enable same-day booking. I never such a case, so I was surprised. Thank you very much.

Mathieu117
Level 2
Paris, France

but, what about the other rule : can she cancel a guest's stay 4 hours before guest arrival day. I don't think that's possible, is it ?

@Mathieu117

The beauty of ABB is if you don't like the rules a host has posted, you can choose to stay elsewhere. The rules are about making sure the host and guest are a good match and to manage expectations since each host situation is uniquely different. 

Not sure if the host would be able to actually "enforce" certain rules, but she can certainly try as long as it is clearly stated. 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Mathieu117 she can cancel a stay even if you are in the house if you don't follow the rules. That is why it is so imortant to read everything before booking.

Mathieu117
Level 2
Paris, France

oh my,  I did not know that. Thank you

Barbara1051
Level 2
Penzance, United Kingdom

Hi 

I also ask guests to notify me at least 1 hour before arrival, so I can get home in time if I am out, or inform them if I won't be there & double check that they know how to get in ok.(i.e having read & followed the very detailed instructions that I have sent).

Guests rarely do this,(either one or the other, or both) either arriving when I am not ready for them in myself..i.e in the shower or something.

Or arriving and not having read the instructions I sent them properly,or contacted me, are either lost, or can't get in (my place is rural, with a bad mobile signal, and after dark can be very hard to locate)

This is frustrating for both of us.

So, GUESTS, please acknowledge that HOSTS DO NEED TO KNOW IN ADVANCE YOUR ARRIVAL TIME.

Thankyou 🙂