guest brings visitor

Yvonne218
Level 2
Portland, OR

guest brings visitor

Hello all! I've been hosting for about 9 months and it seems the last several guests have brought one problem after another. My first 50+guests were amazing with no issues. I hate to stereotype, but it seems all the problems are with the younger crowd. One particular recent incident has really been bothering me. A young lady and her brother booked my room for 4 nights. On the second night they left out to dinner or whatever, but only the brother and a different young lady returned. I was just getting to bed at this time which was around midnight (the guest room is an extra bedroom in my home), when my boyfriend came into our room and mentioned that he thought the girl that came in with the brother was not our guest. I waited about 20 mins to sew if I would get a message or a knock or something from the approved guest to communicate about what they had going on. Nothing. So I messaged the guest and asked her if it was in fact not her that came back, and if it was another female with her brother. She replied as if it was no big deal and said they would be leaving my house in a while to come pick her up and drop off the friend of theirs that was with the brother. I was feeling very uneasy and upset as it was almost 1am and I felt very disrespected. I felt like they thought I was the local motel. I handled the situation very calmly (although I was furious). I explained in my message that I meant no offense to her but this is my home and the girl her brother brought in late at night was not a guest and I don't know her! Anyway, the rest of their stay they were gone most of the time, but then she sent me a message in the review saying SHE felt I was hostile and she was uncomfortable! 

I was furious all over again. How does she think I felt when she allowed her brother to bring in someone I didn't know? And it was middle of the night. Plus the brother and unapproved girl came back to smoke weed and what? Have sex real quick? Im not a motel 6. Am I wrong for feeling this way?

6 Replies 6
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Yvonne218. You're right with your feelings. It is your guests who broke the house rules and the rules of Airbnb, not you being hostile for no particular reason. I hope you reviewed your guests stating the obvious facts (unauthorized visitors etc.). You can reply to the review they left, explaining the reason for your "hostility" so that people reading the review get a full picture.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Yvonne218

If you don't already, please add as a house rule that you don't allow "unregistered/unapproved" guests (aka "guest" of guests) in the listing and in your home at any time. I also host a private guest room in my home and so I make it a point to emphasis this strongly to all potential guests. 

Please make sure you leave a factual and honest review of those guests (thumbs down/not recommend) and if necessary, a polite & professional response to the guests' review of your home if they happen to mention any "hostility. - all you need to say was something like "Guests called me "hostile" when I messaged them to say it was unacceptable for them to bring an unregistered guest into our shared home private room listing." 

Right this minute I have a guest that brought a second man in with him at 3 am. They said the reservation was for two. They are very nice, likely gay. Non threatening but, still. Now I am awake and not feeling very comfortable. I went back to my room and I was correct, the reservation was for 1. I went back and showed them, asking for clarification. They says they thought they’d made it for two. 

I just had same problem. Guest told me to expect two cars in driveway instead of one. I told him he had only booked for himself. His response, I payed so this is my place for now and if I had a hotel room it wouldn’t be a problem. I had to remind him this was our Casita and not s hotel room. I contacted Airbnb who only got him to add guest to booking. No name , just guest. I think they are hooking up for the night and have no idea who the other guy is. I couldn’t care less if they are gay or straight, it’s the fact that you have no idea who’s staying in your Airbnb rental. Airbnb has useless policy. 

Have this issue now. What do the levels mean? You are a 10 and it says I’m a 1.....

Shannon,  I had that same question a few months ago. The level just refers to how many times you interact, post etc. here in the community boards.