guest broke house rules - want deposit money back

Kayla3
Level 2
Breckenridge, CO

guest broke house rules - want deposit money back

My guest completely broke 2 of my house rules. They smoked cigarettes in my condo and they partied.

I want my security deposit from them (only $100).

I couldn't rent out my place the next night because my condo smelled like smoke too badly. They also left beer cans and garbage all over the house. She never replied to any of my messages, and this made me nervouse during her stay. I guess my gut had the right feeling. She also left my sliding door wide open and left my front door open and didn't lock the place. I gave very clear instructions for where to leave the key (nobody has ever been confused) and she even took the key with her! I did get the key back the next day after 2 phone calls, a voicemail, and a message.

I mainly want my $100 because I couldn't rent out my condo the next night because of the smoke damage. And, the rules were broken! And the guest was completely disrespectful.

I wrote a review on her, she has yet to review me. I am nervous that if I send her a request for the money, she will give me a terrible review - which is not deserved on my end because I do everything and more for my guests when they come to town. I also noticed airbnb only allows you to ask for these refunds within 14 days of the stay, I believe.

I don't believe she will write me a review (she seems pretty lazy), but maybe I am wrong. Nonetheless, should I wait until day 13 or so to claim this damage? That way it leaves her with little time to write me a (probably vindictive) review. Or what do you guys suggest? Shouldn't we be getting our security funds back for our guests breaking our house rules? I really don't want to have to "let" guests smoke in my house if there are no real repercussions...

Please help...

-Kayla

12 Replies 12

Claim the damage, one "revenge" review will not hurt you, believe me.
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

@Kayla3 I agree with @Helen-And-Mario0. Definitely put in a claim for the full $100. And please flag this guest as an irresponsible rule breaker and give her an honest review. Other hosts will thank you for it! You've done nothing wrong - and if you do get a bad review from her, you have a chance to write your comment below it, outlining her behaviour & the rules she broke. Best of luck! - karen

@Karen-and-Brian0, responses to reviews are no longer possible, gradually being rolled out maybe? Check your next review and see if you can! I have not had that option for several weeks. The layout has changed too.

@Sandra126 Right! You did tell me that & I haven't had a chance to write a review since then. Guests just left today, guess we'll see. That's not a positive change at all. 😞

I am still able to write a response to a review as of this morning. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Well if memory serves me it is 14 days or to the next booking whichever is first.

And to claim against the security deposit you need to substantiate, document damages, so not as easy as you may think.

David
Sean---Enrique0
Level 3
Niagara Falls, NY

This is very tough and I've been going through this similar thing. Guest stayed two nights, ended complaining about various things wrong with the property (all lies) - to get a refund - after staying more than half the reservation. I denied the refund - guest disputed it - Airbnb also denied her refund but said she still has the right to leave a review. This was 13 days ago. Tomorrow is her last day to leave a review. It was her first Airbnb so hopefully she doesn't leave a bad review (or know how to ?) as would wreck my chances of requalifying for superhost October 1.

The review game sucks. But I don't know an alternative. Maybe if there is some kind of dispute, Airbnb should start disallowing parties to leave a review. Some say a bad review doesn't matter. But I sure as heck don't want one ...

You are right. How can Airbnb protect host who got unfair, baised & hatred review from guest who wrote nasty review intentionally?

Call them and see if you can get it removed.

David

Thank you for your quick reply. I will call airbnb.

Christian127
Level 1
New Territories, Hong Kong

There are no dates on these postings. Try the resolution centre and list clearly what you had to do to make the property rentable again. I agree a strong smoke residue smell is not acceptable. You literally have to wipe the walls down and wash the curtains. Often the guest will agree or not object to your claim. Detail is important to help Airbnb decide. For example you spent x hours extra cleaning. Send Airbnb pics before you start cleaning obviously. Your claiming on a quantum merit basis.

If the guest writes a revenge review you can get parts or all deleted if they break the review guidlines. In your case it would probably be a liable statement. Again pictures of the perfect condition of your property would help persuade Airbnb to act and delete parts of the review that are clearly not true.
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's a red flag if you can't reach a guest during their stay. Next time speak to BnB and ask them to contact the guests for you.

Personally I would have contacted BnB within 48 hours and claimed from them for the additional cleaning costs. I do hope you have already contacted them about this situation - your guests behaviour is unacceptable to hopefully they will take her off the system.

Give BnB a call, explain your concerns and ask them to get the ball rolling to get the costs of your clean back from the deposit. A lot of guests deny their behaviour but I am sure you have photo evidence that says otherwise.

It shows you on the BnB website how to claim against your deposit (which is far too low in my opinion).