guest cancellation after check in

Sandrine620
Level 1
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea

guest cancellation after check in

Hello Everybody,

Just a little background :

I received a request booking from guest for our house in Mauritius on Friday. She actually asked me to contact her outside of Airbnb at first which I never do, so refused. Asked for a discount. As they are staying 22nights and we have been struggling massively due to covid and closed international borders, I sent her an offer of EUR 56/night instead of the usual EUR 120/night. Had lengthy exchanges with her regarding what we offer at the house and what is around for recommendations. Which I am absolutely happy doing to ensure guests are satisfied fully before booking.

She booked on the Sunday to check in on the Monday.

Early morning on that Monday I had a another 15 minutes chat over the phone with her regarding everything about the house.

Thankfully the house was already cleaned and disinfected before hand, I just had to rush a team over to make beds, mow the lawns and make sure all appliances are in working order, put out the coffee, milk, soap and other little goodies we put out for guests.

After self checking in that Monday evening, she gave me a call at 3am, I assumed it must have been an emergency, such as no power or the same.

She basically told me that the house was lovely but not "the right fit for her family, especially after working so hard to get to Mauritius" and did not wanted to offend me, whatever that all means?

She didn't complain that it was dirty (I know it was extremely clean) or noisy (residential area, have lived there myself) or that the house was not what was advertised: I have a lengthy description, over 40 photos and even a floor plan! She did say it she thought it would be bigger.

During our conversation, I told her that right now there was nothing I could do to call back in the morning say around 6/7 and that I would send the house manager to visit.

About half and hour later I received a massage from Airbnb saying the guests had cancelled and a full refund was given to them (!!)

I really do not understand why? I have a Strict cancellation policy, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with house.

I have messaged Airbnb and they said they were investigating the matter.

I have ask the guests to leave the space immediately but they said Airbnb told them they had until checkout time the next morning to do so (?!)

Anyway so now those people are just getting a free night on me? As you can all imagine it is all quite stressful and upsetting and I would really appreciate some of you guys input on my situation? what should I do? Is this normal?

As additional info, I only have 5 stars reviews never had a guest complain of anything!

Looking forward to your feedbacks!

Thanks

Sandrine

8 Replies 8
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Sandrine620 

According to what you report, your cancellation policy is at odds with the guest getting a full refund.

Perhaps the timing of a call at 3 am sounds suspect to me.

A guest can maybe go down the travel issue route to get a full refund, so you should get familiar with the article below;

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2868/airbnb-guest-refund-policy

As far as airbnb saying to stay till check-out time - No way - see below, they must depart immediately.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/43/what-happens-if-my-guest-cancels

If your guest cancels after they’ve already checked in:

• They’re required to leave your space as soon as they cancel
John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Sounds like your guest found another place that likely also reduced their rates. I had one guest cancel the day before checkin. She had been booked for months then about 3 days before checkin started asking questions about the location, if their was an extra bedroom out of the way for her to put her 1 year old. Then suddenly canceled day before. Postive she saw something bright and shiny. Like you my listing is very accurate, so chances are they ended up in a less than accurate listing.  I'm not sure how they managed to get a full refund after they checked in. I also agree that guest who want something not in the listing are more inclined to mark you down for something out of your control. 

Of course this is during the second wave when guest can go bargain hunting because other host dropping rates. Airbnb shouldn't accommodate this kind of behavior but it is the climate for the near future. This gust is likely high fiving each other getting a free night and off to another place, perhaps not even on Airbnb, 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Sandrine620,

I am sorry that this happened to you.  Many hosts, including me, will advise never to give a guest a discount that isn't already advertised.  From shared experiences these guests will almost certainly lead to problems during their stays.

@Kelly149 @Laura2582 @Emilia42 @Ute42 @Ann72 @Ann783 @Helen3 @John-And-Melanie0 @Robyn4 @Sarah977 

Oof, so sorry @Sandrine620. You obviously put a lot of care and effort into hosting, and I'm sorry you had to experience a situation like this. I fully concur with @Debra300. A guest who starts off with a discount ask is bad news, and will invariably end up costing you somehow. Decline, decline, decline.

Even before the discount ask, this guest was asking to transact off platform. That is a massive red flag. Next time that happens, immediately report the guest and cease communicating with them. 

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

I agree with @John5097 - they probably found a cheaper place. Also, like  @Debra300, I am loathe to offer discounts - unless it is a returning guest who has earned my trust. Sounds like you are a great host and I'm sorry this happened to you. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

I don't put in big discounts and I wouldn't ever drop by nearly 50% for even a long stay, bc odds are that even a few full-price days will equal up to that half-off long stay so why would I take if off the market to have somebody in it for a long time for the same amount of money as a few short stays?

And I agree with @Colleen253 somebody who finds me on platform and right off the bat wants to cheat the platform is a no-go

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Sandrine620  I agree with @Debra300 about discount seekers!  When someone asks for a discount, nine times out of ten I get a booking, no discounts, no questions asked, within hours of turning down the discount.  It happened again today.  So stay strong, say no, and something better will come along.