guest cancelled after arrival

Melissa544
Level 2
Winter Garden, FL

guest cancelled after arrival

We are new to hosting and had a guest cancel their reservation today. They reserved 2 months and cancelled today so completed 18 days of their stay.

They stated that it smelled of pesticide and the internet didn't work properly.  (The previous long term tenant used moth balls, and we thought we had taken care of it, but apparently we were just used to it.)

I had e-mailed him a day after he arrived and told him to please let us know if he needed anything. 

He never told us there were any problems with anything. (I don't think the problem is that the internet was slow, I think he actually had it unplugged which I could have helped him with). 

Air bnb refunded him a percentage and then also paid us out some of the remaining stay. 

My question is we were very clear that we were available to help. So if he comes back and leaves us a bad review do we have anything to rebuttle? We would have taken care of the problems he had. 

Would you refund him the rest of the stay? It's now been blocked off since May. 

I really don't want a bad review. I feel like we worked hard to make his stay nice. 😞 

13 Replies 13
Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

Just my opinion, doesnt mean Im right. But if he gives a bad review stating the things you mentioned, in order to make yourself look like an upstanding host you may just want to apologize (in public) and state that you did refund the guest for his troubles. And that the issues have since been resolved.

If I saw this I would still book your place because I would respect your honesty and ownership of it. Lets face it sometimes issues arise but since you said you are new to hosting a bad review is not optimal. Therefore (I think) if you handle it with dignity instead of fighting back you will come out okay.

See what others here have to say.

I don't mind defending myself in a situation, but being new we only have 1 review so far. so a bad review would really hurt. And we went to the house to check last night at 10pm (he still hadn't left and picked up his stuff, even though he cancelled it the night before and was supposed to be out by 11am), and the internet was unplugged - which is obviously why it wasn't working properly. So essentially he left because it smelled like mothballs - which I can understand - but he still never let us know anything. We would have been more than happy to work to fix the issue. 

So say that..I wish Mr. X would have given us the opportunity to make things right. I regret that this happened but the previous tenant left mothballs etc etc

Dont stress about it, maybe he wont even leave a review.

Is the system asking you to leave a review for HIM?

They did ask us to leave a review, but we didn't. So maybe we just don't have to worry about it. thank you for your help!

Did they threaten you with a bad review?

Or are you just concerned that they might give you a bad review?

Those are two different situations.

Also, you don't say if the guest *asked* for more refund than they received, or if you are just inquiring as to whether you *should* give him more refund, even without them asking.

It is somewhat difficult to provide a solid answer without knowing a bit more about the situation.

He hasn't threatened with one, but I was just concerned he would give us one.  And no, he hasn't asked for a refund yet, but it's the full month of July that he isn't staying there. AirBnb gave him back $800 and paid us out $1,000.  I was wondering if I am supposed to refund him partial or the rest. He has had it blocked off now since May, so I would assume not the full refund, but I also don't want a bad review. 😉 

Melissa544
Level 2
Winter Garden, FL

We checked the internet last night and it was unplugged. So that would have solved his bad internet issue if he would have told us about it... 

Martita3
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Hi, I am in need of "help" I am currently dealing with a very difficult guest; they booked 14 nights but after two nights want to leave. The complain is about the mattresses that I should change (today) them in all the three beds because are to hard to sleep on. The beds have new firm mattresses with "Beauty rest" pads each. They tell me If I don't do something about it; they will leave and want the money that they paid refunded.  So far I have greeat reviews and is the first time someone said the mattresses are hard. Do I give them all the money back? Half? please advise. Thank you. 

I would not give them any money back.  They are not, if I understand you, saying that the mattresses are old, stained, etc. only that they don't like the firmness.  "Too firm" is not a reason for a refund, and I would stick to your guns if airbnb tries to talk you into a refund.  And don't go out and buy these jerks any new matresses or matress toppers.

@Martita3

my opinion I would let them leave. Doesn’t sound like it’s going to be a happy 14days if they stick around. You don’t need them. Do not refund them for the nights they stayed. Refund for the unused days. Then call Airbnb and ask them to unblock your calendar. Good luck. Let us know how it works out. 

Ps... if you involve Airbnb they may not even be able to leave a review if they leave early. Not sure 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

ETA, they will give you a bad review, in your response make sure you think it through carefully, make it short and professional.  My guess is they will give you a bad review whether you refund them or not, so might as well not be out $$ as well as a review.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Martita3  Do not cancel. Do not buy new mattresses. This is not extenuating circumstances, they want to cancel let them. No refund. Document this in your AirBnB messaging system that they are "blackmailing you with the threat of cancellation" if you do not give them new mattresses today. Add also that none of your previous guests have complained about your mattresses.