guest let a friend live in flat while away

Depy0
Level 1
Athens, Greece

guest let a friend live in flat while away

the guest I m hosting now, left for a trip and will come back next week. Meantime there is a friend of his staying in my appartment without my permission. Is that acceptable? I dont know the person staying there. How can I deal with this???

8 Replies 8
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Depy0 Only you can answer if it’s acceptable. And by the sound of your post, it’s not. So now you have to put on your host pants and confront the guest. Are additional guests a violation of your written house rules? If so, let them know so. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi,

As you do not have any legal agreement with this person, which give him rights to stay in your appartment, you can ask him to leave.

I wondered if this reservation is a long term agreement ?

If so, the guest (the booker) acts like a tennant subletting his place while away, without your permission. It depends on local law and on any special rental agreements mentioned in your listing about this. Read more:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1354/what-are-some-differences-between-long-term-hosting-and-sho...

If not, this person has no right to be there, as he did not book a reservation nor arrived as a member of the party the reservation was booked for. You should inform also your guest (the booker) asap about this situation.

Best regards,

Emiel

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

That 'friend' of your guest's, @Depy0, is a third party in this contract... Also in Airbnb's understanding I hope.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Of course it's not acceptable. It's outrageous.

Contact Airbnb and ask them to cancel the booking, as your guest has let someone who is not part of their booking stay in your apartment while they are away.

Tell the person who is in your apartment without your permission that they need to leave. This is a security risk for you and your property. If they want somewhere to stay, they can register on Airbnb themselves and find their own place.

Tell you guest that you will need to ask Airbnb to cancel their booking at they let someone stay in your apartment who is not part of their booking. Keep all messaging on Airbnb.

How did you find out by the way?

By the way you need to tighten up your house rules - and include one to say that only guests who have booked and paid can visit/stay in the apartment.

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

I agree with you 100% people are just you know what I mean

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Helen I agree with you 100% Helen is right call Airbnb ASP safty first come on now 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Depy0 as others already said - it is a third party booking and it is against Airbnb rules.

You should tighten your house rules, here is what we have in ours:

★ GUESTS & VISITORS
- According to Croatian regulations, each guest must be registered and therefore required to show his photo ID on the arrival. 
- The person who books the apartment has to be one of the guests and be present during the check in. 
- If part of a group will arrive later then they have to send us a photo of their ID or passport BEFORE the first group check in !
- Only registered guests are allowed to enter and use the apartment day-night.

thanks very much for your answers and your help. It is much appreciated.

I have to apilogise as there was a misunderstanding with my guest since he does not speak well english. There was no other friend of his staying in the appartment. So the matter is cleared now. Thank you again anyway for your support!