guest name/sex/nationality(?) doesn't match profile

Robert241
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

guest name/sex/nationality(?) doesn't match profile

I just had an instant book. In the message with the booking the guest uses a name that doesn't match the profile first or last and may not be the nationality or sex as the profile owner. How concerned should I be? Should I interupt the booking?

8 Replies 8
Danica0
Level 1
Santa Fe, NM

Robert, 

Sounds sketchy.  I'd write to the guest and inquiry as to the disparity.  If the response sounds strange or is unclear then I'd cancel the booking.

Thanks-Danica

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Just get all the detail, and ask for the guest to provide ID on arrival, do everything you can think of to avoid cancelling. With luck, if it is a dodgy guest, they will cancel themselves rather than prove ID and you will be out of trouble.

I just had someone book with a profile name which was a colour. I asked if it was her first or second name (hello, Blue?) and she said neither, it was her ''profile name''. I now have her real name. New guests often don't get what they have to do when joining.

If you cannot be satisfied things are A-OK, then I see no other alternative than not letting the guest come but if you can, remove IB or this will potentially happen again and again.

C-C0
Level 10
Memphis, TN

Robert, whatever you do, don't cancel yourself--never do that. Get Airbnb involved if necessary by searching this forum for the phone number where you are. What you're describing is a problem, though. 

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Robert241 I wonder if it's someone who is using their profile to book for someone else? This is against Airbnb policy, and I think the only way that it might be ok is if it's a business profile booking for an employee. Best to get all the information you can from the guest & if it seems dodgy, contact Airbnb. Don't cancel it yourself or you will be penalized. Hope that helps - Karen

Thanks for the advice. That is the route I'll take.

HI Robert

BEWARE !!! If you have an uneasy feeling with info that didn't match up- something is wrong!!  3 weeks ago I had a similar guest who robbed me:-( I've contacted Airbnb and thus far - they've not responded or reimbursed me for all the stolen and broken items from this guest. 

Bottom line - you need to protect your home and your contents. If you have info that is not matching up - decline their rental

Karen is right.  I have dealt with this before.  I get someone trying to book for another person.  That is a 3rd party booking and it is against TOS Agreement with Airbnb.  If you accept this booking then your million dollar policy with Airbnb is null and void and so is your deposit amount.  If the guests destroys anything then you are on your own.  

Remember that the person named in the reservation must be present to check in.  

Ken28
Level 10
Newburgh, IN

I have a guest requesting using her father's ID. She's probably a minor, and can't sign up herself.

It clearly states on her profile that she has verified (1) email (2) phone, and (3) gov't id.

But in the email I got from the request, I see that the Personal Info name doesn't match hers. It is her father's. (I looked them up on facebook to verify this)

In my opinion, this makes me question the validity of ALL of my future guests. If Airbnb isn't actually verifying this information, then they've lost all their credibility and I will have to check this myself from now on.