guest needs to see a doctor

Caron3
Level 3
Victoria, Canada

guest needs to see a doctor

She arrived two days ago and today has a fever and asks to see a doctor. Language is an issue, she has $150.00 cash, her credit card has been blocked and she has no travel insurance. Walk in clinics are closed and hospital visit will cost her thousands. Any advice?

10 Replies 10
Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Caron3  How’s this going for you so far?

is there a genuine reason why her card is blocked ? and if she has no insurance maybe her countries embassy could help her out with getting her monies from her bank?

Thank you for writing, she says she is feeling better this morning. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Caron3  It's lovely that you want to be supportive, but really this is the guests issue not yours.

Does Canada not have emergency facilities for those on low income? If not, it sounds like your guest will need to contact her family/friends for emergency funds if her credit card is blocked.

You are so right Helen3, she's been able to contact family for assistance.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Caron3 @Ria16 @Helen3 

It's quite a common issue for people who travel to have issues with credit & bank cards in general not working in another country.

HSBC is one of them and it takes around 10 days to get another card.

Has the Guest contacted the bank?

Is there a Local branch of the bank she is with in Canada?
If so what progress has been made?

I've had a couple of guests and know of other tourists who have encountered similar issues.

@Ria16 my fellow NZ local, have you found the same  with any of your Guests or have they been lucky in that respect & been in the Big Smoke before the littler smoke?

I've also had Guests who have had to go to Accident & Emergency for Medical Issues alas they all seem to have been able to have some money to get them through.

Best if the Guest can contact family, or if the fever isn't to bad to use common sense approach, lots of fluid, Vitamin C and rest, especially if they have traveled from another country where the temperature is different.

Currently hosting a Guest who has a fever/ cold & been giving him plenty of fresh fruit & trusty  freshly squeezed Lemon Juice with fresh sliced ginger in hot water.

He feels much better for a good rest & early nights and a bit of a lie in.

All the best

Thank you Helen427, yes we are using Google translate. After some soup, plenty of liquids and a good nights sleep the guest is feeling better.

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Helen427  I lost my bag off a boat in Hong Kong with all my cards. Had instant help from my bank  and had a new one within 2 days .  Never had a guest that has lost anything yet 😉 touches wood . But did have one with a bad cold who stayed in bed for 3 days. 

You would surely ensure that you had enough cash for your holiday though ?  I did just google Canada’s Medicare and they are very strict on tourists . I’m sure that important information  would come with your tickets . 

@Caron3  glad your guest is feeling better. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Caron3 

Use a search engine like Google Translate on the internet to help break down any language barriers & a dictionary.

I used to keep, & still have an exercise book that my English Language students used to use to write a little about themselves in their own language & also in English to help converse.

I see on your listing you host with your daughters so you may like to consider doing the same, they will appreciate it when they are older and wanting to travel abroad.

It's always fun to go through & learn a few phrases from another culture & future Guests can also learn from earlier writings.

If you are having longer stay Guests, a game of scrabble with a dictionary at the ready is always great to enhance a happy stay & embrace international relationships.

Julie143
Level 10
Princeton, NJ

Why does she need to see a doctor right away for a fever? Rest in bed for a couple of days and drink lots of fluids and maybe take some Tylenol or ibuprofen to make her more comfortable. It’s most likely a virus and does not need antibiotics and the doctor won’t give her any.

Wait a day or so and if no improvement, she could go to a walk in clinic.

who goes to a hospital/ER for a simple fever?

EDIT: Where is she from?  Healthcare is different in different countries. For example, I have relatives in China. They go to the hospital for every little thing. People don’t really make appointments with doctors in clinics. It’s all done through the hospital. They just literally go a stand in line in front of the hospital.  If your guest is from somewhere with a similar system, you need to explain the local system to her. Emergency rooms are for people who are seriously ill or injured.  Hospitals are not the first access point for health care.

Thank you Julie143, when a guest comes to me in tears saying she needs to go to the hospital, I am not qualified to triage her symptoms nor will I give her any over the counter medications. We made her soup, gave her plenty of liquids and let her sleep. She says she is feeling better this morning.