guest peed in my bed

Anne120
Level 2
Antwerp, Belgium

guest peed in my bed

I can not access Airbnb with this problem, so I am asking this community. Guest left this morning and it seemed the bed was nicely made.

When taking off the sheets, I discovered urine everywhere. It sank through the matrass, even the bottom side is soaked. The room stinks. I am expecting new guest tomorrow morning. What do I do. Any advise welcome...

Anne

6 Replies 6
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Anne120 OMG! I didn't see a Security Deposit on either of your listings.  Even so, you can ask the guest to pay for a new mattress, mattress cover and any bedding that has been destroyed.  Go to the Resolution Center and file a claim right away since you only have 48 hours after the guest checks out.  Have pictures and an estimate or receipt for a new mattress.  Here's how to use the Resolution Center: 

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/The-Resolution-Center-A-Community-Help-Guide-Request-or-Offer/...

Sorry you had this horrible experience!  When the dust settles, set up a Security Deposit for both of your listings.  This is the type of situation where you really need one  

Thank you Claire for your kind help.

I am afraid I did an immediate restitiution, thinking that it was a message going to Airbnb, not to the guest. As the program forced me to fill out an amount, I indicated 50 euros adding in the chat box that I was only filling out that amount to get through with my message. I basically just wanted to ask Airbnb what was reasonable. I never felt it was reasonable to want to buy a new matress because someone peed in it. 

But now that the urine really sank all the way through the matress over the hours that passed, I start to feel that perhaps it would have been reasonable to ask for a new matress.

Next thing I saw was that the message went to the guest immediatly. Asking for 50 euros. And no reaction all day. So I am not hopeful.

My next problem is, however, the guests that arrive tomorrow. Where will they sleep?

I am trying to call airbnb, but the phone voice tells me that I will be charged for the call in the US. I am making this whole thing even more expensive. There is no Belgian number (Belgium is where I live). There is a number in the Netherlands, but there I do not get an answer. I am expecting a family of three tomorrow, really nice people.... 

I never put in a security deposit because I worried the money would be withdrawn from the person's account as if I did not trust them...

@Anne120 Read this link and be sure to click on the "Urgent" button.  I used it once when I had a gas leak.  

How To Get Airbnb Contact Number If It Is Not Listed Above? (Option #2)

Also, look at your guest's itinerary under Your Reservations.  Down at the bottom left there is a phone number to call.  I can't imagine they are giving you a US number.  Should be one at least in Europe. 

Is it not possible to get a new mattress in time for your next guests?  If not tell this to Airbnb so they can find them a new place t stay. 

@Anne120, be sure to add a Security Deposit to your conditions. Money does not leave the guest's account unless a host makes a claim against it. It's absolutely standard procedure, and - as you've unfortunately discovered - can be a good backup when you least expect it. Though I only rent out a private room & bathroom, I have a security deposit in place. It does not seem to have deterred guests from booking.

Regarding your next expected guests: Perhaps contact ABB and ask them to cancel the booking and rehouse the guests. This at least will give you time to air the room and organise a new mattress.

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165

You can reach them as well via the Help link at bottom top of this page.

Also, on any guest reservation itinerary is an AirBnB phone number.

Or – if you have a Twitter account - try twitter@airbnbhelp. It’s said there’s a quick response.

More essential reading for hosts.

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/Community-Help-Guides/m-p/23100#U23100

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Anne120

What a true horror! @Clare0 and @Donna15 are expert hosts advising in such matters, and I have nothing to add there.

One thing only -  please leave a review to warn other hosts! After mentioning a few short words about them being nice and friendly say something like having been forced to cancel the next guests because the undisclosed extreme damage to the mattress made replacement necessary and couldn't be done on time. That will give pretty much every host a good idea of what happened!

Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Anne120, I forgot to mention: When you get your new mattress, be sure to invest in a good-quality waterproof mattress protecter (the kind that wraps around, and also keeps out bedbugs).