guest request for refund

Answered!
Ann56
Level 2
Ithaca, NY

guest request for refund

Anyone have experience with what is "fair" when a guest requests a refund for a failure of hot water during the last 24 hours of their 7-day stay?  We sent someone to fix it immediately and the issue was resolved.  The same thing happened again 12 hours later in the middle of the night.  They are requesting 2 days refund.  We were considering slightly less than one day's rent, as their communication concerning their inconvenience was very last-minute.

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's ridiculous for a guest to expect two days completely free because water was out for a few hours. I would offer something like a 20% discount for the one day that the water was not available. @Ann56 

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11

@Ann56  Half a day without hot water is enough of an inconvenience to warrant some percentage of refund off that night's stay - but how much is fair depends on how many home functionalities it affected. If the dishwasher, laundry, and room heating were still in working order, the only issue at hand was some delayed showering. For that, I'd offer something like 20-30% off one night's rental before the guest had a chance to mention a refund. If they ask, I'm inclined to be less generous.

Two nights of totally free use of all your home's facilities is a wildly excessive request, and I hope your review takes note of the guests' audacity in asking for it. 

Thank you, Andrew.  I wish that I had nipped this in the bud the way you suggest.  I think that would have been the best solution.  However, I was out of town celebrating a family birthday and that didn't happen.  Thank you for your reply!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ann56 if you resolved the problem immediately you were informed then no refund BUT it appears the issue wasn't fixed as it reoccurred that night. Perhaps one day refund is fair but you'll get a bad review whatever you offer. By not agreeing between you and the guest you risk a random Airbnb resolution which could be more or could be less.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Ann56 

Truck stops offer hot showers for $20.

That’s a sufficient refund.

Thanks!  I might agree, but would probably try to be more generous--returning the full rent, however, is not reasonable to expect.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's ridiculous for a guest to expect two days completely free because water was out for a few hours. I would offer something like a 20% discount for the one day that the water was not available. @Ann56 

Thank you Helen,

Both you and Andrew suggested between 20-30%.  I sent them closer to 60% and hope they are satisfied (no thank you yet!)

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Ann56 

If they were so sorely inconvenienced they could have checked out and gone to a hotel.

Then they would have been entitled to a refund.

Now they’re entitled to a stick in the eye for being greedy, opportunistic pigs. Decent people don’t try to take advantage of others’ misfortunes.

Feel free to quote me in your review.

Thanks!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ann56  "I sent them closer to 60% and hope they are satisfied (no thank you yet!)". That's because people with unreasonable demands who try to take advantage are the type of people who don't appreciate other's goodwill- they feel they deserve having their demands met.

Which is why it's pointless to try too hard to make things right with them. Nothing is "right" in their book unless it's exactly what they feel they are entitled to.

Janet1151
Level 1
South Bend, IN

I paid for 

RE: Reservation at Waterfront Sunny Relaxation Paradise for Nov 11 - 15, 2021 but the host required us to use technology which was not functional for us to get in Kevo the internet didn’t work so could not activate the key discover the area is very dangerous and sent the concerns to host he is not providing a refund if we did not get back we will never use Airbnb again been using since 2014 and wonderful hosts Timothy is rude called me a liar . Because we asked for refund . We never could get in to the internet so not able to use Kevo ....very poor very sad for us unacceptable behavior calling us liars says he has video showing we didn’t come out to the house but the internet wouldn’t activate so could go to the door the door to try Kevo was a disaster for us . But rude instead of providing a refund . Never been treated this way before ...not a host you should have at Airbnb