guest review do not work

Answered!
Johan1311
Level 2
Wassenaar, Netherlands

guest review do not work

because guests can read the host his review it is not possible to write a bad review.
The might revenge with a bad review or be violent when they live nearby.

I reported this to AIRBNB but they did not change it.

1 Best Answer
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Johan1311   I think some may not understand your particular situation.  It appears your listing is marketed to locals more so than travelers.  Is that correct?  As such, you feel unsafe to provide honest reviews because your listing is vulnerable to retaliation by local people.  The purpose of the host review is to support the host community, but you must be able to do that safely.  You can still participate in the review process by giving the guest low star ratings that are not seen by the guest but are seen by hosts.  Then you write a neutral statement such as, "stayed a single night", which should trigger another host to view the star ratings and be warned of an undesireable guest.  You also can select the option that you would not host this guest again.  Hopefully other hosts of undesireable guests will contribute to the information about such guest so he/she will not be able to victimize hosts any more.

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Johan1311  First of all, reviews are blind. The guest cannot write a bad review in response to your review because the guest can't see your review, nor you see theirs, until the reviews are published. And once reviews are published, they can't be changed. So it sounds like you don't understand how reviews work.

Yes, some hosts have this fear of someone local seeking revenge for a bad review, but I've never heard of such a thing actually happening. Usually the worst that happens is that the guest responds to the host's review, denying everything the host had to say. Which isn't that big a deal- it's usually easy to understand who is telling the truth.

There are phrases that hosts sometimes use which most other hosts will understand, and the guest won't read as bad. For instance : "3 day stay". Not all hosts will understand, but most will realize you had nothing good to say about the guest but for some reason didn't want to be specific.

But as much as possible, you should try to be as honest and infomative, for the benefit of other hosts.

I can assure you that plenty of hosts, hopefully most, write honest reviews for bad guests- it isn't "impossible".

Aside from that, do you really think that Airbnb would change its policies because you asked them to?

I do understand how the reviews work.
Tell me why I only read positive reviews about the guests?
It seems hosts are afraid to write bad reviews for revenge. I am sure.

Reviews should be hidden for the guests.
It´s obvious a host will not be honest. This way the reviews are completely useless.

@Johan1311  You said that a guest might seek revenge by writing a bad review, after reading the host's review. 

That isn't possible, because the guest can't see what you wrote until after they submit their own review and the reviews are published.

It isn't at all true that there are only good reviews of guests. I have read plenty of bad reviews of guests.

I'm sorry you had a violent guest who caused damage and made you fear more violence or revenge. All I can say is to try to vet your guests better, and it is not advised to accept bookings from locals.

thanks, 99% of our guests are locals. In  Colombia many couples live with their families and need some days alone.....
the guy who damaged out apartment is from Dominican republic but his girlfriend is from Bogota. I understand that damage is a a part of the game. Not telling us about it and hidden damaged things is pretty bad to do.

I do not understand why it is useful that guests can read my review. This doesn´t make any sense to me. I never read a bad review or a warning..... always the same..... 
Reading in the Dutch newspaper today about AIRBNB and the damage done to hosts (rape, theft, shooting and so on)  is more reason to change the review system. It is completely useless this way.

Airbnb betaalt naar verluidt jaarlijks $50 miljoen uit aan gasten en verhuurders, waaronder voor het...

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

"Only read positive reviews about the guests?"  Not so; I've written a few that were beyond coruscating and I've yet to have my house torched nor have I been set upon by ne'er do wells while putting the bins out.

When a guest plays up, feel free to let it rip with impunity.  You'll be doing their next hosts a huge favour.

Johan1311
Level 2
Wassenaar, Netherlands

thanks louise, Doing the next guest a favor is my point.
I would like to warn hosts for a guy we had in the house.

I can not do this because the guy is very violent. I do not take the risk he would throw a brick through the window where my daughter is sleeping. No way.

that´s why my review on this guy should only be readable by the hosts, not by the guest.
I am sure this guy damaged other houses too but his reviews where all positive, impossible.
So, he ill continue.......

Do you have any idea what the use is that a guest can read my review? I do not see this.

AIRBNB in the dutch  news today
Airbnb betaalt naar verluidt jaarlijks $50 miljoen uit aan gasten en verhuurders, waaronder voor het...

Johan1311
Level 2
Wassenaar, Netherlands

We had a guest who damaged our apartment. this guy was very violent in his attitude.
We could not ask him to pay the damage or write a bad review because he is living in our city.
We do not want out windows damaged too. so we did not write a review and the guy can damage other properties too.

This system doesn´t work. The reviews written by the hosts should only be readable for the hosts, not for the guests.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Johan1311 how would you like it if you could not see the reviews left by previous guests of your accommodation, but prospective guests could?

Johan1311
Level 2
Wassenaar, Netherlands

hi lisa,

You missed my point. Hosts reviews on guests should only be readable by the hosts.
this way hosts do not write the truth about a (bad) guest.

@Johan1311 I did not miss your point. You missed mine, though. If  you could not see the reviews previous guests have left for your listing, but other prospective guests could see them, I assume you would not like that, right? It would be unfair to you because you would have no way to respond to inaccuracies and no way to address real areas for improvement.

The same is true for guests. If they cannot see the reviews that hosts leave them, they have no way to respond to inaccuracies and no way to address real areas for improvement.

That is why it's important for both parties to be able to see the reviews others leave them.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Johan1311 If you are unwilling to review a bad local guest then you are proliferating the problem of bad guests. I suggest that you don't take local bookings - That way you will be able to review honestly with little fear of any comeback.

the bad guest was from a other country with friends in the city.
99% of my guests are locals.

What is the use that the guest can read my review? My review is to inform or warn  a host.

Please explain me why a guest should read my review.. what´s the use?

@Johan1311  What's the use? It tells guests that they can't get away with bad behavior without it being called out publicly, and for some guests, who don't necessarily have bad intentions, it can teach them that leaving the place a mess, or inviting other people over isn't okay and they may improve their behavior the next time they book something.

And you haven't answered Lisa's question, nor did she miss your point. Would you want guests to be able to write reviews of you that you couldn't see? What is fair for one is fair for the other.

If you are accepting the kinds of guests whose friends would come smash your windows just because you wrote an honest review of their friends' bad behavior, you need to learn to vet your guests better.

Joan2410
Level 2
Mahwah, NJ

Can someone share with me a bad review for a guest?  I want to be tasteful and professional but quite angry right now 🙂  , this person came with way more people than allowed, cracked a window, left the barbeque disgusting, the list is longer but won't bore you.  This guest had no reviews but I allowed anyway.