guest wants to cancel - how do we relist?

Liz284
Level 1
Spring, TX

guest wants to cancel - how do we relist?

hi all, we just had our first listing reserved about a week ago. the guest has now messaged me letting me know that they're unable to make it. we have a strict cancellation policy as we are a family renting our condo for specific dates only (meaning it's not available whenever - which makes it harder to mesh up with potential guests needs). i do feel for the guy, but am trying to view this as a business transaction and think it's reasonable if we're able to find another guest to give him a refund. however, i'm not sure the best way to move forward. i'm thinking he needs to actually push the cancel button on his end - and will communicate this to him. in the meantime, i'd like our listing to receive as much exposure as possible as the dates available are in january. do we need to create a new listing, or is our listing still visible? not sure how to proceed. thanks for your help!

6 Replies 6
Ryan59
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

How is your cancellation policy now? Is he going to get refund if he cancels now? 

it's a strict policy, he will get 50% minus service fees. 

Ryan59
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

So, he should cancel asap to get charged the least. And then you can relist. You will get your 50% and the cleaning fee as per your policy. 

Ryan59
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

You do NOT owe him a favour. But if you wish that he does not get charged at all for the cancellation, you can call airbnb customer support and tell them guest wants to cancel and you don't want to take any money from them, as a fact of good will. Make sure you you mention that cancellation is a request from guest, NOT you....I did this once a few months ago as I was sympathetic for the guest's cause. Airbnb was very happy about it and sent me gift by post as THANK YOU. 
(This is optional and it's going extra mile to be a wonderful host) 🙂

Ryan59
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

He needs to cancel from his end and he will get charged whatever your policy stands for. And after that your listing will be avaailable for others to book. NOT before it's cancelled. Youy should NOT make a 2nd copy listing for the same property as it will cause a lot of hassle afterwards.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Liz284

You are right, the guest needs to hit that cancel button to free up your dates and get the refund he is owed according to your cancellation policy. 

Then you can give him a fair offer of an additional refund if you are able to re-rent.

If you book a non-refundable rate at a hotel, you will not get refunded, so expecting a full refund at an airbnb if you "cannot make it" is unrealistic and unfair.