guest wants to host retreat

Erica1323
Level 1
Berkley, MA

guest wants to host retreat

I've been a host for 1.5 years now. I just had my first guest reach out about hosting a chemical free mother daughter retreat for 10 people. My house sleeps 10 so that is not a problem. I asked for more details and she said it was 5 mother daughter pairs, they were interested in "hiking, campfire, connecting, sisterhood and some mediation and yoga as well."

I am wondering if anyone has experience with this. I tried to do some research and am worried about potential liability/insurance issues if someone were to get hurt during the "retreat". Any feedback is appreciated! 

2 Replies 2

@Erica1323  I think for insurance purposes, your liability issues would about be the same as if a group of 10 booked your home and used your listed amenities (fire pit, kayaks, etc) but didn't refer to their stay as a "retreat."

But where you could run into trouble is if the organizer is running retreats as a commercial enterprise, rather than an activity with a peer group. Also, not to sound too cynical, but be aware that large group guests aren't always honest about their intentions, and requests like these often turn out to be Trojan Horses for parties and excess visitors.

Thank you for your input. I hadn't thought about the commercial aspect of it. Yes, I am a little worried a larger group would end up showing up rather than the small group she is stating.