#guests do not deserve a good rating

#guests do not deserve a good rating

I really can’t rate our latest guests they arrived thinking there was a kitchen and WiFi when it’s clearly stated NOT so unfriendly and non communicative. Help

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Elizabeth2243 perhaps you could actually say in your description that there is no kitchen or wifi. I fear a lot pf people booking a whole property would, rightly or wrongly, assume these would exist.

I can't see anywhere in your description it says there is no kitchen/wifi

About this space
Set apart from the main residence and completely private with views over to Snowdon. Located in the heart of the Llyn Penisula and a short drive from fabulous beaches. Lots to choose from Aberdaron & Abersoch approx 6 miles and the Market town of Pwllheli is 8 miles. The Bothy is set in 4 acres on a working smallholding and gardens at the foot of Rhiw. Double bed, wet room flat screen TV, fridge, tea and coffee maker. Free parking on site.
The space
You have sole use of the Bothy and you are able to access the Gardens.
Guest access
You can wander around all the gardens but not into the gated fields.

@Elizabeth2243   Here's what I would write in your situation:

"Regrettably, the farmhouse fell short of Homer & Marge's expectations because its listed amenities do not include WiFi or a kitchen. In hindsight, I wish we had been able to establish a better line of communication to ensure that the home was the best fit for their needs."

You can round that out with anything else worth mentioning - like if they checked in on time, left the home tidy, and followed House Rules, and rate appropriately. These guests could have made things easier for themselves if they'd read your listing properly, but I agree with @Mike-And-Jane0  that you can significantly reduce the odds of this recurring if you write a more thorough listing description acknowledging the lack of some commonly expected amenities, and even more so if you double-check that the guest understands what they're getting before you accept a request. (I wouldn't recommend Instant Book, as a unique home like yours better suits the booker who slows down and pays careful attention).

It's all about managing expectations, and helping guests visualize the experience they'll have. If guests can't live out their farmhouse fantasy of frying up farm-fresh eggs every morning, you can at least get them excited about the meals they might enjoy at the pubs up the road.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Elizabeth2243 

I see that “kitchen” and “WiFi” are both crossed out on your amenities list.

Unfortunately some guests are too lazy to spend the 30 seconds it took me to find that.

I think you should state plainly in the description: NO KITCHEN. NO WIFI.

Then remind them when they book. We have to aim low when estimating the reasoning ability of more than a few potential guests.

Good points thank you all. Had no problems with any of the other guests but I guess there’s always one. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Elizabeth2243  I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to rate the guests. You  don't make it clear whether they never stayed, cancelled and left, or just complained. I would give them low stars for communication, and if they didn't stay, whatever you feel like for house rules and cleanliness. A lot of hosts will just give arrive-and-leave guests 5 * in categories they can't honestly rate. Personally I'd be tempted to leave 3*s for those if the guests were unfriendly and rude to me. Guests can't see the star ratings they are given anyway, and it would make it more difficult for them to get accepted by other hosts and be unfriendly and disgruntled towards them, too.

@Sarah977  the guests in question did stay. Sorry that wasn’t clear. I did low star rate for their rudeness. Amazing what a lack of WiFi as stated in my bio can do to a person.  I did offer her the bench outside of our home if she really needed to connect. We have had all fabulous guests since we started and not a single moan so I reacted to all their negativity!!! I shall have to learn by this experience.  Thank you for your input 🙏