guests not being truthful on their booking

Answered!
Michelle1818
Level 2
Tarpon Springs, FL

guests not being truthful on their booking

I'm seeing a trend on people booking for 2, then 4 or even 8 show up.  I have a ring door bell camera disclosed on my profile and I state that I leave it on until they check into the house.  My last group booked in for a month, with 2 people, I live just down the street, they had 4 to 6 people in the house.  I had to pay my cleaning service double.  The group before that stated 2 and showed up with 8.  Some of these are excessive but I worry about them tanking my rating if I confront them.  any ideas?

1 Best Answer
Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

hello @Michelle1818 

First, let me say, your listing is beautiful! 

For me, if I had a 3 bedroom house, that sleeps 8, and it was booked for only 2 people, alarm bells would ring. Why such a big place for a small group?

I would ask the question, and tell them that for insurance purposes, only the people listed in the booking would be covered for insurance. I also would put on the listing that you live 2. min away from the property.

I checked your listing and  could not find the mention of the ring camera. Maybe add it next to the listing of "Wifi, Roku, 3D tv and movie assortment, board games for a break from the sun".

I would add this as many times as possible, saying that is for their security as well.

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

hello @Michelle1818 

First, let me say, your listing is beautiful! 

For me, if I had a 3 bedroom house, that sleeps 8, and it was booked for only 2 people, alarm bells would ring. Why such a big place for a small group?

I would ask the question, and tell them that for insurance purposes, only the people listed in the booking would be covered for insurance. I also would put on the listing that you live 2. min away from the property.

I checked your listing and  could not find the mention of the ring camera. Maybe add it next to the listing of "Wifi, Roku, 3D tv and movie assortment, board games for a break from the sun".

I would add this as many times as possible, saying that is for their security as well.

Michelle1818
Level 2
Tarpon Springs, FL

Thanks, I’ll give that a try.  The camera piece is under house rules and again in our manual.  I think I’m going to also add it to my check in process.  Appreciate the feedback.  Hope your safe and well. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Michelle1818 When 2 people book, you could ask which bedroom they prefer, then LOCK the other two?

Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

This isn't a new trend. When owners charge per person, they are discounting - offering the whole property for less money. People see they can easily take advantage.

Rent the property out for a fixed price. Don't charge per person. Problem solved. You'll get maximum income rather than discounting for fewer people. You'll attract families rather than couples.

@Trevor243 It's not a new trend but it's an increasing trend right now. More and more bad guys have learned that we hosts really can't do too much with their parties most of time so they are tricking us, given that the cost to do such trick is ALMOST NOTHING.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Michelle1818 

Our apartments are listed in two configurations, either as a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom, and the listings are linked to avoid double booking.  When a guest chooses the 1 bedroom option, the 2 bedroom is locked off.

Our house is connected to the rental space, and we have exterior security cameras and motion lights, and Ring doorbells.  We never turn any of them off.

If you want to retain the reservation, ask the guest to pay fees for the additional guests, and send them a money request via Airbnb.  If they pay, then you should be satisfied.  If the payment request is refused, cancel the reservation immediately.

That’s fantastic idea. I didn’t realize. You could do that. Thanks 

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Michelle1818 

I see on your listing that you charge for extra guests after 2 people book.

If 8 people arrive but book for '2' only, your listing is 'discounted' by a substantial 45 percent.

I think that pricing spread is too wide. I'd suggest repricing your listing assuming 4/6 will arrive, then charge for extra guests after this to limit your pricing lower and upper amounts.

Some good advice above, but beware of locking internal doors without a very detailed brief in your listing description. 

Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Elena87  and @Michelle1818 

That is very good suggestion. As you have 3 beds in 3 bedrooms, I would assume starting occupation at 6 people.

I would just charge for the extra 2 possible - assuming you wold need to supply extra linen for a sofa pull out bed.

PaulAndSusan0
Level 3
Ledyard, CT

Was relying on an instant booked guest to acknowledge and respond to our e-mail concerning our state's COVID travel restrictions. After another attempt we finally find out the guest was not from the state listed on her AIRBNB profile. She stated she was from our state & was coming with husband for anniversary. Happened to notice in one of he prior reviews, that she had booked a place for a photo shoot. A simple computer check revealed that she was a photographer and advertised on her facebook photography page that she had rented this beautiful AIRBNB (including the dates) for taking reservations for "Boudoir" sessions at our AIRBNB complete withy copied photos from our listing. We immediately cancelled her reservation and she responded saying one friend had asked her t0o take some pictures & she was appalled at our "stalking". I guess she meant finding her ad on her photography website clearly advertising our place for her sessions. Not sure how best to report these activities, both the deception in her residence and deception in her intent to use our place. We clearly prohibit parties, functions, etc in our listing, and wonderful if it is legal for someone to use our AIRBNB listed photos.

Any Advice would be helpful, this one seems to take the cake in our years as super host. The guests real residence is even more important now with all the COVID travel restrictions & perhaps AIRBNB should require address updates from guests when they move. The deception, whether intentional or not is disturbing.