have plumbing issues during guest stay

Enrico165
Level 1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

have plumbing issues during guest stay

Hello everyone! 

I'm helping as co-host for my girlfriend's listing, and we're having an issue i never had to deal with before. 

We currently have guests in her flat, staying since few days and for 10 nights more.

This morning we received a message from the neighbour downstairs regarding a leak in her ceiling, probably caused by

a plumbing issue in my gf's flat, currently occupied by the above guests.

The neighbour is putting pressure on us to fix the issue as soon as possible, and we may have a plumber to come and carry out works that would not allow the guests to use the bathroom, therefore to stay in the flat.

Does anyone have an idea of what happen in these cases? Should we just alert the guests and cancel the current reservation from the dashboard, and airbnb is going to find a new place for them? Are we going to lose the whole money of this reservation? The only thing i found in Airbnb help center says we might not pay a penalty if we provide documentation about the damage, but it's not very clear if this penalty is deducted from the price of the reservation or is extra.

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help 🙂

5 Replies 5
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Enrico165 You should refund the guest for the nights she won't be staying. The best is to communicate with her and find a solution that works for both of you.

@Enrico165

Also you should check to make sure the guest is not responsible for the plumbing issue. If they threw anything they shouldn't have into the toilet causing blockage that damaged pipes, or if they flooded the bathroom causing the leak to your neighbor then they need to be held responsible. But don't let them know you are suspicious of them until you have proof!!! (if it's not their fault they will be offended that you suspected them, if they are guilty they will try to get rid of the evidence and have a story ready) 

You should contact the guest via ABB messenger to inform them of your neighbor's leak, ask whether there seem to be any problems from their end (like toilet not flushing or sink clogging), tell them you will need to send a plumber to check pipes within the next 24~48hrs as soon as you can get someone there and also let them know you will be contacting ABB just in case the plumbing issue is serious and they may need to be re-homed. Don't imply you think they might have anything to do with the plumbing issue. You should meet the plumber and enter the home together, take pictures and document everything.

Whatever you do, don't cancel on your own. If you do end up having to cancel, contact ABB and have them do it for you, they will handle the refund from their end and should help your guests to find alternative housing. Also make sure the plumber provides you with documentation to support the extenuating circumstance cancellation.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1341/are-there-exceptions-to-the-host-cancellation-penalties

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-if-i-need-to-cancel-because-of-an-emergency-or-unavoid...

In my building water pipe bust In a b b and damaged at least 4 condos below, caused water in crawl space that impacts us all what are your thoughts to this issue?

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Robin560 it happens, it doesn't matter if the apartment is used for Airbnb or not. Just get a plumber and fix the problem, or if it's not your place the owner should fix it. 

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

only saw now 2018