hosting an Airbnb in kochi kerala

hosting an Airbnb in kochi kerala

hi all, I'm Niranjana and I'm putting up my heritage family villa on airbnb. its situated in kochi Kerala. how do I go about it please? any leads are appreciated. I'm a content creator and documentary  filmmaker turning to host. next to zero experience. 

can you please help with any leads and help on how I need to go about permits etc?

TIA

9 Replies 9
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Niranjana1 

In terms of permits you will need to speak to your local government or national government whoever sets policy for short term rentals to see what permissions you might need.

You also need to check to see what health and safety legislation you may need to comply with in terms of fire and building safety, gas checks etc.

You can find information on setting up your listing on Airbnb's website, the useful tutorials and guide in this community and Airbnb Help Centre FAQs

Jacquline0
Level 2
Kochi, India

Hi,

Just saw your query.

Hope you have figured it all by now.

If not, it works something like this.

Approach your local health circle for a license to run home stay.

From there, it will be a few more paper works and if all goes well, you will get a license.

Another important thing is registering with FRRO at airport so that you can File form-C for foreigners.

Well, its rather tedious to get all these thing done. 

Thanks Jacquiline!

Even I was looking for the procedures for hosting foreigners in my homestay in Kochi.

I am trying to get a municipality license for my Airbnb listing from Thrikkakkara Municipality. My house is in Vazhakkala Kakkanadu EkM. However I don't live there so I an wondering whether it should be under 'home stay' or under A2 class special residence' . The person I talked to said it will cost about 40 to 50K indian Rupee to get this permit converted and also the annual tax will be something like 13k. Is this the same that you are doing ? Or am I on a wrong track? Appreciate your guidance here

Hi Sunil, it can be homestay. The license you apply from Kerala tourism department should be serviced villa. They have a basic prerequisite of one security n cook should be available in the property if its serviced villa. You can walk to tourism department located in marine drive for more information. They are helpful ppl.

Arun316
Level 1
TVM, India

Im new to this field. I am running an alternative medicine therapy center in Trivandrum. Therapy is mainly for life style diseases. We use acupressure, acupuncture , diet and stress management techniques. We have a beautiful space upstairs. So I thought we may use it for people coming here for natural therapies. Ant suggestions or ideas. Please share. love all.

Vini381
Level 1
Sydney, Australia

Hi @Niranjana1 , I wonder how are you going with your listing of your property in AirBnb platform ? I am in the process of listing my property in Cochin doing the same but I am not living there now because I am overseas now . I appreciate if you can share me the steps you have taken to get approval for listing from the Cochin area authorities. Also how to get the home maintenance team set up for ongoing cleaning & laundry before and after each booking . 
thanks 

Vini 

Hi Vini!

I am trying to understand the same - let me know if you find out 🙂

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you been in contact with your local government or whoever sets any STR regulations in your area @Vini381