hosting service dogs

Kindra1
Level 1
Portland, OR

hosting service dogs

I have booked my home to a couple with a service dog (I have a no pet policy) but for a service dog I am ok, how do i verify/know that this is in actuality a service animal and that I am dealing with respectable people, Is there a tactful way to have this type of conversation?  Any suggestions are appreciated.

I am new to airbnb and trying to educate myself here. 

9 Replies 9

Go to this website and type in the 10 digit code on their certification papers 

https://www.usservicedogregistry.org

Glad to know this. I have not yet had a booking with someone who had a service dog, but I copied the link you offered for future reference. 

@Kindra1

This thread seems to have covered quite a bit on this subject.  

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/New-Hosts/Service-Dogs-beware/m-p/63265/highlight/true#M6796

Don't ask--its illegal to ask questions about service dogs in Oregon.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi Kindra - service dogs are not considered to be pets. Also, in many countries it is illegal to quiz people about their need for a service animal, or suggest that they need to prove it is a service animal. I would just accept the booking at its face value - it will be pretty obvious if someone turns up with a pet rather than a service animal.

We don't allow pets, but I would be very happy to think we were able to host someone with a service animal given the difficulties people face day to day just getting around on public transport, or shopping, or eating out.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Kindra1

Under https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

it says:

"

• A person with a disability cannot be asked to remove his service animal from the premises unless: (1) the dog is out of control and the handler does not take effective action to control it or (2) the dog is not housebroken. When there is a legitimate reason to ask that a service animal be removed, staff must offer the person with the disability the opportunity to obtain goods or services without the animal’s presence."

- at least it's possible to have the dog removed in case you run into trouble because the dog turns out to be a nuisance.

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

You may legally ask if the handler has a disability (but not what the disability is.) 

You may ask if the dog is trained to do a task to assist the handler in the disability. 

You may ask what the task is.

You may not ask the handler to have the dog demonstrate the task.

You may require that the dog be housetrained and under the handler's control. 

You may require that the handler never leave the dog unattended at the premises. 

You may require that the handler provide all supplies and care for the dog.

Emotional support animals (ESA) are not service dogs.  An ESA is not guaranteed access.

Therapy dogs, companion dogs, search dogs and other trained dogs are not guaranteed access.

PTSD dogs for disabled veterans are service dogs that do a task and are guaranteed access.

The suggestion to enter a number in a website is not accurate.  True service dogs are not required to have a number, and any dog owner can get a number by paying that bogus organization a fee.

You may tell the guest that you are happy to accommodate a service dog but that you choose not to accommodate an ESA or other pet.  Then say that you would like them to provide answers to the questions you are permitted to ask. 

The whole ESA and fake service animal thing is reaching crisis proportions.  It is really unfair to disabled individuals who need their service dog for sucessful basic daily living.  I would encourage you to accommodate service dogs and exclude fakers.  We allow dogs so that doesn't come up for us, but I just despise people that scam to bring a dog where pets are not allowed.

City limits,

Totally agree. My dog trainer is also a service dog trainer, so I know what goes into it. I have an ESA for flying, prescribed by my actual mental health care professional. Not some website. She helps me a lot but she's NOT a service dog. I wish the ADA made a clearer distinction. My flying problem can be cured with a couple of xanax. Not so for people who actually need a service dog.  I've seen ESA's try to play or get aggressive with on duty service dogs. I don't even fly with her anymore because of all the scammers. I don't want to add to the problem.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Raise your rates. There are 2 reasons:

1. Make sure you cover the cost for these animals

2. Make sure you are not scraping the bottom of the barrel by renting to poor entitled people who consume their lives thinking about how to get something for nothing.

Do not ask the tenant anything. Smile and accept their service animal. You live in a very liberal city that protects these abusers.

You will see an ugly side of life if you asks tenant questions.  Just charge more and protect yourself