house rules violation

Answered!
Anna121
Level 2
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

house rules violation

Breaching of house rules.

I had guests who violated the house rules.

They were smokign inside the apartment . When my partner came for the check out, all apartment was in ciggarettes, it was very durty-garbage and food on the floor, on the tables, kitchen was not acceccible due to the garbage. Toliets were full of water on the floor. Walls were dirty.Alcohol everywhere.

Smell was horrible. there we 2 ladies visitors apart from the guests who booked (visitors are allowed but better not to show to the host what kin dof visitors you had, especially such 'professionally' looked lady visitors who managed to take 40 min for the check out while my partner was waiting for them.

Check out time was agreed million times before. 

However a night before the check out I received several sms aksing for late check out/extension etc. Sms at 1:30 am, 2am, 3:30 am.

It was very nervous situation as my next guest were coming the same day (b2b booking) and I discussed it with that guest before he made the booking.

Anyway.

Before every guest books I separately ask to check y house rules. all our apartments are non smoking. This was a parodise for families, ppl with allergy etc. We keep is so fresh and clean. We love each part of the apartments(25 in total), we personally keep it and take care of it. Every linen, glass, pillow etc. For more than a year I didnt have anyone who would violate the house rules so rudely. On the check in my partner spek personally with guests about it.

In my house rules it is stated the fine for the smoking 500USD. and it is fair. As super deep cleaning+laundry of everything to remove the smell+stress for the next guest who intended to check in to fresh apartment and receive smelly unit.It cost even more.

In normal situation I would charge the security refundable deposit and I would be right. Here in airbnb we are not allowed to collect deposit in cash. 800USD deposit is stated in my listing. Saying if there is a violation I can request airbnb ti charge it.

But I dont feel airbnb will help me with this. I dont feel they will actually charge the guest who will not agree to pay. Guest said to my face that I am wrong and he did not smoke. When we were staying inside the apartment full of ciggarettes! He said to my face I am liar! I made photos, videos.

What to do now? How to trust?

I have an itention to cancel any bookign from people of same nationalities/age/company members.

Any suggestion you can give me?

1 Best Answer
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You have a security deposit in place so make a claim. Take lots of photos and get a quote for the additional cleaning. I assume you have kept all conversations with the guests on the Airbnb platform as this will also support your claim.

Going forward you need to think carefully about your house rules. Allowing visitors is asking for trouble in my opinion. Also be clear in your rules about the cost of the extra cleaning charge should guests leave the place in an unacceptable state. Also be clear what the extra charge is for deep cleaning required if people smoke in your property. That way it make it much easier to claim against the deposit.

Clearly it's very upsetting but saying you are going to ban everyone of that nationality and age will fall foul of AirBnB's policies, and is not the right answer in any event.

Good luck and Rene Reyes it is a rare occurrence.

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You have a security deposit in place so make a claim. Take lots of photos and get a quote for the additional cleaning. I assume you have kept all conversations with the guests on the Airbnb platform as this will also support your claim.

Going forward you need to think carefully about your house rules. Allowing visitors is asking for trouble in my opinion. Also be clear in your rules about the cost of the extra cleaning charge should guests leave the place in an unacceptable state. Also be clear what the extra charge is for deep cleaning required if people smoke in your property. That way it make it much easier to claim against the deposit.

Clearly it's very upsetting but saying you are going to ban everyone of that nationality and age will fall foul of AirBnB's policies, and is not the right answer in any event.

Good luck and Rene Reyes it is a rare occurrence.
Sam32
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

#1.  State in your no smoking rule that their will be a cleaning fee to eliminate smoke smell from the house.

#2. Provide a smoking area outdoors and  away from the house

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Anna

Do you have smoke alarms if not get them straight away (the newer models will detect cigarette smoke, problem solved)?

If you guests interfere with these alarms, it can be regarded as criminal damage and thats a whole different ball game.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow

Barbara1051
Level 2
Penzance, United Kingdom

I agree that I don't feel Airbnb will help me with much less dramatic, but still infurating breaches of house rules.

Hosts not cleaning up after themselves, or stripping the bed as asked, cleaning the shower as asked, putting recycling and rubbish away as asked, or checking out at the right time.

I have put 'gentle' signage around the place to re-inforce what I have put on the website, that guests are supposed to have read & agreed to.

There is no recourse for this disresepectful behaviour..which is not overtly serious enough to reclaim the deposit or make a complaint.

Guests don't seem to care about their reviews, and don't seem to understand what it means when they get a low score, and I don't like seeming rude and writing a truthful critical review.

I do sometimes suggest to them that there are things they can do to make it nicer for other Airbnb hosts they visit.

All round, it's a real stress.

@Barbara1051 the situation you descibe is a very frustrating one for hosts: not damage or criminal behavior, but just plain disrespect for the rules and the host.

You say, though, that you "don't like seeming rude and writing a truthful critical review."

It is very important to the other hosts that you write truthful reviews. If you experience rude behavior and say nothing about it in your reviews, then other hosts will be stuck in the same situation you are.

If the guests you have did this to prior hosts, would you not have liked knowing about it ahead of time?

Truthful reviews from other hosts enable later hosts to make informed choices about whether to allow these guests into their home.

Please do write truthful reviews about rude guests.

Thankyou,

I really  appreciate your supportive reply.

It helps firm up my feelings about this matter.

It has been tough doing this,& feeling unsupported.

Much appreciated.

Why is stripping the bed necessary? why would you leave it up to  guest to clean the shower for the next guest? Its your reviews that are at stake. I ask guests to leave cleaning to me, leave towels on the floor in bathroom, leave beds unmaid, leave dishes in the sink, leave trash. The readyness and cleanlyness of the house is on me, not the outgoing guest. 

Barbara1051
Level 2
Penzance, United Kingdom

Thankyou 

We all host our own way,& my rules are different from yours ( but not uncommon amongst hosts)

i appreciate your reply,& taking time to read my comments.

it feels good to be heard.

All best

Just curious but when my fiance and I book a stay it has a cleaning fee attached. I wonder do I have to do more cleaning then a normal "picker upper". I agree people should leave a place the way they found it but if I'm paying a cleaning fee why do I have to clean? I can understand if someone left your place like they had a party or ruined your things I would be upset. What does the cleaning fee entail? And I mean no disrespect just asking a question and giving my thought😊 

@Eileen340 I can only answer for our listing but the cleaning fee covers the laundry and about an hours minimum wage cleaning. We actually take about 5 hours to turn around the 3 bed apartment! Our expectation is that all rubbish is removed and the place left tidy. Some go above and beyond and hoover round which is a real bonus to us even though it still needs to be done again to ensure there is minimal dust for the next guest.

Unlike some we prefer the bedding to remain on the beds as. it helps us spot any stains that may need pre-treatment before laundering.

Air-Plus-Concierge0
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

if someone breaks a house rule like smoking(happenning right now)...why can't i keep their deposit..or better yet, kick them out??   I was told by Airbnb if I kick hem out, the days that are not used I would have top compensate them!!   Who is going to compensate me if io get lung cancer from second hand smoke???????  there needs to be a change in policy!!   Why should i have to compensate days if someone violates my rules which NO SMOKINGH SIGNS ARE POSTED IN EVERY ROOM AND EVEN MENTIONED IN RESERVATION MONTHS PRIOR TO TRAVELERS ARIVAL?? HOTELS GET TO CHARGE PEOPLE FOR SMOKING IN A NON SMOKING ROOM..........WHAT RIGHTS DO WE HAVE???????????    NONE I GUESS....CAN SOMEBODY HELP ME?????

Arthur111
Level 2
Calistoga, CA

Today I had a similar situation happen to me.  An AirBnB renter violated our no smoking policy.  Our luxury home is in the fire ravaged area of Calistoga and because it is a very expensive property we have all renters sign a rental agreement, in which it is very clear that smoking is absolutely not permitted and we have a zero tolerance for violations.  We clearly state there is a USD$1,000 fine for violating this policy.  We lost one home in the California fires last year and will not loose another.    Well the guest first denied it, but when presented evidence (security camera video & pictures of cigarette boxes and ashes in the trash) they tried to distract from their irresponsibility by claiming our home did not have the bed arrangements they thought they were getting.  After providing her with the listing that shows the bed arrangements, she then claimed the cigarettes were vape!  Mind you, this woman is an AirBnB host herself in Chicago.

Anyway, we engaged AirBnB and to our shock and surprise AirBnB said they would do nothing for us!!!  As such we have deactivated our listing and cancelled all AirBnB Reservations. 

OWNERS BEWARE...AirBnB will NOT support you If a renter violated one of your house rules!

You are so correct; they don't support their host even with evidence, and a security depoit. If the guest rejects or ignores your request, Airbnb provides no support to you.  My house rules are listed online with my listing in the rental contract with the fees for breaking the rules listed also, like for smoking and leaving trash in the house.  My guests brought in extra people,  broke three other house rules, and refused to pay the fees and even though I used the resolution center and supplied pictures and text messages where the guest admitted smoking, and they paid me nothing.  House rules mean nothing to Airbnb. They denied my request and Airbnb closed the case, leaving me no recourse except to stop using them for renting my house.  Up until this happended, I thought Airbnb was the best rental platform around, but I will now hire an agency who will support me and protect my property from abuse.

I had some house guest break so House rules as well. I wanted to know if i could kick them out ? and if i do do they guest get to write a negative review? I had one guest who broke the house rules and i just waited for them to check out.  I havent had serious damages thank god and i did leave an honest review . I guess this means hosts beware ?