how do I set an age requirement on my listing?

Diane1160
Level 1
Lexington, SC

how do I set an age requirement on my listing?

I just listed my property and this is a first for me on Airbnb. I currently use Vrbo. I was wondering how to set an age requirement for my listing?

Diane L Curtiss
5 Replies 5
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Diane1160 

You can't. On Airbnb, it's somewhat "against the rules". 

You can on other platforms, but not Airbnb. 

What you can do is vet your guests, particularly the ones who have no profile or history. Ask them what is bringing them to you area, verify how many persons, and the age ranges of those staying. Their responses can tell you a lot. Even if they don't respond 🙄

Scare them away if it smells funny. Ask for a large security deposit. That usually scares them away. 

Watch your back. Better than dealing with it "after the fact".

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The age requirement for Airbnb is 18 years plus UNLESS you live in a development which has age restrictions @Diane1160 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Helen3 @Diane1160 @Elaine701 

It is a common belief that Airbnb doesn't allow age discrimination, but it's not true. Airbnb only disallows age discrimination where it is already prohibited by law. In most places in the US, that means it is entirely okay to have a minimum age for renters.

(How to enforce it is another matter, of course.)

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2867/nondiscrimination-policy

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Lisa723 

Perhaps that's true. Restricting on the basis of age is very common here. Fir example, you generally can't rent a car if you're under 25, unless you out down thousands in deposits. Your insurance premiums will be much higher if you're under 25.

Most villas in our area won't accept under 25s as a group. Except on Airbnb of course, since there's no filter for that. And I know of at least 3 villa owners who refuse to use Airbnb for that and other reasons. They've successfully long established themselves on other platforms and have no motivation to list on Airbnb.

Although I maintain that Airbnb if nothing else, delivers bookings. It's really good at that. Nowadays, you just have to look very carefully at who's booking. It requires somewhat skilled work to avoid scaring away the good ones in the process, but Airbnb can be very rewarding ...if you pay attention.

Hi I am new to hosting on Airbnb. Just so I am clear,  I cannot turn away anyone who is under 21? Can I state that I take upfront security deposits for anyone under the age 25?