how do you charge a pet fee

Madelyn1
Level 2
Sedona, AZ

how do you charge a pet fee

I want to allow folks to have pets... but to me there is potential for both extra damage... and almost always extra clenaing.

TO that end, I would like to charge a nightly pet fee for $10. How would I do this.  (or a one time pet fee of $40) and increase the security deposit to $200.

38 Replies 38
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Madelyn1 You can charge for extra services through the Resolution Center.  Here's a helpful guide:

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/The-Resolution-Center-A-Community-Help-Guide-Request...

Increasing the Security Deposit is trickier since changing it on your listing will go into effect on future bookins and can't be applied to a reservations that have already been accepted.  You can include it in the Special Services, but then you'll have to remember to refund the guest after they leave... a lot of work for you. 

Robert76
Level 1
Drury, New Zealand

Many, many weeks ago, I attempted to find out as to how we would charge a pet fee. Response to date = zero. Here in New Zealand it is not unusual to have guests with even largish dogs. A $10/night (NZ) would be a fair price but a $200 security deposit would not go down well here. We have been in the B&B game for 12 years. It would be great to get some assistance from AirBNB instead of standard formalised answers from a computor.

Alan21
Level 3
Houston, TX

For the last few years I have not charged a pet fee but now find that I need to begin charging one. However, while VRBO makes it very easy I cannot figure out if airbnb has a way to charge a pet fee, without going through some kind of special offer to the guest that includes the additional fee. The problem with that is then you cannot take instant bookings. Does anyone have the magic answer as to how we can charge for a pet fee right under where you charge for a cleaning fee?? thank you!

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

I talked to a CSR at Airbnb and was told Airbnb isn't set up to charge a pet fee.  She explained that I can submit to the Guest a Special Offer when they submit a Booking Request (if we choose to host them), increasing the total cost of the stay by the amount of the pet fees.  This seems simplest to me; the Guests know and pay up-front the cost of the pet as it is incorporated into the cost of the stay.  There are no further steps after that.  I haven't had the opportunity to try it, but I put this in the House Rules on our website.

AIRBNB really needs to modify this. Instant book guests are able to sign up and avoid the pet fee. 

I would also like to charge a pet fee.  This really needs to be a simple option for guests when they make a reservation so they can see upfront if they are allowed and what the fee is.  Until this is an option, I will have to continue listing as not allowing pets.

I can't find a way to talk to AirBNB and this pet fee issue is ridiculous.  I'll start asking folks to book through VRBO where it's all very clear, from pet fees to damage deposits.  Does anyone know how to contact AirBNB personally?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

1. Use the search function in these forums - the most commonly asked and answered question

2. 2nd Post - CONTACT AIRBNB, Community Help forum outlines all the ways to contact them.

3. Information on setting pet fee https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/52/how-should-i-choose-my-listing-s-price

Call airbnb

at ‭(855) 424-7262‬

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Madelyn1

Announce the extra fee clearly in your listing and also in your House Rules (they are what guests agree to when signing up).

As @Clare states, you can then charge your fee through the Resolution Center.

However, once you've charged something through your one-time option of doing this per booking, you wouldn't be able to use The Resolution Center again in case of damages or otherwise for said booking.

The other option you have is to charge by way of booking change. If guests don't accept it before arriving, you'll have to get them to accept before you let them into your listing. "Oh, I just noticed you haven't completed your reservation to include the dog. Let's just finalize this right now, and then you can get comfortable."

If you let them in before they've agreed to the change and wait in hopes of it happening the day after or the day after that, it'll probably never happen...

Great idea - thank you!

How stupid on AirBnB's part. They expect us to go through those extra steps? We can all just start directing guests to book through VRBO if they can't figure this out.

Alexia28
Level 1
Charlottesville, VA

Is there still no way to do this? We are hosting hundreds of guests per month most of which utilizie instant booking... to have to communicate about an increase charge with each of them per booking would be exhausting. I would prefer it be built into the platform just like say weekend pricing. We are very pet friendly because we are a farm and I bet 45% of our guests are bringing dogs... but there is an inherent risk in this and some of them have killed livestock even though we have house rules regarding leashes especially around the chickens. For this risk to be worth it I would like to charge a fee. This seems simple on airbnb's end!

It is so easy in VRBO to add for additional housekeeping if they want to pre-arrange it and the pet fee.  We are in a very pet friendy area where everyone brings their dog.  Is there no way to be able to add fee and label is what we want.  It's a simple thing really.  I added it to my notes but when people do instant book, it's not being paid.  Please help.