how much coffee do you supply?

Julie1525
Level 4
Mabton, WA

how much coffee do you supply?

My last 2 guest stays were one day and 3 days. The guests who were here 3 days drank a whole 1.5 lb. container of Starbucks coffee. They were only here early in the morning and then got back about 8 pm. The guest who stayed a single night prepared 2 full pots of coffee, used a dozen creamers and as many packets of sugar. She threw out most of the coffee she brewed. Such a waste and expense! In hotels, they leave 2 packets of coffee and replace any used ones the next day. Am I being stingy by thinking that supplying an unlimited amount of coffee sets me up for being depleted by such guests? Would I be better off by getting a smaller coffee pot? I don't drink coffee, so I don't really know what is normal.

68 Replies 68
Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I leave an entire container of Foldgers. My first 4 guests this season haven't made any coffee. So I suppose it all balances out if / when you get a coffee hoarder.

@Pete69  I wouldn't drink the coffee either if what I found was Folgers 🙂

@Pete69 

I'm with @Sarah977 ...... unless I was desperate for ANYTHING resembling coffee, I wouldn't touch Folgers ground coffee. I'd rather have instant. 

I'm not exctly a coffee connoisseur. I don't drink coffee. I read in a post last year that someone provides Fodgers. What store bought coffee would you (or anyone else) recommend?

@Pete69  Costco's Kirkland brand is pretty good, but I'm not sure it comes ground, you have to use the in-store grinder. Starbucks is good, also Kicking Horse. And some grocery stores sell bulk coffee out of the bins that's not too bad. 

But that's one way to save on coffee for guests- just supply something no one wants to drink, it'll last forever 🙂

@Pete69  @Julie1525 

First thing about coffee is....... "ground coffee" will go stale pretty fast once you open the bag/container. Unless you are buying roasted beans and grinding in batches yourself, you need to buy in smaller quantities. Or if you want to buy ground coffee in bulk, you need to vaccum seal in small batches (I recommend about 2 weeks worth for each batch) and store them in a cool, dark pantry (up to 6 months) or in the freezer (longer than 6 months). Never in the fridge. 

Ground coffee should be stored in an air-tight glass or ceramic container and once exposed to air will go stale in about 2~3 weeks. 

For store-bought grounds I think Illy or Lavazza are the better options. Starbucks is also good too. Stay away from flavored coffees, and when in doubt choose beans/grounds with the word "espresso" on the label. 

Hope this helps~

I actually own  a wheat grinder so that ought to work with coffee beans. I think I'll shop around for a little vaccum sealer or at least some small containers to hold the ground up bean "servings".

What would be the most middle-of-the-road Starbucks,  Illy or Lavazza coffee flavors to buy?

@Pete69  Don't buy "flavored" coffee. The majority of coffee drinkers won't like it. (I think of flavored coffee as something for teenagers, like wine coolers) I prefer a dark roast myself, but not everyone does. A medium blend will please the most folks. 

A mix of K-Cups including flavored is always appreciayed, but I agree the majority want a dark roast Dark Magic by Green Mountain is good.

@Pete69 

Starbucks - Breakfast blend or Caffe Verona. 

Illy - Espresso Dark Roast or Espresso Medium Roast. (If you have a typical drip coffee machine then buy "ground filter coffee". )

Lavazza - Gran Aroma Ground Coffee Blend Medium Espresso Roast or Crema E Gusto Ground Coffee. 

Getting the right grind is also important so if you buy whole beans, then I suggest you ask them to grind if for you. (shops usually ask how you make your coffee to get the appropriate grind size) 

You can find sealers that have jar attachments, meaning for canning jars. You can buy 4 oz canning jars and lids, either the kind that is a one piece lid or the 2 piece lid. Either is resealable, regardless of what the lid manufacturers say.  You're not trying to prevent botulism. That's a good idea. I think I may do that too.

@Jessica-and-Henry0 What is it about grounds with the word "espresso" on the label that sets it apart?

@Julie1525 

It just represents to the "roast" of the beans. Beans roasted for "espresso" are usually a very typical, medium-dark roast. Great for those who like strong bold coffees, also goes well with milk, and for those who prefer mild coffee making a weaker version with less grinds and extra water will usually do the job. 

Costco has Columbian Supremo in both ground and bean form. I think it’s a very decent medium roast for the price.

Trader Joe’s also does a good Columbian Supremo. It’s in a nice looking can with a toucan on the front. It’s whole bean only, but they have powerful in-store grinders.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Julie1525  Sorry to say this but I think your guests left with your Starbucks coffee.  We decided to purchase a Keurig coffee maker for our listing.  It is stocked with an assortment of coffee pods for the guests to use.  I keep the sugar in a restaurant style dispensor and a small tin is filled with Mini-Moo creamers.   Guests that prefer hot tea have a kettle and a selection of teas.