how to direct guests to find house manual, house rules, check in info, directions

Joi0
Level 3
Blacksburg, VA

how to direct guests to find house manual, house rules, check in info, directions

I have a recurring problem of guests asking me for all the information that I have already provided in my listing. I don't mind answering their questions but I would also really like to know how to direct them to the information through their booking details. After the booking is made, where is the following informaiton located for them?

-check in info

-directions

-house manual

-house rules

Are there links to all of these on their itinerary? Or do they have to hunt for it?

It seems odd that it's not obvious to them where to access this info.

Thank you for the help!

37 Replies 37
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Joi0 - your guests will have an itinerary with all that information - you can see it by going to "Your reservations" > your upcoming reservations, click on "print confirmation" & you'll see their itinerary all ready for them to print out. I haven't been an Air BNB guest but guests have left their print-outs at our place so I know they exist. Hope that helps! Karen

Thank you!

Sharon64
Level 10
Tampa, FL

I was having some of the same issues because people just don't read the manual in the site. I put a copy of "things to do" while in Tampa and also note in my greeting letter items liike the location of WIFI, emergency information,  no outside guests, light cooking only during regular mealtime, closest  laundrymat, etc. When they check in I ask them to please read the informaton. 

Hi, Thought I would reply in case this helps... I have a notebook on the coffee tabel that has all this info. and when I greet my guest this is the first thing I show them. So far this has worked for me.

@Joi0, I have a folder in a guestroom drawer containing the House Rules (which are also stated in my listing) and other information. Including the wi-fi details. On guests' arrival, I inform them that the wi-fi info is in the House Rules folder in their room.

At least that way I know they'll have to at least skim through the material to find the info they want.

(I've noted though that most guests have already read the rules in the listing, as they invariably remove their shoes as soon as they've climbed the entrance stairs.)

Michelle50
Level 3
Falls Church, VA

I have a SINGLE SHEET in a clear sheet protector on colored paper which sits on the coffee table, and includes the WiFi password, the house rules (in a bullet list), my home address, and my phone number(s).

I have a statement on the paper which indicates that use of WiFi consitutes agreement to follow house rules (besides having to agree to follow the house rules through Airbnb booking) - and I STILL get guests failing to follow very simple basic rules, such as "Lock the Door when you check out" and "Turn off all the Lights when you leave"...etc.

I think it is just about people being too lazy to bother to read and they just "click agree" when they feel it is a barrier...*sigh*

We have a pdf with all of the pertinent information--and email it to the guests a week before arrival. Most print and bring it with them (it includes driving directions in remote areas, i.e., where phones may not work).

It also helps to have a house manual and rules posted, so the guests who didn't book are aware of rules, expectations, check-out time, etc.

It is a great opportunity to provide extras (recommend hikes, day trips, charters, the best restaurants, secret beaches, etc.)

I have a prewritten reply in the airbnb app that I created...it has stopped ALL of those annoying questions.  

Thanks for your reservation.  Please see the airbnb reservation info for all house access, wifi, instructions, etc.  

I have a serious problem with this and I think Airbnb needs to address the "user experience" essentially. We live in a digital world and I do not think having a printout of things contained in the House Manual solves the problem as it can only be read AFTER a guest arrives and I want guests to read, and agree to what is in the House Manual before arrival. There are details in my house manual that are clearly not appropriate for travelers still in the pre-booking phase (access points, neighbor bios, etc) - I REQUIRE that guests read the house manual, and I send follow up emails YET, even though I ask this specifically of each guest, I find that they are often confused and simply do not see or find the manual.  It is very frustrating and I think that it should be fixed within the airbnb app and online interface to be required that guests read the manual and sign off on it with a click of acknowledgment somewhere online.  So far, the best way I word things is to acknowledge the problem and actually say:

"The House Manual only becomes available after booking and is located in your reservation detals. This is an important guide to visiting my home and all guests are required to read it throughly before arrival. Please read the profile, house rules, and house manual and respond in a message that you have found all three and include any questions you may have before your arrival"

Soemthing like that works well, but it STILL is clear that people simply do not read it. It's crazy. 

AIRBNB - PLEASE fix this and make it easier on hosts to inform their guests!

Kay Show
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Kristen56,

Nice to meet you. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and joining in this discussion here. 

In terms of your comments here, what would you like to see implemented to help address this or suggestions on how to improve this? 

Looking forward to hearing your ideas.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Make it easy for a guest to see the house manual from the app. I’m a guest and host since 2010 and for the life of me I can’t find the house manual in the app as a guest 

I wish I could "like" your comment more than once.  

Just make the House Manual obvious to find and also - make it MANDATORY for guests to read. Literally link to it and have the check something off/verify "I have read the House Manual". Same with House Rules. I literally have to cut and paste this info into a message with EVERY guest and waiting until after they arrive to get this info just causes problems. Please fix this.

Kay Show

AGREE 100%%%