how to disconnect your Facebook account from Airbnb

how to disconnect your Facebook account from Airbnb

How to  disconnect my personal  Facebook account from Airbnb ? 

Thanks, 

Francoise

26 Replies 26
Sora0
Level 7
Singapore

account settings > privacy > Social Connections > untick "Share my activity with my Facebook friends that are also on Airbnb (recommended)" > save social connections

thank you @Sora0

🙂

Dan2
Level 5
Encinitas, CA

I'm having the same problem and wonder if anyone else has found a fix.
Previous guests have been starting to show up in Facebook as "suggested friends", even though I have never linked Facebook to AirBnb, use different email addresses, un-checked all boxes on AirBnb I could find about sharing my Facebook profile, and even removed the smartphone app.

Does anyone know how to stop the leak of privacy?

Thanks

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Francoise35 @Dan2 In addition to what @Sora0 has suggested, go to Edit Profile --> Trust & Verification --> and disconnect Facebook there (if it's connected, it will show there). Hope that helps! Karen

Hi Karen & Brian,

Thanks for your reply.

the odd thing is that I never did link my AirBnb account to my Facebook account. So, there was nothing for me to disconnect.

I'm still confused by and concerned about how Facebook got ahold of the information about my guests - when I have only communicated to them using the airbnb messaging service and never through facebook, email, etc.

I've tried reaching Airbnb directly to see if they can address this. No word yet...

Thanks

Job2
Level 1
Alkmaar, Netherlands

Hi Dan,

Are you using whatsapp? have you given facebook access to your contact list? If so FB can see which people you contacted and will show them as suggested friends.

Hi Job,

Thanks for that thought.

I did use Whatsapp on my phone a long time ago, so maybe it had a way to look into my list of contacts.

I have been careful to never used Facebook on my phone so I don't think they have gotten direct access. I have already closed my Facebook account and am happier in many ways.

I'm grateful for your thoughts on this.

Dan

Hi Dan,

the same thing happend to me as well - did you get any new informations/answers from Airbnb?

Thanks, Johannes

AirBnb says revealing our or our guest's personal information is not something they are doing, and others here say the same.

Evidently, anyone who use Facebook or Facebook Messenger on their phone reveals their location and the IP address where they connect to the Internet. Facebook uses this information to identify others who also are at the same location in order to make its suggestions of people we may know or want to know. Facebook shows their name and a little bit about them to help Facebook grow their network. There does not seem to be a way to turn this off in Facebook, unless you have guests who never use Facebook on their phone, or never connect to the Internet at your location. These seem unlikely that most guests would agree.

So, it's a Facebook problem.

My choice has been to stop using Facebook. It has brought other benefits, although that is another subject.

Facebook own Whatsapp

It's a facebook thing, not anything air bnb can control. 

Facebook Messenger records your location history. When it sees you and this other person suddenly overlapping in space and time, it suggests you as friends. 

Yeah it's a little creepy. 😞 Your guests turning off location services would fix it, not sure if you turning it off would have an effect since FB already associates that location with you.

I bet you're right - it's Facebook (and Messenger) being creepy.

Even though I fully deleted my Facebook accounts last year, it looks like Facebook didn't actually delete it and is still using my location information (and associated emails and phone numbers...as well as that of my guests).

It's unlikely I can have guests turn off their location services, for Facebook, Messenger or other apps.

Thanks for the insights.

Chris772
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Does anyone know why I have to use Facebook to login to my account?  I've done what has been suggested and changed 1) account settings > privacy > Social Connections > untick "Share my activity with my Facebook friends that are also on Airbnb (recommended)" and 2) Edit Profile --> Trust & Verification --> and disconnect Facebook.  I find it annoying that Airbnb will not let me create an account that is not connected to Facebook.  I will never use Airbnb if they don't allow me to separate the two.  Do you hear me Airbnb?

I am experiencing the same issue.  I have emailed them twice trying to remove FB and separate the accounts.  I do not want the 2 linked at all and may have done it on accident when I initially signed up.