how to disconnect your Facebook account from Airbnb

how to disconnect your Facebook account from Airbnb

How to  disconnect my personal  Facebook account from Airbnb ? 

Thanks, 

Francoise

26 Replies 26
Genevieve75
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

YES! I'm having exactly the same problem. I did exactly the above ^^ 

1) account settings > privacy > Social Connections > untick "Share my activity with my Facebook friends that are also on Airbnb (recommended)" and 2) Edit Profile --> Trust & Verification --> and disconnect Facebook. 

But when I logged out and tried to log back in again it said 'you've already connected with Facebook' leaving me no choice but to login with Facebook!

I almost want to delete my account and start afresh but then I'm worried my email address will have been blocked. 

That's sad to hear this issue is still continuing.

See the comment on this thread from Ange as it may be some help.

Myself, I tried changing the email address I use for airbnb and also changed the email address I used for facebook. It didn't help because facebook keeps all of the email addresses, and evidently also matches the IP address and location in our homes to tie together anyone using facebook chat. That's how facebook figured out that any airbnb guests and visitors were possible friends.

You may not wish to take the approach I did, which was to simply close my facebook account. I will attest that being away from facebook is one of the best "daily vacations" I've taken! I've enjoyed staying at many AirBnb places and it's refreshing in my everyday life to not be distracted by facebook.

Best of luck with this!

I figured out a way to avoid that blocking dialog after you try to sign in. Here are the full steps:

1) Settings -> Privacy -> Social Connections -> untick Share my activity...

2) Edit profile -> Trust & Verification -> disconnect facebook

3) Log out

4) Try to Log back in with only your email. If you get the 'You need to sign into facebook dialog' continue with step (5)

5) Log out if you're logged in. On the login page, click FORGOT PASSWORD. This will send a reset password email - go through that and reset your password. Then login again with your email. No more mandatory facebook dialog!

This worked perfectly - thanks! Can't believe it takes this many steps - Airbnb really needs to do something about this. I was actually stuck in London at 10:30pm trying to message my host to let me in and couldn't access my account! Eventually got in, but what a pain.

d to Me too (probably should be a new hashtag. I really want to ditch Facebook but can't log in any other way and under 'Trust & Verification' I'm not connected to FB. As a host, I'm going to deal with my existing bookings but close the account with Air BnB - ridiculous

@Chris772   If you are trying to do it on the Airbnb app apparently  it doesn't work, you need to do it on a computer.  I sign in with email. Other than that to unlink accounts I have that have proved tricky I have assigned different emails to each account and changed all passwords and deleted all applicable sharing apps on all accounts. Although, be careful you don't want to be locked out of any accounts and spend days trouble-shooting. Or contact Airbnb on their Twitter or FB and have them walk you through the process.

Adi22
Level 1
Seattle, WA

Here are the full steps. Note that after I went through the process that Airbnb recommended I still hit the 'You have an account with Facebook. You need to sign in with Facebook to proceed' dialog. I found a way around that (step 5 below):

1) Settings -> Privacy -> Social Connections -> untick Share my activity...

2) Edit profile -> Trust & Verification -> disconnect facebook

3) Log out

4) Try to Log back in with only your email. If you get the 'You need to sign into facebook dialog' continue with step (5)

5) Log out if you're logged in. On the login page, click FORGOT PASSWORD. This will send a reset password email - go through that and reset your password. Then login again with your email. No more mandatory facebook dialog!

This works! The FB association is totally gone once you do this, but you can also go in to your profile and delete your FB Profile picture from "my pictures" if its' still showing up. 

Indu0
Level 1
Salt Lake City, UT

Hi everyone,

I just had the same issue and managed to disconnect my Facebook with your advice, thank you.

But when I logged in, I noticed that all of my messages (even from my current guest) are gone. I am able to access the message through the backwards method of (Host --> Hosting Dashboard --> Scrolling down and clicking on contact --> Message) but I really want to be able to just access it from my Inbox.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,

Indu

Kate704
Level 1
Altrincham, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

there’s some really interesting info and helpful posts on the thread - thanks!

i’ve found that Airbnb are suggesting that I invite friends to share being a host - it is suggesting contacts from my Facebook page. I don’t have Facebook or messenger on my phone - how are Airbnb accessing my contacts and can I stop it?

i find it extraordinary that these companies assume they have the right to mine this personal information!

any help to try and unlink these accounts would be gratefully recieved!

many thanks

kate 

Patrycja9
Level 2
Sopot, Poland

Hey Guys, do you know how to disconnect my Airbnb account from LOGIN IN via Facebook?

I would like to use only email address and password (without any FB or Google verifications)

Thanks!

Steve980
Level 1
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom

The only way that worked is 1) click Forget Password, 2) a link will be sent to your email to change your password, CHANGE IT. 3) You will be back on ABB and they will try to force you back on FB, do not click it. Then, 4) Change you email address. 

From then, you'll be able to log on using email not FB.

I just tried it, IT WORKED.

I saw first 2 of the info above on another conversation stream and I added my own ideas to it. Now it's working for me.