how to mention minor problems in review

Carla427
Level 2
Arlington, VA

how to mention minor problems in review

I recently had guests who did several things I am not happy about, but they weren't huge things.  However, I don't want to write my usual review of lovely guest, recommend them.  I remember a while ago seeing some reviews that had "code" ways to mention things without being really negative, yet still alerting other hosts.  The main issue I have problems with is that the guests used things I hadn't said they could.  My husband always leaves out drip coffee in the kitchen, which other than storing a few things in our refrigerator isn't shared with guests.  These guests looked in a top cupboard and took out fine dinnerware plates for their breakfast, when everyday plates were easily within reach.  I don't want to say they were horrible guests, but it made me very suspicious of other things they might have done when we were at work and they were in our house.  Any suggestions for the review?

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

hello @Carla427 ,

If you don't want guest use certain things you should hide them away or mention it upfront.

'the guests used things I hadn't said they could" is not the right way. If there are no other problems then the one you mentioned (not be able to determine other facts, as you are only "suspicious"), i would not make a big issue of it and give them an above average review.

Best regards, Emiel

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Carla427   You say the guests took good dinnerware for their breakfast, but you say the kitchen is not available for guest use, other than using the fridge. You need to be clear with guests about what they are and are not allowed to use, both in your listing info (which I see you are)  and re-interated on arrival.  Perhaps you might put a small fridge and a coffee maker in the guest quarters? A couple of coffee mugs, plates and bowls so they could at least have a bowl of yoghurt and fruit if they want, rather than having to go out for breakfast?

@Carla427

I think I get where you are coming from.......I had a similar experience with a previous guest as well. Nothing major..... but you clearly do not want to imply they were in any way "good" guests.

IMO, you can either leave a totally unenthusiastic review (Guests stayed X days.) or be specific with a twist (Guests stayed X days and were generally nice and quiet but would like to mention I was honestly a bit surprised that the guests went through the trouble of taking out our fine dinnerware which we use on special occasions from the top cupboard when there were plenty of everyday plates within reach. Thankfully there was no permanent damage but based on personal experience with these guests, would not recommend for shared listings.)  

I agree with @Emiel1 that it is better to be very clean and upfront about what is off-limits to guests - Here are the plates/cups/utensils. Please use these only, and if you don't see what you need, please ASK for assistance instead of going thru all the cupboards and drawers. / This area/The 2nd floor/The basement are host-only private spaces so please do not enter. But my experience is, the types that have no clue about basic manners will do whatever they like regardless of rules or polite requests.

When I asked my previous guest to please take care and turn lights off when you leave home, he smiled said "Of course! I'm sorry I left the lights on and I'll try not to forget" and then......for the next week he left not only the lights in the guest room and guest bath on but ALSO most of the lights in the shared living room and kitchen as well. (It was a bright sunny day. Curtains were open and sunlight was flooding into the living room and kitchen. No need for lights AT ALL!) When I asked him to please to larger loads of laundry and reminded him that we allow 1 load per week, he appologized saying he had no socks but then kept doing teeny tiny loads of 5~7 items per load every 2~3 days. This guest also snooped - Henry heard him go through our cupboards and cabinets and drawers one day the guest thought he was alone in the house. He didn't break any major house rules and he was always polite but he did whatever he wanted and was passive-agressive. Maybe some hosts don't care about this type of attitude as long as they make money and there isn't any permanent damage but I'm not that kind of host.

.  Thanks for our response.  I get that guests "can" touch anything within reach, but to those who responded "just expect it"  I have to say, that I have a guests in one room in my home, the rest of my home is there because I live here and can't put "it" away, and I expect guests to respect my space.  I just want to share with other hosts that this is the type of guest who will do this, instead of giving the guest a perfect review.  So thanks for your suggestions.  

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

My motto is:  If it's within reach, guests will find/touch/use it.  Anything I absolutely don't want guests to use I put out of sight and reach.  

Philip-and-Augusto0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

We make it clear when we tour the house on arrival what is on/off limits and this information is printed on a "welcome" card in their room. We ask them to read it and let us know if they have any questions. We find this deals with most issues.