how to turn down my guest request of doing excise in my house

Kelly638
Level 1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

how to turn down my guest request of doing excise in my house

My guest asked if she can do excrise in the room. I told if she goes the living room instead. After days,  I found its really annoying me that she turns music on and occpied the living room for hours. How can I say to her? 

9 Replies 9
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Kelly638

Well take a deep breath..

How about telling the guest you don't mind the exercise but.... some aspects of it are too excessive in retrospect and not what you expected.

Perhaps agree a strict limit on the duration of exercise time, a suitable time and a limit on the volume or use of earphones instead.

Otherwise point the guest to a place she can exercise appropriately, local club/gym or park or even walking up Salisbury Crags or some of the famous steep staircases off the Royal Mile.

Kelly638
Level 1

I had spoken to her and told her to get a yoga mat. She said she just does some stretch nothing big, only one hour a day. I really hate it, honestly. 

Mel101
Level 10
Amsterdam, NL

You're going to have to let her know, @Kelly638. I'd probably start by apologising that you've changed your mind about the suitability of your home for exercise, and that on reflection, you'd prefer her to use xx nearby facility or park instead.

Kelly638
Level 1

I don’t know why people want to do exercise in short term Airbnb. If just short stay, I’d prefer go out or see something in town. Especially, Edinburgh so beautiful, lots things u can look around. 

Unfortunately, she insisted that she only needs an hour and she doesn’t feel there is anything wrong. So, i givn up and told her to get a yoga mat. I was really speechless. 

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kelly638What exactly is the problem - the music, or that she's occupying the living room?  If the latter, I don't understand why you told her to use the living room when she was happy to do it in her room.  It's only yoga - tbh I would have just done it in my room and not even asked you about it. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kelly638  I also don't understand the issue. Why did you tell her to use the living room? What was wrong with her doing her hour of yoga a day in her room? Just tell her to either lower the volume of the music or use earbuds. Lots of people do an hour of daily yoga practice, no matter where they are, it's a part of their daily routine. I've had several guests do that. Your guest is definitely not doing anything wrong.

@Kelly638

I even have an extra yoga mat (and foam roller and massage roller balls) at home available for guest use for those who want to do a bit of stretching exercises or yoga.

As long as they respect quiet time, they aren't stomping on the floors, and music isn't too loud, I don't see what the problem is. If you hate guests being in the shared living room space for even an hour that much....... why are you hosting a private room in your home?

Hi, all

Firstly, I didn’t see how she did the exercise, only I heard huge shaking sound from her room.  Secondly, when she moved to the living room, she put music on. ( I can hear clearly from second floor )  However, I went to check if she could put the music down a bit, then what I saw was she playing the phone on the ground. I politely asked how long it’s gonna take, she replied another hour. 

Anyway, I just express my feeling here and already leave her alone. Thank you everyone! 

Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

She sounds pretty normal. I wouldn’t make a big deal out of it. If it were me.... honestly.  I’d do it longer just because you seemed irritated. If i rent a space I’m going to use it. Keep in mind when people stay in your space they don’t want to tip around you. Just saying. @Kelly638