i would like to talk about the guest comunication

Answered!
Leslie306
Level 3
Marsaskala, Malta

i would like to talk about the guest comunication

Hi any one have noticed that if the guestfind it difficult to speak an international language which is the english language reflects on the host as bad communication? have you also noticed that guests that makes a mess in the house are those that gives you a bad rating and say that the house wasn't clean? I am writting here so that when you rate your guest and write revies on your guests please write the truth. doing this you will be leading the next host to get rid of certain untrustfull guests. from my side i always wrote the truth but unfortunatly I have accepted guest because of there good reviews and than I find that they are totally opposite.

1 Best Answer

I used to choose by instinct but now a days you can't without a photo. The only way hosts can help each other is by writing the truth on the guest like that mess and rude guest will be eliminated. We do not have to worry as there will be still loads of other guests arround to choose from.

View Best Answer in original post

24 Replies 24
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Leslie306 

Oh yes, of course we noticed 🙂

....and the guest who is unreachable and late on the day of arrival will ding you for check-in and communication ?

.... and those who never bother to read your listing will complain about accuracy ?

Leslie306
Level 3
Marsaskala, Malta

I am reallyreally angry about this. Last I have accepted where a couple of French which have told me that they can talk just a little bit in English. I have told the that I was at the beginning of the street and sent then photo of my balcony the only one of four half round in the street. Stupidly they went on the other side where the street has a closed end. I've been seeing their review, 3 star for check in and 3 star for comunication. I was trying to communicate with Google translator with them and they gave me 3 star for communication. I think that I deserved a medal for being patient

@Leslie306    Ah! I had that once, they got lost because they hadn't taken down the address or directions and I actually had to go out and find them and bring them back here.  3 stars for communication and check-in.  I speak their language fluently it was they who did not speak any other language but their own, and they who did not write the address.   I have definitely noticed guest projection - low rating because of their own errors and bad behavior.

But, in terms of ratings I think part of the problem is also the difference between hosts who share their listing and those who don't.  My space is shared with me,  I have daily oversight so people are less likely to be badly behaved and if there is a problem I see it straight away, can address it immediately and tell the guest not to do it,  (some do get offended and retaliate with lower stars, the petty backlash).  If they persist after being reminded I do down rate them.   But a higher star rating because I live here and have oversight and thus few to no problems may well be a problem for listing with no oversight because there is no one around to remind the guest of the rules.  As for 3 or less I always give that if warranted. 

What criteria do other hosts have for star ratings?  Is 5 only given for absolute perfection?

Leslie306
Level 3
Marsaskala, Malta

I absolutely agree with you. Same me, they share my own apartment the place where I live. I do the same if there is a problem, I face them straight away.

What I would like is a little bit of more fairness from the hosts when they write a review. I got badly caught with those reviews the hosts leaves because I trusted them and I found the opposite of what has been written. 

@Leslie306    I take host reviews and ratings with a pinch of salt. I also take first-time guests  with no reviews so I have to rely on instinct. I double down by sending my rules in a message, telling them this is not a hotel and encouraging them to ask questions. I usually get a good sense of what they will be like from their response and I am more right than wrong,  bar one or two rare cases.  Sometimes I read reviews the guests have left for prior hosts, that can also give you an idea if they are entitled and irresponsible.

I used to choose by instinct but now a days you can't without a photo. The only way hosts can help each other is by writing the truth on the guest like that mess and rude guest will be eliminated. We do not have to worry as there will be still loads of other guests arround to choose from.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Ahhh I had this guest. Recently I had someone ask to check in about 8 hours earlier and I said yes- as I needed to be somewhere but mentioned that the space will not be ready most probably but they can leave their luggage and collect a set of keys. Once ready will place it in their room and lock up, messaging them accordingly. 

I get there 15 mins before and check everything is fine for check in and nothing. No response to emails, no messages to say their flight was delayed and two hours passed. But it’s fine as I use this time to work! I then get a message saying that they have decided to wait for check in time as to ensure the room is ready even though by now it is. I mention this and they say it’s no issue. I get frustrated and mention the last two hours and how it’s rude to not even apologise and they say- « sorry but yeh, 6pm ». SMH 

Review times comes and I get a 4* for Check in despite having to come to the apartment twice for them and even the second time had to wait 30 mins! Ahhh but I am annoyed for 5 minutes and then remember life is short and for this moments there are cocktails! All is good again! 🙂

Before I started with this airbnb I never taught that you can have a guest in your house who do not care to make a mess in your house in your face while sharing your property.  With some guests I ended up telling the, "I am your host and not your maid" 

Michelle1358
Level 4
North Carolina, United States

We've been lucky so far -- only hosting since January and all great guests....I worry that the clock is ticking on someone disasterous....

Make a wish and keep your fingers crossed 😉 

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Michelle1358 Please take this all with a pinch of salt. The negative is about 0.01% of all experiences (at least for me and have been hosting for 3 years)- they just seem more prominent as these are the ones we remember. Good luck to you and keep on going. Have a beautiful day! 🙂 

Michelle1358
Level 4
North Carolina, United States

Thank you @Yadira22 .   I will sleep better tonight!  We truly enjoy hosting!

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Leslie306 I agree with you that hosts should be more accurate in their reviews of guests.  We should develop a "host code":  

"More suited to a hotel":  Thinks you're his maid.

"Very relaxed about communication":  Didn't answer a single message.  Until he had a problem.

"Really made himself at home":  At home where his mama picks up after him and does his laundry.

"Footloose and fancy free":  Doesn't observe check-in and check-out times and can't follow directions.

By the way, I checked your listings, which look amazing.  But this might just be my favorite review of all time (translated by Google):

"I didn't know what towel to use to wipe the water on the floor. He silently wiped it, and only reminded me that there was no blame. Very recommended Leslie's house."

@Ann72 I don't understand why hosts insist on writing in code. Is it to spare the feelings of the guest?

In the reviews for guests that I've rated poorly for breaking house rules, communication or cleanliness I state that the guest was messy/ignored house rules/failed to let me know about check in etc. Any additional feedback to the guest about why their behaviour was an issue I send in the private feedback to them. Not one guest has responded to their review - when they misbehave they seem to know it.