inconsistent AirBnB service fee

Bren0
Level 1
Singapore

inconsistent AirBnB service fee

I understand the service fee charged to guests fluctuate according to currency rates, dates and periods booked. 

However, my friend and I are looking at the same listing at the same time, trying to book the same period and dates but the service fee differs of about $5! If it's justified, we have no qualms to pay - currency exchange rates etc but we're looking at the booking at this very second and it's not the same cost. We have to book from the account that's being charged a higher fee as the previous host cancelled our booking and we wish to utilize the credits without going through the troublesome refund process. 

Or could this 'credit' be transferred to another account?

6 Replies 6
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hello @Bren0.  I am not sure I have the answer but one thought I had was whether you and your friend were in the same country or looking at the rates using the same currency.  As you have mentioned currency fluctuates.  

My friend and I live in the same country and are looking at the rates using the same currency with the same internet network in the same house and even tried using the same computer. 

I understand the AirBnb charges USD so even if the listing is in our country's currency, it's pegged to the US exchange rate?

Cheri5
Level 1
Philadelphia, PA

Airbnb seems to have jacked up the guest service fees and it's keeping guests from booking. For a long-term rental, the fee was $1000!! Who is going to pay that. It was 10%!! If this continues, I'm moving to another platform. 

@Cheri5  You do not mention the total booking cost which would have to be $10,000, right?  

right. Fees used to be 3% or so, now they're up to 9-10%. Too much. 

@Cher0  The host fee in my area is 3% and the guest fee is 10%.  Been the same for a long time.  Where is your listing?  I know there are some differences depending on location.