Rhode Island, US

inquiry to stay for 77 days

they also want to come check the place out

1 Best Answer
Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jules106 

It's certainly a good idea to meet a prospective guest who wishes to stay for this length of duration.

However, viewings are not encouraged by Airbnb. (See copy of the question from website Help below)

My way of dealing with it is to request Guest makes a minimal booking of a single night.

It doesn't mean they'll stay the night, but they can have their viewing and I'm compensated for my time.

=============

What should I do if a guest wants to see my place before booking?

Typically, Airbnb only releases contact information for hosts and guests after a reservation is confirmed.

If a guest requests a viewing of your space before they book, encourage them to review your listing description and photos, and be available to answer any additional questions they have about your space.

Reservation and payment also needs to be made directly through the Airbnb platform. This helps ensure that you're protected under our Terms of Service, cancellation and refund policies, Host Guarantee, Host Protection Insurance programme, and other safeguards

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jules106 

It's certainly a good idea to meet a prospective guest who wishes to stay for this length of duration.

However, viewings are not encouraged by Airbnb. (See copy of the question from website Help below)

My way of dealing with it is to request Guest makes a minimal booking of a single night.

It doesn't mean they'll stay the night, but they can have their viewing and I'm compensated for my time.

=============

What should I do if a guest wants to see my place before booking?

Typically, Airbnb only releases contact information for hosts and guests after a reservation is confirmed.

If a guest requests a viewing of your space before they book, encourage them to review your listing description and photos, and be available to answer any additional questions they have about your space.

Reservation and payment also needs to be made directly through the Airbnb platform. This helps ensure that you're protected under our Terms of Service, cancellation and refund policies, Host Guarantee, Host Protection Insurance programme, and other safeguards

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jules106  Reasons not to allow pre-viewings:

Security risk. These are complete strangers. You really have no idea what their intentions are.

Hosts who've done this say it was a waste of their time- guests never went on to book,

Guests may use this as an opportunity to try to pressure you to book off-platform.

Reasons not to take long-term bookings:

Guests staying over 30 days may fall under landlord/tenant laws and if they won't leave after their time is up you may have a hard time getting them out.(I realize some hosts live where there are restrictions on shorter bookings, though)

If the guest is objectionable in some way, you'll have to put up with them for a long time.

I agree with @Alon1's suggestion- a one night booking so they can check out if they like it, and you can get a sense if you want to host them that long. If I did this, and I thought "No way", I'd probably offer them a refund of the one night, minus my expenses, including my time, since they wouldn't have booked it for one night if they didn't think it was a prelude to a long-term booking.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

re. Viewing charge.

I developed this idea from viewings requested by photo/film productions. They always want viewings,

so I learned to charge them for my time, to be deducted from agreed price for shoot in case it materializes.

For viewings for regular stays, I normally have an agreed price via 'Special Offer'.

@Alon1  Sounds like a smart way to handle it. Have you ever had a guest who took you up on the special offer "viewing" and complain because they decided not to take it for longer, or you indicted that you didn't think it was a good fit?

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

Firstly, It's very rare with regular guests. Though it last happened twice in September. In each case a Chinese female student.

One booked a single night at full price. We had a pleasant chat but she decided the place wasn't suitable. (She was attracted by the character of the flat, but she was looking for a higher spec modern place). She didn't ask for a refund of any sort, and she left on amicable terms.

The other booked for 2 nights because she wanted to experience sleeping in the house for at least a night, and see how she felt. She ended up staying several weeks.

The latter is also the more common way that uncertain guests prefer it, book a few nights and decide if they wish to extend.. If I'm comfortable with the person then I'll grant the extension. I don't recall turning anyone down.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jules106  P.S. Your place looks super comfy- love your garden.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Alon1's suggestion makes perfect sense. Tell them to book one night to see how it goes. It's not like they are moving furniture and all of their belongings in. With Airbnb there's no urgency or need to lock in the entire 77 days at one place. They can split their stays into several places. Maybe YOU decide that you don't want to deal with this guest. Don't book anyone for more than 29 nights in succession.