instant booking doesn't work on my account

Marco1212
Level 2
Taormina, Italy

instant booking doesn't work on my account

Hi, I have contacted airbnb by phone already 5 times, regarding this issue, but still nobody can help.

I have 5 listing on my accounts, last summer I have already worked with the instant bookings and everything was fine, since 1 months now, this doens't work anymore.

I have activated it, but when you go in one of the listing appears the button "request to book" or "send a request" , there is no way to activate the button "Book"

How this is possible and why airbnb doesn't want to fix this issue? 

Can anyone helps here?

best regards

Marco

21 Replies 21
Craig178
Level 7
Maryland, United States

Hi Marco, 

I have been without Instant Book since Octobe 31st. My listing shows only if I don't use the Instant Book filter. My bookings completely stopped. I am loosing a lot of money. I contacted Airbnb through their messaging system (all my cases were closed without providing me with any answeres to this issue). I also called, and Airbnb reps. hung up on me twice. Eventially,  I got a response that Airbnb is looking into the problem.

I believe my account was flagged by Airbnb and I am possible penalized for something that I am not aware of. I have not cancelled any reservations and I have a 91% review rate, I am superhost, and have zero cancellations on my account.

At the end of October, I asked Airbnb to cancel a reservation on my behalf because the guest broke 3 of my house rules. Airbnb cancelled it without ever telling the guest the reason for the cancellation. The guest rebooked my house again. I callled and Airbnb cancelled again. I was assured by two different Airbnb reps. that those cancellations were penalty free for me because the guest broke my house rules. After this, I lost my Instant Book.

After that I got 2 strange bookings: 1 guest booked my house, but did not pay according to Airbnb and his reservation was cancelled by Airbnb. Another guest wanted to book my house for a year, though I don't do long term bookings (I did not decline the request, but  just explained the guest that I don't do long term bookings). More than likely, these two bookings are going to be counted against me???

I don't know what to do. Any thoughts, suggestions?

Marco1212
Level 2
Taormina, Italy

Hi Craig, it looks like it's not an isolate case, actually I don't know what to do, because nobody can't help either by phone or email....

Craig178
Level 7
Maryland, United States

You are correct. I know several people who are in the same situation - have no clue why Instant Book filter is disabled on their accounts. Please note that it won't help you to create a new listing (I tried). The Instant Book filter is disabled on my account from Airbnb side. I remember vividly when I was talking to Airbnb rep. who cancelled the guest's reservation (without ever explaining the guest why it was cancelled), so this rep. asked me why I was using Instant Book if I wanted for Airbnb to cancel this reservation. I told him that the guest broke 3 of my rules, which clearly state not to book my house by using Instant Book before answering my questions and getting my approval to book. I can only assume, but I believe that was why me Instant Book was disabled.

I think it would be honest if Airbnb told me that I am penalized and I have to wait (give me a time-frame) to get out of this penalty. At least, I would not that it is going to end. The matter is that I did nothing wrong, did not do any cancellations, perform exceptionally well and (possibly got penalized for something that I have not done).

Sad situation and no help...

Craig178
Level 7
Maryland, United States

It is my assumption, that it's in Airbnb's best interest to spend their resources to recruit new hosts. With the same resources that they devote to one of us, they can bring on 10 new hosts. Think about how well they treated you when you first started and how their customer service and treatment of a superhost declined over time. I was recently hung up on twice.

If it was only about money, I would do the same as Airbnbn is doing - because growth is the most important thing for a company. At the present time, they are going rapidly and they don't need to cater to established hosts. However, soon it will come back to bite them when growth slows, as all companies do. Companies don't grow at accelerated rate forever.

I feel that I am on my own without any resolution coming from Airbnb to reinstall the Instant Book feature on my listing.

By the way, do your remember how low you listing price was when you just started... You brough a lot of guests to Airbnb with your low prices. When you built your reputation, got tons of reviews - you increased your prices. That's when Airbnb does not need you anymore. Don't get me wrong, they like having you, but they will not cater to you because you won't help their company to grow.

Jan83
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

Hey Marco,

Im in the same situation since beginning of November. I wrote to Airbnb many times and the same result, they used their common phrases and then they closed the case. And I saw here that there are more people with the same problem. Maybe it would help if we all write on Twitter of Airbnb, maybe they would do something with that because of bad reputation.

Marco1212
Level 2
Taormina, Italy

Hi Jan,

thanks for your post, yes this could be a nice idea, should we stard do it? If you can contact the other people would be nice.

I did not start yet because I dont have a Twitter yet but I will make it this weekend

Craig178
Level 7
Maryland, United States

At 5:07am I received an inquiry to book my house, though, my account setting shows that the Instant Book feature is on. As I mentioned before, guests are unable to use Instant Book to book my house. Last night, I spoke with a Airbnb and they said that my account was in good standing and that I was not penalized for anything (I asked what I need to do on my part to get the Instant Book back?). I am a superhost, have 100% response rate, have a 91% review rate and 5 star ratings. Everyting looks good on the outside, but I believe that my account was flagged and no one from Airbnb explains why and how long the Instant Book will be deactivated.

The message I received from Airbnb is a direct proof that my account was flagged and that the Instant

Book feature was disabled.

The message I received (please note, that I update my calendar daily).

"You’re seeing this because we sometimes require hosts to accept a reservation request even when they have Instant Book turned on. You’re most likely to see this when you haven’t updated your calendar in a while or you’ve recently canceled a reservation".

Please see my posts above that explain why I ask Airbnb to cancel one of my guest's reservation. Airbnb assured me that it would be penalty free cancellation - and now, I can see that my account was put in the penalty box that I have no clue how to get out.

Any advice?

Susan89
Level 4
Eldorado Springs, CO

I have the same problem. Around a month ago the bookings practically stopped. Then I got a reservation request, stating the reason I was receiving a request was because I didn't update my calendar or recently made a cancellation, neither of which was true. I called Airbnb twice to try and figure out what was going on. Then I got two more reservation requests yesterday and took a closer look at my listing and noticed that it said "Request to book" instead of "Book." Instant Book had been turned off, and not by me. I called Airbnb again and the person helping me tried to have me edit my settings (which were set already on the non-functioning Instant Book). She put me on hold for quite a while, not a good sign. She then told me that quite a few hosts are calling with the same problem and they're trying to fix it, with no knowledge of when this issue will be resolved. She mentioned some kind of glitch with the website. In the meantime, I'm not getting many bookings, and December, which is a travel and vacation month, is here. I told her this is presenting a hardship for hosts and they need to get it fixed asap. I will call again if this continues. This is not acceptable.

Craig178
Level 7
Maryland, United States

Susan, I am so sorry to hear that you have a similar problem. I think that we all have to call and send messages to the Airbnb customer service daily to get some action and hopefully to resolve this issue with Instant Book.

I personally now write to them and call everyday asking them to resolve the issue with Instant Book.

Please join me in making daily calls and sending them messages daily.

Thanks, Craig. How do you message customer service?

Craig178
Level 7
Maryland, United States

Hi Susan,

To contact Airbnb, go to your Inbox. At the very bottom of the page (on the left hand-side), you will see the title Airbnb and the sub-category "Help". Click on “Help”. It will bring you to the next page titled "How can we help you?" Scroll to the very bottom of the page. Above the graphic picture of a city (on the right hand side), click on the box titled "Contact us". It will bring you to another page titled the same "Contact us". Select the following option to contact Airbnb - "It's something else". It will bring you to the page titled “Contact us”. Select the option “Message us” and type you message to Airbnb (the sure make it complex to find it).

I just sent the Airbnb another message inquiring why the Instant Book on my account is not working and asking them to activate it. Unfortunately, the Airbnb closed the case (my inquiry) without ever responding to me. Very sad. I don’t know what to do… I am without bookings, and loosing a lot of money. I guess, I will think now twice before I ask Airbnb to cancel the guest's booking (because of the guest's violation of my house rules) penalty free.

Good luck!

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I am in the same situation, and i'll bet there are plenty of others in the same boat.

I'm a super host who asked Airbnb to cancell a reservation when an upcoming guest insisted on adding an additional person over my max. amount. I told her I don't do that and suggested she find something that would be a better fit- she refused saying she'd already "shared the itinerary". I contacted Airbnb support, the rep looked thru our communications & agreed that the guest had violated my terms and cancelled the reservation. Now, guests need to seek pre-approval and my previously packed calendar is empty.

I am starting to list on other sites as I have little faith that this will be fixed any time soon (look what has happened to those poor Australian hosts they stopped getting payments for bookings and this went on for 6 weeks and still isn't totally solved) The customer support person I emailed claims that my Instant book is doing "Good and great" . Nope.  I went with Airbnb in the first place because it had the instant book feature & the prettiest and most customizable web site but sheesh, things seem to be sliding downhill fast

.If you go to help at the top left corner and then click on hosting there's a spot to send an email. I'm sending one daily but getting denials that anything is wrong. I would reccomend starting to list on other sites- a pain I agree, but what else can you do? Sally

Craig178
Level 7
Maryland, United States

Thanks Sally for your response. It is hard to believe that we are being penalized for something that is supposed to be penalty free.

I think that I would be better of if I cancelled a reservation on my own. At least, I would know the true terms and conditions that apply to super hosts when they cancel the reservation. In our instance, we are in the dark - the Airbnb does not provide any explanations as to why we have no Instant Book and most importantly when the Instant Book feature will be re-activated on our accounts.

What do you mean Australian hosts stopped getting payments? I have a guest who booked me in September and who will be checking in tomorrow. So, now I will not be paid in for their stay as a part of punishment??? I hope it is not the case...