instant booking

instant booking

Hi, it's been a couple of days since I signed up here. I saw on the calendar there's this option:

"For Instant Book hosts: Allow guests to send reservation requests without advance notice."

which is deactivated in my case. However, I got an instant booking 2 days ago and I see that I would get a penalty if I cancel it. Does anyone know what I should have done?

41 Replies 41

Many thanks Andrea, I have found the contact number for my area and will have a go. Lets hope it works!

Chrissie0
Level 1
Salisbury, United Kingdom

I also had an instant booking after I de-activated.  I do think there is a glitch in the system.  It's very frustrating not being able to contact even a chatline at airbnb for help with this type of issue...

Sara105
Level 1
Bridport, United Kingdom

I also have instant bookings coming through

help

how do I turn it off ?

will I be charged for now cancelling

it is for Sunday and monday

thanks  Sara

Maralyn0
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hi Chrissie

I agree - must be a glitch in the system, but very worrying.  How do you send a message to Airbnb?

I got a very snotty note from them warning me of the dire consequences of cancelling a booking - all very irritating when it is their fault.

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Sam43 While I can't say it's the case for your listing, AirBnB has recently admitted that it is conducting an "experiment" with numerous (uninformed) new hosts, in which they turn on Instant Book (without host permission and without a way for the host to opt out). This has been reported by many new hosts and *confirmed* by AirBnB. As horrible as that sort of behavior is, AirBnB hasn't backed off or apologized. Many, many complaints have been submitted. If you believe this has been forced on your listing, please submit your own complaint.

Here are ways to contact AirBnB:  Contact Airbnb

Hey guys, thank you for your comments. Just in case it was not clear to someone, the instant booking (the phrase I mentioned above) was with absolute certainty off. This being said, I contacted AirBnB just now. While they do not admit it was their mistake, they told me that they've being seeing this problem quite often (whatever it means). Anyway, my reservation has been canceled and everything is fine now. Thank you for your support anyway. 🙂

Glad your issue was resolved. I'd be livid if instabook was forced on me. It's my home, and I am entitled to be careful with who I'm admitting. If I was unable to screen for people I felt were not a good fit, I'd definitely be withdrawing my listing.

Maralyn0
Level 2

Hi

Can someone tell me where I deactivate Instant Booking.  I have been registered as a host for a few months and have always had the oppotunity to decline or approve a booking. Yesterday, a guest did an instant booking and I was not able to accommodate him. I don't wish to incur penalties.

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi,

Assuming you are not one of the unfortunate chosen by Airbnb for the purpose of their experiments which forces you use Instant Booking (IB) only, then you should be able to turn of IB following the steps below -

- Click Manage Listing

- select the listing you wish to edit if you have more than one

- hover on the top left side of the page to open the menu

- under Booking (Who can book instantly), choose the option 'No one. Guests who meet Airbnb’s requirements must wait for your response'

I hope this is of some help.

Ama

Maralyn0
Level 2

Hi Amaris

I replied to your email, and am now doing so on the discussion forum.

This is all very strange, becaue when I went into my settings, the box with "'No one. Guests who meet Airbnb’s requirements must wait for your response'" was already checked!

How do you think then, that my potential guest was able to do Instant Booking?

Is there any way of taking this up with Airbnb?

thanks for your help! 

Best regards

Maralyn

Ok now it's absolutely outrageuous. The same thing happened AGAIN. To make sure that you understand, the option:

"For Instant Book hosts: Allow guests to send reservation requests without advance notice."

was OFF (and always will be). By the way, the response I got from AirBnB last time was:

"I have reviewed your case and I understand you are upset that instant book was turned on automatically when you listed your space.

As this is your first cancelation I can make sure you are not penalized for it and if you have any questions about instant book please respond to this e-mail and I will be happy to help."

"Turned on automatically" means there is no way for you to turn it off.

Maralyn0
Level 2

Please can someone tell me how to contact Airbnb by email?

I have to add my voice to the complaints about Instant Booking. And their attitude (as if it is our fault) is just appalling.

I got a message from them:

"My name is Tanya and I am a case manager with Airbnb's Trip Experience team. When you sign up for Airbnb and activate your listing, guests will be able to book your space without needing to request approval. This feature can’t be turned off."

Essentially, as soon as you sign up for AirBnB, your apartment is not yours anymore.

By the way, I talked with the staff over the phone twice and they were both really friendly, and they both had to look for a solution helplessly. Anyway, they cannot help you. It's apparently a decision taken from a higher position.

They did not put it into the message, but this feature is for newcomers, although there is no definition for a "newcomer". So it may be one month or two, or five years or ten...

At least they told me that you can give your feedback on:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback?type=instant%20book

about the instant booking.

Maralyn0
Level 2

Hi Sam

Well at least we know where we stand with them now. I have registered my disatisfaction with IB through the feedback channel you gave me.

I travel a lot and can only have guests when I am here in my house - I will have to deregister as a host if they don't change it (which it looks as if they won't).

Good luck.  Keep posting if you hear anything else!