insurance

Dave112
Level 1
Covina, CA

insurance

I see that Airbnb offers a form of insurance that states it covers against liability and damage.  Does it cover against thief also?

4 Replies 4
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Dave112, you will want to spend some time in this forum looking up "insurance" and "damage" and "host guarantee" and "security deposit". You are not as covered as you might think you are... 

Really, it's well worth the time you will spend. Brace yourself for some unpleasantness. But, on the bright side, I am one of probably thousands of hosts, maybe more, who have never had a speck of trouble beyond some guest messiness. You will be seeing a very dark side, but best to be armed with knowledge.

All the best with hosting!

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Dave112  Also be aware the Host Guarantee/insurnace acts as a SECONDARY coverage to your PRIMARY homeowners insurance.  Many homeowners policies do NOT cover Airbnb/short-term rentals and there have been stories of people actually getting dropped from their carrier when the carrier finds out they're renting.  Do you homework and make sure you're covered - don't rely on Airbnb to cover you.

Thanks for your response.  I know that its tricky navigating through the insurance issue.  When I reviewed the terms of Airbnb insurance it specifically says this acts as the primary coverage.  My insurance agent said that with my current homeowner's policy thief of a TV (for instance) by a short term renter would not be covered in my policy.  I see that Airbnb says their policy covers some forms of liability or damage but does not specifically address thief.  Any thoughts of where to go to get any needed "gap" insurance?

Most homeowners policies do not cover properties used for business purposes, so you need to make sure yours does, or ask your Agent for a Policy that does cover such business activities.

David