is it normal that Airbnb start acting on behalf of host without any consent?

Akambi0
Level 1
Paris, France

is it normal that Airbnb start acting on behalf of host without any consent?

I'm really surprised how Airbnb treat his partner. Recently, I've received a request cancellation for a reservation with a strict cancellation policy. I refused the cancellation and a few days later, a case manager from Airbnb canceled the booking and refund the guest without even calling me. Since this morning, I'm trying to join Airbnb service but it looks like nobody can help me. Here are the messages sent by jeffry on my account:

Has somebody experienced the same case? How can I get my money back?

**[Private conversation removed in line with Community Center Guidelines]

4 Replies 4
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Akambi0yes, Airbnb can fully refund the guest in case of extenuating circumstances (illness, death in the family, etc..) but the guest should prove it.

Without extenuating circumstances, Airbnb can (and do) try to convince the host to give a full refund despite his strict/moderate cancelation policy but if the host refuses they should honor it.

I have to tell, I am not surprised. Today I've seen another post where the guest contacted Airbnb, said the dryer was broken and was refunded 20-50% of his stay. Airbnb informed the host AFTER the refund was already deducted from the host's payment. By doing this Airbnb went against his own TOS.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

Which TOS item are your refering to?

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Akambi0 I’m slightly confused by the first part of what you said there...

You said you refused a cancellation request. You can’t actually refuse to cancel a booking. You can refuse the refund part, if your cancellation policy is set to strict, but you can’t stop a guest from cancelling. @Branka-and-Silvia0 is right though, if a guest proves extenuating circumstances to Airbnb then they can offer a refund to the guest even if you have a strict policy.

If it was me, I would get in touch with Airbnb and ask what reason they gave a refund for. Don’t point out your policy to start with, just ask a simple question and see what they say. If they don’t immediately say that it was given because the guest proved extenuating circumstances, then you can point out your “strict” policy and demand compensation from Airbnb for their error.