Cheryl766
Level 2
Bridge of Don, United Kingdom

So... I haven't posted on the forum before but...

I've been AirBNB'ing for almost a year now. In my opinion, the option to provide stars out of 5 on the location review should be removed. Here's why;

My home is right at the beach, 4 miles from the city center (bus every 5 / 10 mins if you don't want to walk or drive). There's 6 major supermarkets between 0.5 and 5 miles of my place, there's multiple pubs / restaurants, 3 HUGE shopping malls within 5 miles, many coffee shops, a train station 4 miles away, an airport 6 miles away, shipping dock for ocean travel 3.5 miles away... my street is small, private and the garden's secluded with forestry in the area - what more does someone need? The moon plonked on the doorway??

As all rentals, the location is VISIBLE when booking as are all the amenities on the map and on my guide book. So why are people getting the option to take stars away because they aren't happy with where it is? I don't get it - its not like they are booking without any clue where they are going, or being forced to stay here. 

In my opinion - not completely happy with the location - don't stay.

10 Replies 10
Dora486
Level 10
Frigiliana, Spain

Totally agree, we’ve had a couple of 4 out of 5 recently.  The guests pick the location they want to stay in,  it’s kind of like they haven’t done their own research properly and penalising the host?   

Cheryl766
Level 2

Exactly! We already work really hard to obtain / retain great reviews... so this function just makes it even more difficult... when its not even our choice where guests choose to stay.

Maybe if enough of us get on board AirBNB will remove it 🙂

@Cheryl766   Welcome! You'll find that the near unanimous consensus among hosts is that we all agree with you. It comes up a lot in this mega-thread:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Making-reviews-more-fair-for-hosts/td-p/958608

And also this one https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Making-reviews-more-fair-for-hosts/td-p/958608

Cheryl766
Level 2

I'll check it out! Nice one

Cheryl766
Level 2

Had a look. It states "So we made it more clear in the review process that guests are rating the accuracy of your location description, rather than the location itself".......... hmmm 

Yeah, that isn't understood by many guests...

Yeah, Airbnb won't address "value" either.  I've had guests go on and on about how my place "exceeded their expectations", "better than the pictures", "host thought of everything", "will definitely return again"... and then rate it a "4".  WTH??? 

Cheryl766
Level 2

Exactly!!! OMG this is utter sh*te, honestly, I just got another 4 after they banged on about how amazing the location was "perfect for their needs etc" Im framing a note in the room about what this review actually means. So annoying!

Cheryl766
Level 2

So I replied to their review (see pic). Quite rude some might say but for £29 a night, I think I have every right to defend my case.20210909_182402.jpg

J-Evelyn0
Level 2
Queen Creek, AZ

I want an option to have the location circle expanded, so it  designates a larger area.  That way the home is not pinpointed on the map.  They will know the general area instead