lodging tax

Answered!
Hans83
Level 2
California, United States

lodging tax

Hi,

My city has a grant program, refund all lodging tax paid to them from 2017 ~ 2020. The tax rate at my city is 1.5% + 2.8%, and rep told me Airbnb should be able to generate the tax report. BUT, I chat with an Airbnb support, they cannot generate that report. The only thing Airbnb has is payout/fee report which is for us to file the income  tax.

Anyone had similar experience?

I did see guests paid tax when booking. State+County+City tax, correct?

thanks,

Hans

1 Best Answer
Patrick2829
Level 2
Kalispell, MT

Click on the listing > Transaction History > Gross earnings > Export CVS (top Right).

The CVS spreadsheet with Libra Office put the occupancy taxes in a column that can easily be summed. 

> Open the CVS File ( I accepted defaults)

> Highlight the cell below the column of tax dollar entries

> Click the SUM symbol next to where cell data is displayed just above the column labels.  (next to = sign)

> click return and the column will be summed.

There is your report.

Hope this helps. 

Peace to you all,

Patrick

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Hans83 

According to this help file the taxes should be listed in the gross earnings section (more details probably in the CSV downloads):

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1036/how-does-occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by-airbnb-...

Hans83
Level 2

Automatic tax collection
We automatically collect these taxes from guests for each booking and remit them directly to local tax authorities. Learn more
  • Accommodations Tax (Scottsdale)
  • General Sales and Use Tax (Arizona)
  • General Sales and Use Tax (Maricopa)
  • General Sales and Use Tax (Scottsdale)
  • Online Lodging Market Place Tax (Maricopa)
Hans83
Level 2

airbnb did collect tax in my city, how do I request for the tax report?

John4817
Level 1
Winchester, VA

hi, I've been working on the tax issue for months. Airbnb is utterly unhelpful. In some places, they apparently collect and remit local lodging/hotel taxes, but not where I live.

When I modify my listing to have the local/lodging/hotel tax collected, Airbnb stops collecting the Virginia state sales tax and simply send it to me for remission!

I've talk to the state of Virginia, and this isn't regular behavior. They are required as a market facilitator to remit taxes for us hosts. 

I suspect they feel that they are off the hook since I selected the "custom option" when it comes to taxes. However, there is no way in the world that my decision to pursue a path for local compliance should somehow released them from from their obligations as market facilitator. 

honestly, I think they just have an IT issue. They just need to dedicate some money to making the tax section more sensitive, so that hosts who don't wish to do Airbnb's work of remitting state sales taxes can nonetheless collect their local tax if they wish.

I've opened countless tickets trying to address this, but Airbnb is incredibly dismissive, unbelievably capable when it comes to giving short shrift, evasive, non-responsive, disingenuous, generally shady.

They are not acting like the partners they claim to be!!  Very interesting, since they depend on us/me to have a business at all.

If anyone wants to participate in my efforts to elicit some response from Airbnb, please respond, I'd love to have some support. I feel quite alone in all of this.

John

Patrick2829
Level 2
Kalispell, MT

Click on the listing > Transaction History > Gross earnings > Export CVS (top Right).

The CVS spreadsheet with Libra Office put the occupancy taxes in a column that can easily be summed. 

> Open the CVS File ( I accepted defaults)

> Highlight the cell below the column of tax dollar entries

> Click the SUM symbol next to where cell data is displayed just above the column labels.  (next to = sign)

> click return and the column will be summed.

There is your report.

Hope this helps. 

Peace to you all,

Patrick